• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intruders getting stabbed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seacook

I have heard that if somebody is on your top floor then you may kill them outright, though I stress that I am not sure of this.

I really don't believe this is likely. What if you live in a flat or a bungalow? Could you kill someone who was in your attic but not if the intruder was in your bedroom? Would this apply if you were in a hotel room? How far down the stairs would the killing zone extend? [These are all rhetorical questions.]

I can't see any legislation differentiating based on the storey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
It's all a much of a muchness really. If someone chooses to break and enter into someone's house with the intention of stealing their possessions they should have completed a risk assessment that states 'They might kill me'. If you come into my house, with a knife, and threaten me, it's entirely likely that I will attempt to stick it in you before you stick it in me if I deem it appropriate, and hey, there's a reasonable chance you'll be dead afterwards.

Do they really have the right to expect they might not be killed for it?

I don't have any particular regard for the lives or wellbeing of criminals and if their own stupidity takes a few off them out of the equation then all the better.

I really don't believe this is likely. What if you live in a flat or a bungalow? Could you kill someone who was in your attic but not if the intruder was in your bedroom? Would this apply if you were in a hotel room? How far down the stairs would the killing zone extend? [These are all rhetorical questions.]

I can't see any legislation differentiating based on the storey.

You're right not to believe it, because of course there is no law. But there is a grain of truth in what the poster was getting at. The courts have always allowed an even looser definition of reasonable force when an intruder was upstairs. The reasoning being is it would be entirely understandable for the homeowner to believe that the reason for the intruder's presence is likely to be more than just theft, or that the theft is likely to involve violence, if the intruder was upstairs. The reasoning being, of course, that should an intruder come upstairs he is expecting to confront the homeowner, rather than sneaking around downstairs.

Kneedown

Established Member
I once soaked a theif after i caught him mid attempt trying to nick my Landrover. I simply drenched him with the hose pipe. Someone on here accused me of being a "little excessive" for doing so.

Yes but it WAS petrol you soaked him with......followed by a lighted match! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that!

My own opinion is that if someone enters your house unlawfully, then they leave their human rights at the door and the householder should be immune from any prosecution.
It is not always possible for a trained law enforcement officer to accurately gauge the threat in the split second you have to act, let alone an untrained civvy, and no one can say with any accuracy how they would react if suddenly confronted with that situation. Even the most mild mannered person may lash out with, or indeed without a weapon, and potentially kill the intruder.
The Law should always be on the side of the householder irrespective of the outcome for the intruder as they didn't choose to be put in that situation in the first place.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Yes but it WAS petrol you soaked him with......followed by a lighted match! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that!

My own opinion is that if someone enters your house unlawfully, then they leave their human rights at the door and the householder should be immune from any prosecution.
It is not always possible for a trained law enforcement officer to accurately gauge the threat in the split second you have to act, let alone an untrained civvy, and no one can say with any accuracy how they would react if suddenly confronted with that situation. Even the most mild mannered person may lash out with, or indeed without a weapon, and potentially kill the intruder.
The Law should always be on the side of the householder irrespective of the outcome for the intruder as they didn't choose to be put in that situation in the first place.
The law is designed to prevent people from taking the law into their own hands, or becoming vigilantes. It's also there to protect innocents as well.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think people misunderstand the difference between killing someone just because they're stealing your things, and acting swiftly in self defence because you're in genuine fear for your own life.

I like to think I would tackle an intruder if the other option was potentially getting killed myself!

Kneedown

Established Member
Off the top of my head, someone's drunk and they enter the wrong house. There's other ones too, which I can't recall right now (terrible memory).

So you're off your head after a night on the sauce, wonder why the key won't fit in the lock, then think "I know, i'll climb over the side gate that i don't have at my house, trip over the garden gnome that i don't remember buying from Wyvale Garden Centre, and open the back window with the screwdriver i just happen to have in my pocket.......... Easy mistake to make i suppose! :roll: :roll: :roll:

strange6

Established Member
So you're off your head after a night on the sauce, wonder why the key won't fit in the lock, then think "I know, i'll climb over the side gate that i don't have at my house, trip over the garden gnome that i don't remember buying from Wyvale Garden Centre, and open the back window with the screwdriver i just happen to have in my pocket.......... Easy mistake to make i suppose! :roll: :roll: :roll:

LOL The do-gooders will come up with any old fanny to justify their silly justifications.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
LOL The do-gooders will come up with any old fanny to justify their silly justifications.

