• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjt1867

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some advice on the Structured Interview please?

I recently had my interview and sadly unsuccessful :( due to a couple of weak answers and nerves getting the better of me. Thinking about the answers I gave, I believe I may have a better one for 'Give an example of when you have followed health & safety rules?' or at least along those lines.

The answer I'm considering giving, should I be fortunate enough to get a second chance, was when I worked on the frozen and chilled sections of a supermarket. I.E. Wearing appropriate clothing and footwear, ensuring chillers and freezers are at correct temperatures and report if not, keep boxes stacked in a safe fashion and only leaving food out for a certain amount of time due to health reasons, etc.

My question is, I worked here over twenty years ago and not even on my application form as I didn't need to go that far back, but I was wondering if you think it would still be an appropriate reply, given the length of time? I Have worked in an office since and struggling to think of suitable H&S examples.

All the best,
Mjt1867

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Traintobe

I thought the question was an example of when you've followed rules and procedures?
What was your previous answer?

Mjt1867

Hi Traintobe,

My reply was fire safety in the office, and drill practice procedures.

Cheers

Traintobe

Think your first answer could've been to broad and not enough about what you did, as long as it's more individual and about you I think you'll be alright

Mjt1867

Yes, good point. That's why I was thinking the second answer might be better, however, I'm concerned it might be too long ago.

EazyGuy

Any answer I tried to give in my MMI that was not in the last couple of years they wouldn't accept and prompted me for a more recent one. Not sure if that is a rule set in stone or just the way it went for me on the day. Threw me a little bit as all the answers I had put down on the form before the interview went out the window, and had to come up with new examples on the spot!

Last edited:

332 > 444

Really? I used an example from a job back in 2001, and the interviewer knew I was in the same current role for over 7 years!

ComUtoR

Established Member
I recently had my interview and sadly unsuccessful :( due to a couple of weak answers and nerves getting the better of me.

Did the feedback specifically state you had weak answers and was nervous ?

Have you reapplied or have another interview lined up or are you seeking feedback from the community ?

nathan199226

hi

i currently work in the aviation industry and fancy a change in career...

i want to be a train driver, from what i can see you need to become a trainee driver first.

what sites are best to look at for these trainee positions ?

what companies hire the most trainee ?

thanks for your help

Nathan Henry

387star

On Moderation
hi

i want to be a train driver, from what i can see you need to become a trainee driver first.

thanks for your help

Nathan Henry

:lol:

387star

On Moderation
what sites are best to check for these positions ?

depends where you live location is critical

bookmark all tocs/focs near to where you live and research their depots to ensure they are near to where you live!

Govia thameslink and crossrail are the biggest recruiters atm... crossrail is set to advertise reading soon

scotrail is also heavily recruiting

other than that it has been a great year for trainee recruitment lots of tocs advertising although the freight side is at a stand still.

You can pay to take the assessments at doncaster if you so wish and they are valid for three years with most TOCS although some TOCS demand a higher standard than others on the tests as well as having a few additional tests. However as long as you pass to the national standards after six months you can retake the bits you need a higher score on.

If you fail to the national level twice game is over.

So if I were you do your research. I spent five years preparing for the assessments alone and passed first time.

bear in mind virgin trains, crosscountry, c2c, east midlands trains are examples of TOCS who afaik NEVER recruit trainees

however c2c and east midlands recruit depot drivers so starting as a depot driver is one way in if not a guard or even RPO position will help and they pay well

loads of jobs go internal

Last edited:

nathan199226

depends where you live location is critical

bookmark all tocs/focs near to where you live and research their depots to ensure they are near to where you live!

Govia thameslink and crossrail are the biggest recruiters atm... crossrail is set to advertise reading soon

scotrail is also heavily recruiting

other than that it has been a great year for trainee recruitment lots of tocs advertising although the freight side is at a stand still.

You can pay to take the assessments at doncaster if you so wish and they are valid for three years with most TOCS although some TOCS demand a higher standard than others on the tests as well as having a few additional tests. However as long as you pass to the national standards after six months you can retake the bits you need a higher score on.

If you fail to the national level twice game is over.

So if I were you do your research. I spent five years preparing for the assessments alone and passed first time.

bear in mind virgin trains, crosscountry, c2c, east midlands trains are examples of TOCS who afaik NEVER recruit trainees

however c2c and east midlands recruit depot drivers so starting as a depot driver is one way in if not a guard or even RPO position will help and they pay well

loads of jobs go internal

Thanks for replying i live Ilkley,which is in-between leedsand bradford...

what TOCS would you recommend? ( sorry for the stupid question)

Also if you pay to do the assessment in doncaster does that make you a qualified driver ? or does it give you more chance of becoming a driver?

