• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it appropriate to change web pages into greyscale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Looks like ‘our’ logo has been converted. But it has somewhat broken the logo on mobile!
Yes, I was going to point that out. Seems like my browser has cached the coloured version though so only threads I opened for the first time since the change are showing that version.

I must say, the IET's warning panel looks awful when it's not yellow :D. Overall though I'd say it's in good taste and a reasonable response, especially compared to what the likes of the BBC are doing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

35B

Established Member
In short: no.

AFAIAA, only public sector bodies have a legal requirement to have accessible websites - so TOCs wouldn't be in violation of the law if their site wasn't accessible. But even if they were a public-sector body, changing the colour scheme on a temporary basis wouldn't run them foul of the law since all the other accessibility features (e.g. site maps, image captions, caret browsing) would still work. A website that claims to be accessible by virtue of its colour scheme is not accessible!
I believe the Equalities Act puts obligations on private websites too.

najaB

Veteran Member
I believe the Equalities Act puts obligations on private websites too.
It gets complicated. Public bodies have to have accessible websites that comply with a set of rules (BS8878 I think), but private bodies only need to make "reasonable accommodations".

CarrotPie

Yes, I was going to point that out. Seems like my browser has cached the coloured version though so only threads I opened for the first time since the change are showing that version.

I must say, the IET's warning panel looks awful when it's not yellow :D. Overall though I'd say it's in good taste and a reasonable response, especially compared to what the likes of the BBC are doing.
At least they haven't done the whole forum list in greyscale! Now that would be OTT.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it would be interesting if the forum logo greyscale thing was a choice... how many would switch it back to colour (I would)? There is of course the no-logo "worksafe" option, and the bus option is still in colour!

Peter C

Established Member
It's a bit silly really.
I get where you're coming from. In comparison to some other sites (and even TV channels), it's not bad, but I must admit that I'm struggling to see a link between these forums and the Duke of Edinburgh.

-Peter

BRX

Established Member
I get where you're coming from. In comparison to some other sites (and even TV channels), it's not bad, but I must admit that I'm struggling to see a link between these forums and the Duke of Edinburgh.

-Peter
Perhaps these forums are a hotbed of traditionalist monarchists - who knows!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, it's a fair point that HRH The Duke of Edinburgh did embody the era of slam door trains.

And since slam door trains are preferable to modern tat, it is an important end of an era.

[.n]

It gets complicated. Public bodies have to have accessible websites that comply with a set of rules (BS8878 I think), but private bodies only need to make "reasonable accommodations".
The full name of the accessibility regulations is the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.

All public sector bodies have to meet the 2018 requirements, unless they are exempt.

Public sector bodies include:

• central government and local government organisations
  • some charities and other non-government organisations
quotes taken from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/accessi...websites-and-apps#understanding-accessibility

Ediswan

Established Member
There is official guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publi.../guidance-for-the-period-of-national-mourning

7. Websites and Social Media​

Online communication channels may also choose to reflect the death of The Duke of Edinburgh and participate in the period of national mourning. Organisations, such as those of which His Royal Highness was patron, could modify the homepage of their site to feature a visual indication of mourning, for example the use of black edging or black banners.

nedchester

Established Member
All this 'going grey' is just virtue signalling. Pointless cap doffing and forelock tugging.

Just a case of following the sheep........

Same with unrelated organisations passing on their condolences as if they really care.

High Dyke

Established Member
Apart from selected areas of the page, I'm still seeing black text on white background, coloured icons etc. Personally I don't mind what the surround is, providing I can obtain the information I require.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210410-200643.png
    Screenshot_20210410-200643.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 27

Starmill

Veteran Member
Apart from selected areas of the page, I'm still seeing black text on white background, coloured icons etc. Personally I don't mind what the surround is, providing I can obtain the information I require.
That's a great deal easier to read than what mine had been showing yesterday.

how long will the forum remain in mourning mode?
I don't know but it has been suggested in the media that the period of 'national mourning' would be until the end of the day of the Duke's funeral.

nedchester

Established Member
April 17th would match the official 8 day period, linked above.
Obviously the Queen will pass a message back to the moderators of Railforums to say thanks for the grayscale.........or perhaps not!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Obviously the Queen will pass a message back to the moderators of Railforums to say thanks for the grayscale.........or perhaps not!

The Forum Staff are, as always, Her Majesty's most loyal subjects in all matters ;)

py_megapixel

Established Member
Can anyone spot the problem here? ;)

1618153102415.png

(Image shows a colour-coded map of ticket validity on Northern's website, made useless by the fact that a greyscale filter has been applied to the entire website)

Attachments

• 1618153022656.png
    1618153022656.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
One of many reasons that greyscaling an entire site without putting thought into usability is a terrible idea.

Must say, of all of the TOC site colour changes to mark the news, I quite like the GWR homepage colour scheme with the darker greens, think it looks quite smart!

Peter C

Established Member
Must say, of all of the TOC site colour changes to mark the news, I quite like the GWR homepage colour scheme with the darker greens, think it looks quite smart!
I actually really like that new GWR colour scheme. Can they make it permanent? :D
That makes three of us that prefer the GWR one. It's not over-the-top and still gets a message across.

-Peter

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Can anyone spot the problem here? ;)

View attachment 94210

(Image shows a colour-coded map of ticket validity on Northern's website, made useless by the fact that a greyscale filter has been applied to the entire website)
Reminds me of the classic snooker commentator gaffe "For those of you watching in black and white, it's just behind the blue".

Status
Not open for further replies.