• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview for Level crossing keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve.

Hi all.
Next week I have an interview with network rail for the role of a level crossing keeper. I have been a postman for the last 15 years and have no experience of working in the Rail industry.

Can anyone help me and give me an idea of what I will be asked and what to research and learn so I have a fighting chance to succeed at the interview. I have to say I'm fretting over it abit and don't want to blow it:(

I have done some research already and have heard that the "8 non-technical skills" are very important to know and use in interview?

If anyone can help out I would be so grateful:p

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhassell

I would say, (And for any job on the railway) Mention safety and you would insure a safe running of any crossing etc.

Steve.

Thank you for the advice I will definatly say that.

Steve.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any one else got any advice. Just would like to have an idea what the interview structure and questions will be? Or if any one can send me some links to some helpful post i would much appreciate it!

Thank you.

BRblue

Hi Steve,

You need to research the 8 non technical skills which are if memory serves, something like...

Conscientiousness,
Decision making,
Communication,
Working with others/conflict resolution,
Multi tasking,
Working under pressure and in degraded situations,
Keeping your concentration,
development and ability to learn.

They will ask you to describe a situation where you have used one of the 8 NTS's this does not have to be work related. Make sure you have examples ready, as they do not like ums and ers and they will be listening carefully how clearly and decisively you reply.

Hope this helps... good luck.

rf_ioliver

I would say, (And for any job on the railway) Mention safety and you would insure a safe running of any crossing etc.

Ensure, not insure....though I guess Network Rail would appreciate a contribution to insurance costs

:)

Otherwise basic interview etiquette: dress smartly, be honest, arrive a little early and be polite to everyone you meet (especially receptionists!)

t.

Ian

Steve.

Thank you soo much both of you! Much more confident now! 8 Non technical skills printed off, and now will think of some good examples when I have applied them in day to day life. And I'll be getting out the mothballed suit lol!

Thanks again for the top advice!
Steve
:) :) :)

TomBoyd

Hi Steve,

You need to research the 8 non technical skills which are if memory serves, something like...

Conscientiousness,
Decision making,
Communication,
Working with others/conflict resolution,
Multi tasking,
Working under pressure and in degraded situations,
Keeping your concentration,
development and ability to learn.

They will ask you to describe a situation where you have used one of the 8 NTS's this does not have to be work related. Make sure you have examples ready, as they do not like ums and ers and they will be listening carefully how clearly and decisively you reply.

Hope this helps... good luck.

This is literally the entire interview.

If you want to give yourself an edge, arrange a box visit, or just turn up and chance your arm that the guy on duty is cool.

GB

Established Member
This is literally the entire interview.

If you want to give yourself an edge, arrange a box visit, or just turn up and chance your arm that the guy on duty is cool.

I think that's the wrong choice of words as letting unauthorized persons into operational railway areas or not is nothing to do with that person being "cool".

TomBoyd

I think that's the wrong choice of words as letting unauthorized persons into operational railway areas or not is nothing to do with that person being "cool".

It's totally at the discretion of the person on duty, and depends on the walking route. The Keeper has the authority to make that decision.

BRblue

It's totally at the discretion of the person on duty, and depends on the walking route. The Keeper has the authority to make that decision.

If it is just a crossing box then maybe.... but some crossing keepers work alongside signallers in bigger and busier boxes and a visit may well not be appreciated, especially if not organised first via the LOM.

TomBoyd

Do they? it's my understanding that crossings operated out of signal boxes are operated by the signallers themselves. I could well be wrong in my understanding of this, my knowledge is incomplete.

If that is true, and it's not a single manned crossing, then authorization would certainly be needed in advance.

Steve.

Thanks everyone for your time and input. I was planning to go and have a look at the crossing as it's important to see my potential workplace, but I won't bother the crossing keeper. The Crossing is at Littlehaven in Horsham.

Thanks again to everyone who's posted help!

Steve.

TomBoyd

Then contact the LOM. A box visit that I organised with the LOM was what set me above the other candidates. Those were the words of the LOM when he gave me the job. It shows interest and initiative.

Also, if I know most signallers/keepers, they really don't mind the intrusion. It's a fairly solitary job in the small boxes, and anything that ticks the time away is welcome.

BRblue

Do they? it's my understanding that crossings operated out of signal boxes are operated by the signallers themselves. I could well be wrong in my understanding of this, my knowledge is incomplete.

If that is true, and it's not a single manned crossing, then authorization would certainly be needed in advance.

Tomboyd I can confirm that crossing keepers do work alongside signallers in some boxes as I work alongside 2 in mine.

Steve as Littlehaven is a small gatebox you should not have too many problems getting to visit it, speak to the LOM and ask if he can help with that.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Steve.

Thanks TomBoyd and BRblue! I will contact the LOM and see if I can get a box visit. It would be a very valuable insight for me and help my chances no end!

Much appreciate the advice!

TomBoyd

Tomboyd I can confirm that crossing keepers do work alongside signallers in some boxes as I work alongside 2 in mine.

Steve as Littlehaven is a small gatebox you should not have too many problems getting to visit it, speak to the LOM and ask if he can help with that.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

You learn something new every day!

pdbaggett

Just turn up at the box knock on the door explain you have an interview and want to get to know the box most people will be ok if they are not nothing lost, just bring some biscuits with you. That said due to the nature of my box I never had the chance ti visit but it is certainly a good idea. You can also download the rule books that pertain to crossing keepers and have a flick through it shows willingness to learn don't go to deep Into it as it will probs baffle you but some general information would be good I think it's rule book ts9 freely available on the Internet just search on Google.

Steve.

Thank you! I will look for the ts9 rulebook and print it off and read it. Knowledge is power!

Thanks for your help!

alphamale

If you're managing a level crossing which is next to a station, do you allow vehicles and pedestrians to cross while a train is standing at the platform or should the gate remain shut the entire time that train is in close proximity to the level crossing?

TomBoyd

If you're managing a level crossing which is next to a station, do you allow vehicles and pedestrians to cross while a train is standing at the platform or should the gate remain shut the entire time that train is in close proximity to the level crossing?

Depends. There's no way they'll ask you that sort of stuff at interview.

Steve.

Hello all.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I went for a box visit after getting permission from the LOM who was also one of my interviewers. The interview went well (I think). All the advice enabled me to prepare and give it my best shot. Just got to wait and see now with fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.