• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irish passport eligibilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
But we've had freedom of movement taken from us as well!

UK citizens have unrestricted rights to live and work in Ireland, and vice versa, in legislation that was passed by both countries many years before they joined the EU, so you can't have that one taken off you. You can apply for citizenship after living in Ireland for five years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Given that Scottish nationality does not exist at the moment, I would guess that any British citizen living in Scotland at the time of independence could apply for Scottish nationality.

I think they'd have to adopt similar rules to the Irish, for children of people born in Scotland. Getting an Irish passport is pretty easy for a lot of British people, because again, Irish citizenship didn't exist until the 1920s, so it had to be disentangled from British citizenship.

My grandfather was born in Dublin in 1908, and moved to London as a child. As a result, I don't think he was ever an Irish citizen as such, but I was able to qualify for Irish citizenship through him.

mmh

Established Member
I think they'd have to adopt similar rules to the Irish, for children of people born in Scotland. Getting an Irish passport is pretty easy for a lot of British people, because again, Irish citizenship didn't exist until the 1920s, so it had to be disentangled from British citizenship.

My grandfather was born in Dublin in 1908, and moved to London as a child. As a result, I don't think he was ever an Irish citizen as such, but I was able to qualify for Irish citizenship through him.

These were the rules proposed for Scottish citizenship prior to the independence referendum

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 13.56.35.png

Howardh

Established Member
These were the rules proposed for Scottish citizenship prior to the independence referendum

View attachment 56770
Not sure what qualifies as "habitually resident" - but thanks for the link!
I propose an Independent Kingdom of Proper Lancashire and anyone who habitually owns a whippet qualifies for our Passclog.

Less seriously, how have we got ourselves into this situation where people are queuing up, it seems, to get another passport when once our own was, arguabley, the most sought-after and revered passport in the world (after the Lancashire passclog naturally)?

Journeyman

Established Member
Less seriously, how have we got ourselves into this situation where people are queuing up, it seems, to get another passport when once our own was, arguabley, the most sought-after and revered passport in the world (after the Lancashire passclog naturally)?

It's insane, isn't it? Every single person I know with links to another EU nation is doing what they can to get another passport, and anyone I know without those links is extremely pissed off about it.

I for one don't intend to ever use my UK passport for travel again - I'm too bloody embarrassed by it.

Howardh

Established Member
It's insane, isn't it? Every single person I know with links to another EU nation is doing what they can to get another passport, and anyone I know without those links is extremely pissed off about it.

I for one don't intend to ever use my UK passport for travel again - I'm too bloody embarrassed by it.
Totally insane.

Totally.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes indeed. You can get Irish citizenship as long as at least one parent or one grandparent is an Irish citizen. You can apply as soon as he has applied and been granted Irish citizenship. You must wait until he has been granted it before applying for yourself. So yes will indeed be eligible for it once he claims it for himself.
You don't have to wait for your parent to apply for the Irish passport before you can apply for your own if the circumstances outlined by the OP apply (I'm assuming the OP's grandparent was born in Ireland but they and their parent(s) were not). You just need to apply to be added to the Foreign Births Register (see here) and pay the fee of EUR278 (~£250).

Elwyn

Its must great to be able to claim eligibility for an Irish passport and keep your European citizenship. I am not eligible and therefore I am having my European citizenship stolen from me. :(

There’s no such thing as European Citizenship. All members countries remain sovereign nations, and the only thing in common is that the passports have a common format (ie superficially they all look much the same, but when you open them up, each has a specific nationality) . Freedom of movement allows the individual people to move from one country to another with almost no restrictions but no-one has European citizenship. It doesn’t exist.

EU countries can still deport each others citizens, usually for criminal reasons, and in that case you generally get sent back to the country you hold a passport for. Not just to Europe!

furnessvale

Established Member
Meanwhile Scotland will decide to unilaterally secede from the UK once the impact post exit is felt by it’s populace.
Surely the EU would maintain its stance on such unilateral declarations of independence and as in Spain, it would support the UK in sending in riot police to brutally put down the rebellion. If not, why not?

A useful side effect would be the jailing of Sturgeon! :)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You can't un-british yourself. If you were born here (or one of your parents were british) you can always have a UK passport. Signing some document outside the UK will have zero effect on that.

