• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is being a train driver all it's cracked up to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Established Member
I can't believe how much winging goes on! If it's not for you get out, if you don't like shifts get out, if you don't don't like it interfering with your social life get out!
I stand by what I said previously, a reality check is needed and a stint at a job that is twice as hard and far, far less paid!
It's annoying to read and listen to people go on like they are hard done to!!

Oh the irony.

Show me where it says I must like all aspects of a job at all times.

Whatever job your in there will be those in a better position as well as those less fortunate. That doesn't mean we should be told to eat crap and say how sweet it is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
My company recently restructured and we had to re apply for our Complaint Manager jobs. I didn't get one and took a pay cut to £16000. I can take redundancy (£1400 pay one off pay out) but I opted to go back to the call centre while I find something else (Hence the pay cut). We work shifts, not as extreme as a train driver works but I finished work at 20:00 on Sunday and was in at 07:30 yesterday, it wasn't fun. Yesterday I had two 15 minute breaks and my half an hour lunch, I spent lunch and one break doing work I couldn't do while I was on the phone to try and improve my stats (Because you are the lowest of the low). I didn't speak to anyone all day that wasn't a member of service personnel I was trying to help as is my job. I did nothing last night because I was knackered, I am on a rest day today and am doing nothing tonight because I am in again tomorrow. I can't go out because we get breathalised to (To sit behind a desk). I can go to the toilet whenever but get monitored on it and can get disciplined! Booking holidays is a nightmare.

They seem like similar jobs except our shifts aren't as extreme and we get paid £16000. If anyone doesn't like their job try and get out and get something better as I am trying to do.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I stand by what I said previously, a reality check is needed and a stint at a job that is twice as hard and far, far less paid!

I think its you that needs a reality check. The reality is that every job, no matter how good or bad it is has people who don't like it and people who do. Some will moan, some will grin and bear it.

It is just as vitriolic that people with an attitude like yours speak to others as you do. They have every right to moan about their jobs.

It's annoying to read and listen to people go on like they are hard done to!!

Where have people stated they are hard done to ? There is a reality of what happens on a day to day basis and a reality of problems that we all encounter on a regular basis. Saying its all green and flowing with milk and honey is a lie and just as biassed and skewed. No one should impose their view on others. Their view is what has been asked for.

Considering the variety of employees in the crew room how many do you actually believe have been in this 'real world' you seem to despise so much.

As I say, I've worked for a little over minimum wage and that job was better than being a Driver. I've done regular 72 hour weeks, 7 day weeks, scrubbed floors etc.

I wouldn't change my job and I actively encourage my friends and family to do it. NONE of them want to do it. My neighbours a builder and he loves his job, he also wouldn't join the railway. He is stunned what I do and I certainly don't disrespect what he does or what he gets paid.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They seem like similar jobs except our shifts aren't as extreme and we get paid £16000. If anyone doesn't like their job try and get out and get something better as I am trying to do.

When I was in one job I really hated I walked out. It was a big risk at the time but I think it took that risk to push me into applying for Train Driver.

As for pay. I remember once being given a £56 per year pay rise. That was one insult too far and I ended up leaving that job too.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Bodiddly

In my depot you tend to find the majority of the moaners are career railway persons who have never experienced working outwith the rail industry. That said the amount of moaning is usually negilgable as most railway persons realise how good their salary and benefits are compared to the big bad world.

Evolution

An interesting read.. from an "outsider" in the real world.

I think some of you get carried away with the money train drivers earn, in reality it isn't big money I don't consider £45-£50k per year great money. When you take tax off and your pension you will be left with £2500 per month. Then factor in bills, mortgage, family outgoings and you're left with a mediocre living at best.

You get plenty of time off but who wants to get up in the middle of the night?