387star

On Moderation
Thanks for replying i live Ilkley,which is in-between leedsand bradford...

what TOCS would you recommend? ( sorry for the stupid question)

Also if you pay to do the assessment in doncaster does that make you a qualified driver ? or does it give you more chance of becoming a driver?

No of course not the assessments are nothing to do with learning to become a driver they just check you can deal with that! if that makes sense

the assessments are the hardest part to get through as long as you don't mess up the all important managers interview so having them under your belt means you can really concentrate on the managers as when you apply if you pass the sift which is a great feat itself you will then go straight to DM interview stage

northern rail and first transpennine express probably your best bets but northern have a strict 45 minute commute policy.... northern will likely be the ones though.. a big depot in Leeds

haven't a clue where the other depots are

most trainee vacancies are in London

Last edited:

Leebob34

Not to be rude or horrible in anyway ,but rather than put your questions on here and expecting everyone else to do all the leg work for you ,go out and do it yourself. Everyone on here has had to put the effort in themselves including me ,it really isn't that difficult to type in Google train driver jobs or whatever.come on mate ,next your be asking people to sit on your lap whilst haveing the managers interview

Greenyeti

hi

thanks for your help

Nathan Henry

This may sound harsh but....how about using your initiative and searching on here and online in general rather than posting the same questions on multiple unrelated threads? There is plenty of information out there regarding train driving, TOCs etc. It's a long and involved process for many so start as you mean to go on and put some effort in rather than derailing other topics.

Eta...Leebob34, you beat me to it!

Last edited:

nathan199226

This may sound harsh but....how about using your initiative and searching on here and online in general rather than posting the same questions on multiple unrelated threads? There is plenty of information out there regarding train driving, TOCs etc. It's a long and involved process for many so start as you mean to go on and put some effort in rather than derailing other topics.

Eta...Leebob34, you beat me to it!

Apologies for asking.

Why not be supportive rather than make people look stupid ?

Would I ask if I knew the answers and where to get them?

paepo

I agree with the above. If a person won't do any research themselves and expect everything to be spoon fed then I doubt very much if they have the attitude required to sit and learn the rules at night in their own time when a trainee.
This forum is a fantastic tool to research the role and is full of helpful people who can offer great advice but you have to help yourself by doing at least a little leg work yourself otherwise everyone would hijack a thread and post their location and ask others to find them a job!

Johncleesefan

I do get tired of same same questions but the guy is using initiative by signing into the forum and asking questions. You do need to have a look through some of the threads in this section.as many of your questions will be answered, asking questions like this will gain you answers and responses like above

nathan199226

I do get tired of same same questions but the guy is using initiative by signing into the forum and asking questions. You do need to have a look through some of the threads in this section.as many of your questions will be answered, asking questions like this will gain you answers and responses like above

Thanks John.

I won't bother seeking advice again.

Thought the idea of a forum was exactly this ....

Greenyeti

Thanks John.

I don't want to come across as a keyboard warrior but a forum is for people to post up and discuss topics related to the subject. Your question had nothing to do with the interview advice asked for by the original poster, you are effectively spamming his thread.

Before posting questions one would normally do a search to see if your question has already been asked, which it has numerous times and there is plenty of information out there for you to find easily.

So instead of stroppy responses, have a look on here at the masses of relevant information and then if you still have a specific question, I'm sure there are many that would help you.

Mjt1867

Did the feedback specifically state you had weak answers and was nervous ?

Have you reapplied or have another interview lined up or are you seeking feedback from the community ?
Hi ComUtoR,

Thanks for reply and yes, they said I had a couple of weak answers and nerves getting to me. It was my first interview for over 20 years and I must admit I did feel nervous. I feel I will be better prepared next time and more confident about it.

I still have just over 5 months before I can reapply, so have to be patient and think about better examples.

Cheers

Berries

Thanks John.

Nathan, I think what happened here, was just a rookie mistake. We were all new at this once.

You were trying to start a thread, but instead took over from Mjt1867's specific question about the Structured Interview, which is a very tough part of the trainee train driver recruitment process. Mjt1867 was asking for advice about something, and you interjected (probably unaware) by asking general questions, many of which can be answered by http://www.traindriver.org/ or just by reading (or doing a search) of the threads on this forum.

