• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview for Level crossing keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

why ever not?

So while I believe in interview prep, knowing the actual questions you're going to be asked allows a level of preparation that means the wrong person could get the job more easily just by interviewing well.

scott118

So while I believe in interview prep, knowing the actual questions you're going to be asked allows a level of preparation that means the wrong person could get the job more easily just by interviewing well.

so it has nothing to with, appearance, approach, aptitude, ability, ( or any other A's you can think of..:lol:) ?

wouldn't answering all the questions, word perfect, make the interviewers, smell a 'rat'? Diverging from formatted prepared questions will eliminate this, I'd of thought, or would it make them consider, that this individual, has prepared better than most?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

TomBoyd

so it has nothing to with, appearance, approach, aptitude, ability, ( or any other A's you can think of..:lol:) ?

wouldn't answering all the questions, word perfect, make the interviewers, smell a 'rat'? Diverging from formatted prepared questions will eliminate this, I'd of thought, or would it make them consider, that this individual, has prepared better than most?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

For a start, three of your A's are addressed by the questions asked (and thus assessed by the answers given) and why should appearance matter anyway?

It's a scored interview, which is scored by an HR representative that isn't in the interview.

scott118

For a start, three of your A's are addressed by the questions asked (and thus assessed by the answers given) and why should appearance matter anyway?

It's a scored interview, which is scored by an HR representative that isn't in the interview.

:lol: sounds a tad complicated an assessment/interview, of whether a person can safely open a gate or not..

Steve.

It was the standard questions that were asked and I was glad I was prepared or else I would have been umming and errring on some of the questions. Still waiting to hear if I was successful or not. Hope I am because after having a box visit I was sure I would enjoy the role and I had a good Idea what the job would entail.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There were a few questions thrown in that I wasn't expecting but I thought of some relevant examples from my current job and used them to answer the questions.

DylanUK

I hear they are looking for specific "buzz words" what are these exactly?

BRblue

I hear they are looking for specific "buzz words" what are these exactly?

Are they? I have had four interviews now 2 successful 1 not and still awaiting outcome of the fourth, and I can honestly say I have never used any specific so called buzz words.

DylanUK

Are they? I have had four interviews now 2 successful 1 not and still awaiting outcome of the fourth, and I can honestly say I have never used any specific so called buzz words.

It's just what I have read on these forums, don't know it to be gospel. Obviously you've been successful without using any so thank you for clearing that up for me BRblue.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Bit like Signallers only push buttons and drivers only pull levers:roll:

A crossings keepers job is not hard by any stretch of the imagination....but its still a safety critical job, you still have to follow rules and regulations, you still have to comply with instructions, you still have to to perform functions during degraded working and emergencies, you still have to cope with a certain amount of pressure, ....this is why candidates have interviews and assessments :roll:

Last edited:

mac

I suggest you go on-line and read the Rule Book in respect of Level Crossings!

They are still Signallers and have to go to Signalling School, although parts of the syllabus does not apply to them.
They are NOT just "gate openers" as you so rudely describe them. <D

I thought most crossing keepers are Grade 1 so don't go to signalling school, they just spend a few hours training on the crossing for 10 days until someone can get round to passing them out.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Last I heard they were still going to Signalling School but not the whole course. That way they get proper unified training.
And there are Grade 2 and (I think) some Grade 3 crossing keepers on some of the panels.

mac

Don't think so, until few months ago there used to be a box on the east coast main line that worked it's own road crossing told the keeper at another one when he could open his and worked signals manned by grade 1 no signal school needed.

GB

Established Member
Don't know about these days but when I done the job in the early to late 2000's, signalling school wasn't a requirement. Also, the crossings I worked controlled their own signals rather than just operating a slot.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
If they are controlling their own signals then they are not Crossing Keepers, but signallers and they will go through the whole Signalling School course.
On my Course there were 3 of us going to Grade 2 Boxes which were "block posts" and controlling level crossings. We were employed as SIGNALLERS.

mac

You went on the course because you are Grade 2 but you can be a grade 1 signaller as well as a grade 1 crossing keeper and will not go on the course, some grade 1s can be busier than higher grades.

Tomnick

Established Member
Plenty of crossing keepers - grade 1 - control their own (non-block) signals, and won't have been to signalling school. I understand (open to correction) that higher grade crossing keepers, the likes of Helpston, do need full signalling training.

A grade 2 block post is a different kettle of fish!

BRblue

Plenty of crossing keepers - grade 1 - control their own (non-block) signals, and won't have been to signalling school. I understand (open to correction) that higher grade crossing keepers, the likes of Helpston, do need full signalling training.

A grade 2 block post is a different kettle of fish!

I'm currently a grade 2 crossing keeper and control my own signals... non block, and did not attend signal school.
I do though work alongside 2 signallers.

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm currently a grade 2 crossing keeper and control my own signals... non block, and did not attend signal school.
I do though work alongside 2 signallers.
Thanks, I wasn't sure about that part! I'm sure that the higher grade crossing keepers on the ECML (who just have slots on the protecting signals) have all been to signalling school, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I can only go on what has been said in our area, so perhaps it is a regional thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.