• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inside King's Cross: CH5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sn1975

Totally agree - the drunk and disorderly passenger at the end really got my blood boiling but passengers like that I guess, sadly, are an all too regular occurrence.

Also, the MOM? at Newcastle (I think) discussing how he "copes" with dealing with the aftermath of people being struck by trains :cry:

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the iPads in the cab of that VTEC train was for?

Most of the shots I'm sure it was just showing a display saying 0MPH but in one shot it was flashing and making an alert and the screen showed "APPROACHING..." and I couldn't make out the rest!

The i Pad is used for TAS (Timetable Advisory System) which is basically a glorified schedule card.
You input your headcode before you start your journey and it's will tell you what stations you stop at and on the approach to a station that your booked to call at you will get an audible alarm together with "APPROACHING" come up on the screen.
The "0" you saw would mean the train was running to time (although there is a speedometer function you can bring up on screen)
If the train is running late you will get a "-mins" in Orange and if we're running early this changes to "+mins" in Blue.
At the moment i Pad use by drivers is not mandatory and can't be used on the clsss 90s or East Midlands HST as their is no docking facilities for them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Totally agree - the drunk and disorderly passenger at the end really got my blood boiling but passengers like that I guess, sadly, are an all too regular occurrence.

Totally out of order, but he has a point (albeit very badly made and quite rightly arrested) over the stupidity of the "Euston scrum" approach. Put the platform up as soon as it is known and provide a queueing area or lock the doors and allow people to queue by them.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The i Pad is used for TAS (Timetable Advisory System) which is basically a glorified schedule card.

Sounds a bit like the "Buchfahrplan" approach DB have used for years and the UK system long resisted. Though I believe that does a lot more and substitutes to some extent for route learning, while this I guess is supplementary.

455driver

Veteran Member
That bloke at the end wanted a good slap the ignorant idiot!

He is the sort that would write in to the Company and complain about the way the staff had treated him.

Personally once he started shouting I would have just walked away from him!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Totally out of order, but he has a point (albeit very badly made and quite rightly arrested) over the stupidity of the "Euston scrum" approach. Put the platform up as soon as it is known and provide a queueing area or lock the doors and allow people to queue by them.

Presumably he was too drunk to do like the rest of us and use a mobile to check the platform on RTT. :lol:

Antman

Established Member
In the last episode the organisation was absolutely shambolic.

Get people off the train, get them back on again. Where is the driver and crew. Nobody seemed to have a clue what was going on.

And how many engineering staff were left stood around shuffling their feet because someone had left a train where it shouldn't have been, and then they couldn't find a driver.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Get people off the train, get them back on again. Where is the driver and crew. Nobody seemed to have a clue what was going on.

At Paddington they have a policy during disruption that no train is advertised or boarded until they are sure they have both a driver and a guard for the service.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Presumably he was too drunk to do like the rest of us and use a mobile to check the platform on RTT. :lol:

RTT is the ultimate confounding factor for the Euston scrum...if word spreads sufficiently about it, it could well force the TOCs' collective hands towards a more sensible method of operation (as employed just about everywhere that isn't London or major Scottish termini).

D1009

Established Member
In the last episode the organisation was absolutely shambolic.

And how many engineering staff were left stood around shuffling their feet because someone had left a train where it shouldn't have been, and then they couldn't find a driver.
It made it appear realistic and unsanitised however.

Status
Not open for further replies.