Think of it like interrupting, and you were chided for it. Don't take it to heart. This is how we all learn.

Don't give up on anything you want to do. Anything worth it's salt requires a great deal of hard graft. Everyone here on this forum either wants this, or has tried and either passed or failed. It is very hard going, to attain a dream. Once, it was your dream to fly, no? It can also be a very cruel journey of self-discovery. Two chances is all you get at this.

This is a community of like-minded people supporting one another through what is a very tough process. Like any community, there are rules of engagement. Good manners so to speak. What happens a lot, is that people see the pay grade, jump in temporarily to get a bunch of questions answered, then they disappear again for good. It's usually the same questions time and again, and usually from people who have no intention of staying, supporting, or going the distance. There's no way of telling them apart from the genuine article...at the very beginning that is.

Stay and learn, and encourage others. That would be the genuine article. A very kind chap on here gave me some good advice a couple of days ago, which helped my confidence in taking the tests yesterday. I would have found it difficult to have maintained my calm, if I hadn't have come away with this advice. My results however, will be a reflection of my actual abilities. Sometimes this is a very cold, hard fact to swallow...as I am soon to find out.

So are you staying or going?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mjt1867, I was wondering if you gave a specific example of how in your experience, there was a specific scenario that played out, where the H&S procedure was/n't followed, and what the outcome was. They may want a specific example. Say when procedure wasn't followed, x happened, y happened, and z was fired as a result.

Mjt1867

Hi Berries,

Think my original answer was probably too general and applied to all members of the office without a specific outcome.

Whereas, the supermarket example may be better as my actions on health and safety rules can have a positive/ negative effect on myself, other members of staff and customers.

Trouble is this was over twenty years ago and not sure if that would be acceptable?

Leebob34

Why don't you ask about taking over the fire alarm practise tests that most places have on a weekly basis.im not sure if it would be good enough but if you could maybe take the lead role and in organising it and following it through so every one is out and safe the. Surely this would be a good tick in the box as its a safety critical role,I read somewhere that if you haven't got the right answers or experience then you need to go out and get it ,and as you work in an office this would be a good shout, HR might be a bit funny about it but hey,give it a shot .

Berries

Hi Berries,

Think my original answer was probably too general and applied to all members of the office without a specific outcome.

Whereas, the supermarket example may be better as my actions on health and safety rules can have a positive/ negative effect on myself, other members of staff and customers.

Trouble is this was over twenty years ago and not sure if that would be acceptable?

I suppose it very much depends on how they pose the question, but I would prepare a few examples, and try to pick the most appropriate to the question. If they ask for a recent example, you will need to be prepared.

However, they may ask for examples from any aspect of your life (so even non-work related, you may have a more applicable story). Only later after an interview, did I think of a waaaaay more appropriate response. Something that happened to me outside of work hours...a story (had I told it) would have left a very lasting impression, something that unequivocally shows an ability to deal with VERY trying circumstances without missing a beat.

For H&S, I'd mention the procedure, my duty, and an incident where it wasn't followed (hopefully not an example involving you), the result and consequences, and what lessons were learned. If you have worked with an incident report log, were you were allowed to review previous accidents or near misses? Did the company do RIDDOR reports?

Otherwise, anything in your leisure pursuits?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why don't you ask about taking over the fire alarm practise tests that most places have on a weekly basis.im not sure if it would be good enough but if you could maybe take the lead role and in organising it and following it through so every one is out and safe the. Surely this would be a good tick in the box as its a safety critical role,I read somewhere that if you haven't got the right answers or experience then you need to go out and get it ,and as you work in an office this would be a good shout, HR might be a bit funny about it but hey,give it a shot .

Great idea!

Shows you are proactive, which ticks another box.

455driver

Veteran Member
Apologies for asking.

Why not be supportive rather than make people look stupid ?

Would I ask if I knew the answers and where to get them?

One of the requirements to being a train driver is to be able to use your initiative.

Think about that for a moment!

Mjt1867

Thanks guys.

Given me plenty to think about. Will take on board your suggestions and come up with an appropriate course of action to take.

Economist

I would also consider your hobbies, plenty of which can have lots of rules and procedures or be safety critical.

One of my hobbies involves flying, I used it in my MMI and I don't think I would have made it through if I didn't.

I would say that most outdoor pursuits, possibly martial arts and of course anything which involves potentially dangerous machinery should help to provide you with examples. Just read the question to make sure it doesn't specify a work situation before you answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.