I'm a business development manager for a large pharmaceutical company and I earn 70-100k a year and have a new BMW 5 Series company car and fuel card, laptop, phone. I work generally Mon-Fri 10-5pm most days, and I'm home based so only go out when I have appointments to attend which some days may only be 1 or 2. I never answer to a boss and do and go where I want in between appointments so I have lots of freedom.

I considered and applied for a driving role just for a change but realised the job I'm currently in is far better in every respect so declined the role I was offered.

As I say I don't consider the driving role to be "big money" as a lot seem to think when you break it down you will live an "average" lifestyle and nothing else, unless of course your partner is a big earner too. I base this opinion on my own situation I'm on good money but does it give me everything I could wish for ? short answer no.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
If I may, my best ever job ever was in a small office on Hope Street in Liverpool. I could get to work in 30 mins and it was Monday to Friday. I had an hour for lunch and I could walk in to town, do some shopping, go for a pint. The job itself was mostly arranging appointments for insurance claims, I didn't even have to speak to the public normally, just the fellas on the road getting the paperwork filled in. It was only about £15500 a year but I would have happily done it the rest of my life. No stress at all and I had a laugh with the 9 or 10 people in the office. It was my dream job. I get why train driving may not be all it is cracked up to be despite the money. Shifts are stressful enough and when you add in the responsibility that is a lot of pressure. These men and women earn their money when you think about it.

I would never have chosen to leave that job unless I found something amazing. Sadly the office got closed and moved to Bolton. I now work shifts for £16000 and as much as I would like to be a train driver I am not sure I could mentally put up with the shift work.

Last edited:

Johnmeric

Wow thanks for all the replies! Very insightful

Just to focus the conversation:

-Do you feel much job satisfaction?

-On a daily basis what are your general thoughts towards the job (Example board, happy, sad, annoyed)

Need2

an interesting read.. From an "outsider" in the real world.

I think some of you get carried away with the money train drivers earn, in reality it isn't big money i don't consider £45-£50k per year great money. When you take tax off and your pension you will be left with £2500 per month.

I'm a business development manager for a large pharmaceutical company and i earn 70-100k a year and have a new bmw 5 series company car and fuel card, laptop, phone. I work generally mon-fri 10-5pm most days, and i'm home based so only go out when i have appointments to attend which some days may only be 1 or 2. I never answer to a boss and do and go where i want in between appointments so i have lots of freedom.

as i say i don't consider the driving role to be "big money" as a lot seem to think when you break it down you will live an "average" lifestyle and nothing else, unless of course your partner is a big earner too. I base this opinion on my own situation i'm on good money but does it give me everything i could wish for ? Short answer no.

Unbelievable!
And back in the real world...................:D

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
-Do you feel much job satisfaction?

Yes, and I'm proud to be a Train Driver. When everything is running smooth you do feel that little sense of pride that your unit pulls in on time and this time of the year your pretty satisfied that you get there without slipping through.

Mintona

Established Member
It's not 'big money'. It's not bad money certainly but it's not huge either. I've been feeling a lot lately that I'd like to earn more and live more comfortably, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I do enjoy the job mostly. I like being out on a glorious summer's day as well as being safe and secure on a cold winter's night (as long as the heating and air con work!). I like seeing fields, and cows, and cities, and aeroplanes, and people. I like most of my colleagues and I find them pleasant people to work with.

But on the other hand, I'm currently on night shift 4 of 5, and I'm pretty wrecked. Feel like I could fall asleep at any moment, I find it difficult to sleep during the day, and appointments etc still have to be done. Will wake up Thursday afternoon after my last one and have 24 hours off, then be back in Friday afternoon for 2 late turns, before being back on the 3am alarms next Monday. It's hard putting your body through the changes, and I find it gets harder the older I get. Personally I prefer the early starts and wouldn't mind doing them permanently but the chance to do that isn't really there.

I'd like to be able to go to the football on a Saturday, play 5-a-side during the week, have lazy family Sundays in etc. But I'll never get that chance whilst train driving. And because of the way the world is, I can't afford to leave and start again. So I guess I'll stick with it for now. Only 40 odd years to go :lol:

seve73

Really?!!! You have to be joking?