And unfortunately the right wingers are sometimes unable to put forward a coherent argument without resorting to insults and belittlements.

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Bungle73

On Moderation
Happens all the time: http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=ps...gc.r_pw.&fp=3f31fbf49cc94e2d&biw=1260&bih=759

Is that aimed at me or what?

Fact is situations have occurred where someone has been in someone else's house and they haven't been a burglar. FACT!

Kneedown

Established Member
Fact is situations have occurred where someone has been in someone else's house and they haven't been a burglar. FACT!

And by the time you've pondered and considered that fact you may well be lying on your kitchen floor with a knife in your chest while the intruder is on his way upstairs looking for your wife and kids, may God forbid!

strange6

Established Member
And unfortunately the right wingers are sometimes unable to put forward a coherent argument without resorting to insults and belittlements.

---

Who's argueing? That's my opinion! Like it or lump it; i don't care. No matter what I say you'll always find some reason for argueing the toss. :)

GB

Established Member
You can't go around plunging a knife into someone on the basis of "what ifs".

strange6

Established Member
So, you come home, find an intruder sitting watching your TV.
Would you attack them because they 'deserve the consequences' for being in your house?

It's not about what i would do but if they got attacked then they would only have themselves to blame. Makes perfect sense to me.
You might not like my opinions but there they are. Like it or not.

Established Member
It's not about what i would do but if they got attacked then they would only have themselves to blame. Makes perfect sense to me.

In which case, it would be an unprovoked attack, so you would be facing a charge of either assault or, depending how far you went with it, murder.

Kneedown

Established Member

---

Speaking as an unashamed right winger, i've certainly never resorted to insults, and on occasions where my point has been misinterpreted have always apologised and attempted to clarify matters.

strange6

Established Member
In which case, it would be an unprovoked attack, so you would be facing a charge of either assault, attempted murder, or depending how far you went with it, murder.

No skin off my nose. Like I said, I'm not speaking as to what I would do. What I am saying is that if you do find yourself in such a situation then don't be surprised if you get attacked.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Speaking as an unashamed right winger, i've certainly never resorted to insults, and on occasions where my point has been misinterpreted have always apologised and attempted to clarify matters.

Just laugh it off, Kneedown. Certain people on this forum will argue about anything. They have a reputation for it but I suppose that's what makes these forums so good.

Established Member
What I am saying is that if you do find yourself in such a situation then don't be surprised if you get attacked.

If they're not threatening you, you have no justification to attack them, it's that simple. You can't just attack people on a 'what if'.
It's all very well saying 'they were on my property', but it's still an unprovoked attack, so you will be the one facing prosecution, and rightly so.

strange6

Established Member
If they're not threatening you, you have no justification to attack them, it's that simple. You can't just attack people on a 'what if'.
It's all very well saying 'they were on my property', but it's still an unprovoked attack, so you will be the one facing prosecution, and rightly so.

Have I ever argued against what you say? As you well know, in today's society you can very well find yourself in somebodies house who is a crime kingpin. Like I say, don't be surprised if you find yourself with a knife in the gut, justified or not. But if you're stupid enough to be in that situation, in my opinion, you deserve what you get.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a right-winger myself I found the comment a bit inappropriate.

lol You don't agree with it in other words. fair enough.

Last edited:

Kneedown

Established Member

There is a difference between being "On someones property" and "In someones property, loading hard earned goodies into a bag"
Sadly, these days the detection rates for burglaries are very low. When i was in the Police a lot of the time we were told to screen out burglaries as undetected on the same day with little investigation, if there were no immediate leads. Even if a burglar was caught and convicted the sentences were, and still are, pitiful.
The law has failed the householder and the honest person in general.

GB

Established Member
But thats what home insurance is for isnt it?

I really don't see the point in putting yourself in harms way just to save some possessions that in all likeness can be replaced. Defending yourself or your family from death or injury then fair enough, but you won't be helping your family by having a 9" blade in your chest becuase you were trying to stop someone making off with your TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.