You can. Many countries don’t allow dual nationality and you will be required to renounce British citizenship. Note how if you renounce the citizenship it will affect your ability to live in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Surely the EU would maintain its stance on such unilateral declarations of independence and as in Spain, it would support the UK in sending in riot police to brutally put down the rebellion. If not, why not?

Gosh, the lengths some people will go to try and paint the EU in a bad light...

The Catalan situation was very different to Scotland: In Catalonia, the regional Government held an illegal referendum that produced a very low turnout, and then unilaterally declared independence - again, against Spanish law, and despite overwhelming evidence that at least about half the Catalonian population wished to remain part of Spain. You could well argue that the Spanish Government wasn't being entirely reasonable, and that in some cases the police they sent in also went too far in use of force. But nevertheless, if the Spanish Government was to uphold Spanish law, sending in the police was arguably the correct thing to do. For someone who keeps trying to make out that the EU unnecessarily interferes in member country's affairs, I find it surprising that you'd complain when the EU, quite correctly, treats Catalonia as an internal matter for the Spanish Government! One might almost think you're deliberately trying to paint the EU in a bad light, no matter what it does.

It seems pretty implausible that anything similar would happen in Scotland, since the UK Government did allow the Scottish Independence referendum, and made it clear a vote for Independence would have resulted in Scottish Independence.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
No, not if you're already married. I acquired citizenship and passport recently, but can't pass it on to my wife and kids. If I were to re-marry and have more kids, I could pass it on to them.
That all sounds a bit Irish, which isn't intentionally rude. I thought it'd be the case, though. Thanks for confirming.

Journeyman

Established Member
That all sounds a bit Irish, which isn't intentionally rude. I thought it'd be the case, though. Thanks for confirming.

I suppose it's there to stop abuse, but it's a shame. When I got married and had my kids, I had no idea I was entitled to Irish citizenship, and never thought there'd be a time I'd want or need it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I suppose it's there to stop abuse, but it's a shame. When I got married and had my kids, I had no idea I was entitled to Irish citizenship, and never thought there'd be a time I'd want or need it.
It's a sad reflection on the current state of the nation. Neither my wife nor I have ever visited Ireland, and have no plans to, so it would just be a case of taking advantage of the rules. Ireland are well aware, I'm sure, that most applicants for these passports have no intention of going to live there. They must be making a few euros out of it all, which I don't begrudge them. I'm sure, were the boot on the other foot, the UK would charge a darned sight more for such passports.

Journeyman

Established Member
It's a sad reflection on the current state of the nation. Neither my wife nor I have ever visited Ireland, and have no plans to, so it would just be a case of taking advantage of the rules. Ireland are well aware, I'm sure, that most applicants for these passports have no intention of going to live there. They must be making a few euros out of it all, which I don't begrudge them. I'm sure, were the boot on the other foot, the UK would charge a darned sight more for such passports.

You're absolutely right. If I'm honest, I've spent a grand total of about three hours in Ireland and I have no connections to the country at all. I only ever met my (philandering waster) grandfather once as well. But such is the mess we're in that I jumped at the chance. With having to apply for citizenship first, the whole thing cost me about 350 euros.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You're absolutely right. If I'm honest, I've spent a grand total of about three hours in Ireland and I have no connections to the country at all. I only ever met my (philandering waster) grandfather once as well. But such is the mess we're in that I jumped at the chance. With having to apply for citizenship first, the whole thing cost me about 350 euros.
I had a philandering wastrel of a grandfather too, whom I never met, and one of the few 'facts' I know about him was that he was Scottish and had played cricket for his country, so, if Scotland ever gains independence perhaps I'll apply on that basis!

Jonny

Established Member
The standard procedure is that anyone who has lawfully lived in Eire for five years is entitled to apply for Irish nationality and thus an Irish passport. As the Common Travel Area which enables British Citizens to live in Eire and vice versa will continue to operate after Brexit, this avenue remains open to anyone who is British and wishes to be an EU national.

Here is a link to the Irish government's description pf the Common Travel Area:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...n_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

Andrew*Debbie

does having a 'foreign' passport also carry responsibilities, like tax liabilities and possibility of conscription?

I file US income tax return annually even though I permanently reside in the UK. The US also has access to all of my UK bank details.

The UK has tax treaties with many countries. For the most part you do not get taxed twice by tax treaty countries. It gets complicated if you make over about $100,000 per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.