• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it possible? (Greater Anglia IC on a Travelcard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southwest

....to use an all zones Travelcard to get to Stratford on the Liverpool Street to Norwich Abelio express trains?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
If the train is advertised as set-down only at Stratford (London-bound) or pick-up only at Stratford (northbound) then you cannot make that journey using a zonal travelcard. I believe these services are advertised as such.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
No, for the NSEFAN said.

However last time I was at Stratford the "set down only" trains were properly announced as Liverpool Street trains, not "do not board", so you might have some joy that way round...

suzanneparis

But how bizarre.

What kind of super bureaucrat decided that certain trains only allow passengers to get on or get off but not both?

The notion of being a service for the good of all has clearly gone out of the window.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
But how bizarre.

What kind of super bureaucrat decided that certain trains only allow passengers to get on or get off but not both?

The notion of being a service for the good of all has clearly gone out of the window.

I'm afraid I disagree. I think it makes a lot of sense in this case.

The primary market these trains are intended to serve are long-distance passengers, from Colchester and beyond mostly, so the last thing they want is for short-distance commuters between Liverpool Street and Stratford, who have lots of alternative services, to crowd these trains out. On the inward journey it's not so much an issue as long-distance pax from further afield would have already been on board, but on the outward journey from London this can cause problems especially during peak travel hours.

RJ

Established Member
But how bizarre.

It is the railway's way of dealing with selective inadequacy. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the Stratford to Liverpool Street example as between the Underground and National Rail services, there are probably around 30 trains per hour providing that service.

Be3G

Established Member
And, in an appreciated display of coordination, with interchangeable ticketing too.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
But how bizarre.

It's something that's happened since BR days. Quite possibly at this location specifically- I'm unsure of the history. Happens at a few places with very frequent London services that are useful interchanges for long distance passengers

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It often happens at stations near to London where 'inter-city' type trains stop.

For example:
Watford Junction
Stevenage (although they've mainly been removed over the last few years)
Milton Keynes Central
Clapham Junction

The thinking behind it is quite sensible.

TheEdge

Established Member
I had a theory about this and it looks like I was correct. It would be utterly pointless using the IC service rather than a metro service.

The unadvertised IC service leaving at xx:30 is booked to arrive Stratford and xx:37, the metro service also leaving at xx:30 is booked to arrive xx:36. So the metro is quicker. You can see it on the trains, the metro services shoot out of the Street up towards Bethnal Green compared to the IC sets.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I suspect there's some recovery time built into the timetable for long distance services between Stratford and Liverpool Street.

Also, if these long distance trains allowed pick up at Stratford on the way up to London then they would have to wait for the official departure time before they could leave, if they were running early. With them being set down only there is no need to wait for the booked time if they are early.

AM9

Veteran Member
It's something that's happened since BR days. Quite possibly at this location specifically- I'm unsure of the history. Happens at a few places with very frequent London services that are useful interchanges for long distance passengers

The Norwich trains have not been stopping at Stratford for very long. In BR days, their normal first stop was Chelmsford or Colchester. As others have stated, there are many trains to and from London terminals that have set down or pick up only rules. They used to be shown in timetables with a lower case 'd' or 'u'.
With the advent of privatisation sometimes the fast trains are operated by different TOCs from the locals, e.g. Watford (VT and LM), Luton (EMT and Thameslink) so the tickets can be different as one TOC only. FGW still has the problem with fast trains that stop at Reading, - see this long thread:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106062

So it really is the least worst solution to demand being greater than current capacity.

Established Member
I suspect there's some recovery time built into the timetable for long distance services between Stratford and Liverpool Street.

Also, if these long distance trains allowed pick up at Stratford on the way up to London then they would have to wait for the official departure time before they could leave, if they were running early. With them being set down only there is no need to wait for the booked time if they are early.

All trains on the up main line have 2 minutes recovery time approaching Bow Jn, all trains on the up electric line have 1 minute approaching Bow Jn.

You occasionally get the odd enthusiast that likes to ride between Liverpool St and Stratford with a 90 but for Joe Public it is always best to go for any of the other trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.