• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it appropriate to change web pages into greyscale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Can anyone spot the problem here? ;)

View attachment 94210

(Image shows a colour-coded map of ticket validity on Northern's website, made useless by the fact that a greyscale filter has been applied to the entire website)
I suppose someone could say "Well you can still download the 'full size' image", in order to get around the grayscale, but that adds an unnecessary complication to a user's experience. A poor way of going about it really.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Reminds me of the classic snooker commentator gaffe "For those of you watching in black and white, it's just behind the blue".
Talking of which, is there any truth that when snooker was first televised in the 1970s ("Pot Black" on BBC2?) the colour/shade of the brown ball had to be subtly changed so that it could still be distinguished by those viewers watching the game on B&W television sets?

najaB

Veteran Member
Reminds me of the classic snooker commentator gaffe "For those of you watching in black and white, it's just behind the blue".
It's not necessarily a gaffe. Depending what other balls were in frame it might have been possible to determine which ball was the blue based on the shade.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
This seems to have taken off a little on Twitter this morning, with NRE tweeting in reply to a customer that they can buy their tickets from the ToC website if the greyscale over the NRE website causes them issues. Not exactly a great attitude to have, and NRE have since deleted the tweet (although not before people screenshotted it). And of course telling people to go elsewhere kind of falls down when most of the ToC sites are also all grey.

They have now since reverted the site back to normal so likely realised that it wasn't exactly a good look!

As a web developer myself, I can't say I am surprised. I've heard / seen quite a few stupid ideas that no amount of arguing or pushing back could stop. It really isn't a good look for a company / organisation though. Especially as accessibility is starting to be seen as much more important than what it maybe used to be seen as.

brad465

Established Member
This seems to have taken off a little on Twitter this morning, with NRE tweeting in reply to a customer that they can buy their tickets from the ToC website if the greyscale over the NRE website causes them issues. Not exactly a great attitude to have, and NRE have since deleted the tweet (although not before people screenshotted it). And of course telling people to go elsewhere kind of falls down when most of the ToC sites are also all grey.

They have now since reverted the site back to normal so likely realised that it wasn't exactly a good look!

As a web developer myself, I can't say I am surprised. I've heard / seen quite a few stupid ideas that no amount of arguing or pushing back could stop. It really isn't a good look for a company / organisation though. Especially as accessibility is starting to be seen as much more important than what it maybe used to be seen as.
They must of done so in the last 1-2 hours as when I looked at Live Departures ahead of a journey this morning it was still in greyscale, but isn't now as you say.

superalbs

Established Member
Guardian reports:
Users complained they could no longer use the National Rail website and others. Photograph: NRE/PA

A leading sight charity has stressed the need for inclusive web design after rail websites switched to black and white to mark Prince Philip’s death, leaving partially sighted people struggling.

Network Rail and National Rail websites turned from colour to greyscale on Monday morning in a tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh. The gesture backfired after customers highlighted accessibility issues and complained they could no longer use the website.
Other train operators, including CrossCountry and Northern rail, had also removed colour from their websites.

One Twitter user said: “National Rail have coloured their entire website grey to ‘mourn Prince Philip’, rendering the whole website completely useless to people with visual impairments. The UK has completely lost the plot.”
Robin Spinks, the innovation lead for the Royal National Institute of Blind People, said: “As someone who is registered severely sight impaired, good colour contrast on a website is incredibly important. A lack of this makes it difficult for me to read the content and causes headaches and eye strain. It leaves me feeling unwelcome as a customer.
“Although I can understand why an organisation might make a change to its website in circumstances such as this, any change should be inclusive and accessible so that all customers can continue to use the site as normal.

”Adherence to inclusive design standards should remain the most important aspect for all digital design, regardless of any changes made.”
Mikey Stillwell, a designer at the research, design and user experience agency Verj, who is colour-blind, said familiarity rather than accessibility was the issue.

He said: “In terms of [an] accessibility standpoint, I can’t really see too much of an issue because there’s loads of contrast on the website. But from a UX [user experience] there is. When you have grey call to actions, for example, they’re normally seen as disabled or inactive. There is a total loss of hierarchy for what is important on a website as well if everything’s the same colour.”
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...d-with-complaints-over-prince-philip-coverage
Buckingham Palace announced that Prince Philip died on Friday morning aged 99. Many institutions across Britain marked their own tributes in respect. BBC broadcasters changed their ties to black, while there were also scheduling changes made to radio and television programming across the network for special coverage of the Prince’s death.

A spokesperson for National Rail said: “The National Rail Enquiries website has been temporarily greyscaled as a mark of respect following the death of HRH Duke of Edinburgh on Friday. We are listening to feedback about how people are using the website and are making further changes today to make it more accessible to all our customers.”

A Network Rail spokesperson said: “We temporarily made our website greyscale as a mark of respect following the death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. We’ve been made aware this has caused problems for people accessing the content so it’s now back to its usual look. We’re sorry it’s caused issues and we thank everyone for their feedback.”

brad465

Established Member
I wonder if the relaxation of lockdown restrictions today is what helped bring this incident to greater media and social media attention: there will have been less passengers when the greyscale was introduced on Friday compared to today, reducing the chance of someone/some groups discovering this to the point of publicising it widely.

Worm

OK for some reason if I switch over to Firefox it shows up in black. How unbelievably depressing.
View attachment 94101

However, it's easy to see how they're doing it. This may not make complete sense to people unfamiliar with CSS, but what they've done is apply property filter: grayscale(100%) to the entire of the webpage, as you can see here:
View attachment 94102

For those unfamiliar, @Starmill is correct - this is literally just applying a grey-scale filter to the entire page. And it looks god-awful.

I also note they've added "Prince Philip" to the section meant for travel advice... the world really is going a bit insane.
Are you a Linux user? The header bar on your browser is very familiar

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I do find it amusing that people will complain about the National Rail Enquiries website for going greyscale - have they not noticed its general crumminess anyway !

bearhugger

I do find it amusing that people will complain about the National Rail Enquiries website for going greyscale - have they not noticed its general crumminess anyway !
Indeed, i was thinking earlier this week when trying to use it just to check some train times that the site could do with being totally redone from scratch up to current standards. It's akin to a ruined abbey - just keeps crumbling away. It's pretty much got to the point where I'm starting to use TOC specific sites to check current timings now.

roversfan2001

Established Member
This is a good point, the app works quite well but the website is almost unusable. It needs completely redesigning and they could probably do with toning the adverts down a touch too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This is a good point, the app works quite well but the website is almost unusable. It needs completely redesigning and they could probably do with toning the adverts down a touch too.

Yes, fewer pop-up adverts (It's getting like something from the noughties), get rid of the "multiple tickets required" pop up, which comes up for every journey, make it so that it doesn't get stuck on some search filter you asked for three journeys ago etc......

Status
Not open for further replies.