It's a great job and I've had more breaks then ever.

cin88

My company recently restructured and we had to re apply for our Complaint Manager jobs. I didn't get one and took a pay cut to £16000. I can take redundancy (£1400 pay one off pay out) but I opted to go back to the call centre while I find something else (Hence the pay cut). We work shifts, not as extreme as a train driver works but I finished work at 20:00 on Sunday and was in at 07:30 yesterday, it wasn't fun. Yesterday I had two 15 minute breaks and my half an hour lunch, I spent lunch and one break doing work I couldn't do while I was on the phone to try and improve my stats (Because you are the lowest of the low). I didn't speak to anyone all day that wasn't a member of service personnel I was trying to help as is my job. I did nothing last night because I was knackered, I am on a rest day today and am doing nothing tonight because I am in again tomorrow. I can't go out because we get breathalised to (To sit behind a desk). I can go to the toilet whenever but get monitored on it and can get disciplined! Booking holidays is a nightmare.

Would your company be Bill Large Incline (actual name not used for not wanting tea without biscuits reasons) by any chance? If so then same boat but I actually got a "promotion" :lol:

On an on topic note, I actually can't wait for the day when I finally become a train driver. Booking on and off outside of rush hour (usually), plenty of overtime and my own space to just shut up and get on with the job in? Yes please.

beavercreek

45k-50k a year is not a good salary?
Last time I looked the average UK salary was around 27k and remember especially up North people work full time for 13k still.
If you work 5 days a week then that's already 52 days a year more than most drivers.

Mintona

Established Member
Last time I looked the average UK salary was around 27k and remember especially up North people work full time for 13k still.
If you work 5 days a week then that's already 52 days a year more than most drivers.

Nobody at all said it isn't a good salary.

Bromley boy

Established Member

It's a good salary but very much depends on area. Where I live a 1 bed flat is around £300k to buy, £1200 per month to rent. In south east/London area you will not be living like a king on £50k by any means.

The train driver role enables someone new to the industry to go from 0-£40k+ within less than a year which is unusual. It is also one of the few jobs paying £50k in areas of the country where property is much cheaper.

Pugland53

I think its a great job. Previously, I spent 15 years in engineering and hated it. Luckily i got taken on as a driver straight off the road. I spent a few years driving units on intensive suburban work. Towards the end they had crammed more work into the diagrams with shorter breaks, it became very tiring with an hours commute as well. Luckily i managed to transfer to inter city work driving HST's and love it. I spend nearly half my shift at 125mph travelling through the countryside, have good breaks, better terms and conditions and good money, as well as lots of time off. My wife earns the same money as me but she works a hell of a lot harder plus much longer hours too.
Dont forget you can swap turns too, I rarely work afternoons and almost never work nights.

W230

Established Member
Great job. Far better than my last one. I turn up drive me train and go home. end of.

There is a lot of moaning but i've recently come to the conclusion that the Aussies have got us right - we really are whinging poms! Well a lot of us anyway... It seems to be the same in every job i've worked. :lol:

fowler9

Established Member
Would your company be Bill Large Incline (actual name not used for not wanting tea without biscuits reasons) by any chance? If so then same boat but I actually got a "promotion" :lol:

On an on topic note, I actually can't wait for the day when I finally become a train driver. Booking on and off outside of rush hour (usually), plenty of overtime and my own space to just shut up and get on with the job in? Yes please.

No, I work for a different company, I could tell you who but then I'd have to kill you. Ha ha. :D
Great job. Far better than my last one. I turn up drive me train and go home. end of.

There is a lot of moaning but i've recently come to the conclusion that the Aussies have got us right - we really are whinging poms! Well a lot of us anyway... It seems to be the same in every job i've worked. :lol:

Yeah the Aussies have got us right but it takes one to know one. Have you been there? Bunch of whining gits. Ha ha. :D Honestly, they don't stop.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
It's a good salary but very much depends on area. Where I live a 1 bed flat is around £300k to buy, £1200 per month to rent. In south east/London area you will not be living like a king on £50k by any means.

The train driver role enables someone new to the industry to go from 0-£40k+ within less than a year which is unusual. It is also one of the few jobs paying £50k in areas of the country where property is much cheaper.

I imagine london based drivers commute much longer distances to work than non london based toc drivers for this very reason although transport is often much better around London too

fowler9

Established Member

Don't live in London then. I take it there are people in the area who work the tills in Waitrose. I will presume they earn less than train drivers. I am sure you can get by just about. :)

Last edited:

S-M

The basic production lads up north in Sunderland, utterly smash themselves out every day in the Nissan plant for around 25k, and i can guarantee that the job is more physically demanding then MOST jobs out there.

Its not a bad wage up this way, so something double that will always be appealing.

Make no mistake though, it is VERY hard work, you have a 25min lunch and a 20 min break, thats it, you need to be back at your station BEFORE the dot as the plant does not stop for anything, you CANT go to the toilet unless a team leader has arranged cover for you (i have seen people **** themselves, and ****ing in bins as they were unable to go to the toilet for a while), you turn up, and abuse yourself every 60 or secs to finish your process before you get to do it all again. You cant have a lazy day, basically, every single day is a flat out sweaty mess.

Most of your holidays are taken when the company tells you to, its a brutal life and no wonder a lot of people refer to it as the local Japanese army.

Seen many people break down, unable to handle it, broken bodys and minds. Most people lose a few stone in weight and usually end up bald LOL

I managed 1.5 years in it and have done 7.5 years with a Nissan supplier doing pretty much the same thing :/ i would quite like to have a sit down now and get paid for it :D

Last edited:

Budgie

Well it could be a lot worse, you could be in some war torn country dodging bullets for a living, being paid a pittance in comparison and longing to see your family again in six months or so, and that's if you're lucky enough to survive the daily armed conflicts.

I can't wait to become a train driver (just waiting for a start date) as I know I'm going to be reletively safe, warm, well paid and going home to my family at the end of the shift. It's a worthwhile job, where you're providing a valuable public service and making a positive difference to people's lives. Beats having to kill people for a living or worse still, being killed.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Don't live in London then. I take it there are people in the area who work the tills in Waitrose. I will presume they earn less than train drivers. I am sure you can get by just about. :)

But it's grim oop north :)

On a serious note, not always easy/possible for people to relocate due to family and personal reasons.

It's interesting how the lifestyle afforded by a given salary must vary so widely around the country. I suspect the train driver job (and other railway jobs) is also unusual in paying about the same whether you live in Newcastle, Bristol, Penzance or London.

Hull D

Waitrose??????????
Only a driver would say that lol. What's up with Asda or Aldi??

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Waitrose??????????

Tesco or Sainsbury then -I really do not know how people manage and living in Greater London on £7.50 or so an hour. Shared accomodation and some sort of tax credits etc. (or in many cases , doing several jobs)

fowler9

Established Member

On a serious note, not always easy/possible for people to relocate due to family and personal reasons.

It's interesting how the lifestyle afforded by a given salary must vary so widely around the country. I suspect the train driver job (and other railway jobs) is also unusual in paying about the same whether you live in Newcastle, Bristol, Penzance or London.

Yeah that is true mate. It is a well paid job but must vary.
Waitrose??????????

I'm not a f*cking driver and I live in Liverpool. I am currently in Warsaw though. Ha ha.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Yeah that is true mate. It is a well paid job but must vary.

I'm not a f*cking driver and I live in Liverpool. I am currently in Warsaw though. Ha ha.

Polish beers on tap then :D

Quickthorn

I moved from the east midlands to the south west for my job. If I was still in the east midlands renting a similar property, it would be like having a £10,000 gross pay rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.