• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the phrase "whiter than white" racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
i happened to catch part of Maajid Nawaz's LBC show on Saturday afternoon (as the father in law has LBC on in the background) and he was discussing the case of a senior Met police officer who used the phrase "whiter than white" in a briefing about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, and he was reported for using racist language.

Maajid Nawaz was vehemently of the opinion that the context of the phrase negates any racist intent, my point of view is the same in that it is ridiculous to suggest the comment has any racist undertones. He also said that officers are discouraged from using the phrase "good egg" apparently due to the rhyming slang of egg and spoon which is also ridiculous because of the context.

Also, how far do we go? Maajid used the examples of whether Darth Vader was racist for turning to the dark side, black lists etc... so where do we draw the line?

Seems like the word "racist" is becoming a default position when some people are offended rather than it's intended use

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Up_Tilt_390

Of course it isn't racist just simply based on the context of whiter than white meaning "morally beyond reproach". Even with LBC arguably having some kind of right-wing bias (though I don't know enough about it to really confirm that as such), this is just a total non-story that shouldn't have a partisan position. The only reason I can see this being a story is morally outraged left-wingers who want to try and stir up racial tensions so they can continue to push their agenda, and even then I've no idea where this would be going for them. All I am totally certain on in that this is a total non-story and shouldn't be in the news at all.

Bromley boy

Established Member
i happened to catch part of Maajid Nawaz's LBC show on Saturday afternoon (as the father in law has LBC on in the background) and he was discussing the case of a senior Met police officer who used the phrase "whiter than white" in a briefing about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, and he was reported for using racist language.

Maajid Nawaz was vehemently of the opinion that the context of the phrase negates any racist intent, my point of view is the same in that it is ridiculous to suggest the comment has any racist undertones. He also said that officers are discouraged from using the phrase "good egg" apparently due to the rhyming slang of egg and spoon which is also ridiculous because of the context.

Also, how far do we go? Maajid used the examples of whether Darth Vader was racist for turning to the dark side, black lists etc... so where do we draw the line?

Seems like the word "racist" is becoming a default position when some people are offended rather than it's intended use

I completely agree with your last sentence.

Context is everything and it should be immediately clear to any reasonable person that there was no racial undertone to the comments in question.

PC gone mad. I find it truly frightening how things are going in this country.

Geezertronic

Established Member
For those of you saying close thread, it is only right to have this discussion when ridiculous things like this are forced upon us all. I hope you say it in jest as the subject is indeed ridiculous.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, not racist, as it very clearly refers to white washing (it comes from an ad for one of the well known powders) and not to people with pinky beigey coloured skin.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Forty odd years ago a Labour politician in Lewisham, where I lived, gained a lot of attention for attacking the use of the term 'accident blackspot'. His campaign achieved the necessary result i.e. he got the publicity and he worked his way up to a position of some authority nationwide. His name was Herman Ouseley, by the way.

The problem with this sort of nonsense is not just the idiots who take offence at such phrases as this, which has been in use since the days of William Shakespeare but also the even bigger idiots in authority who take such complaints seriously. Sadly theses days the police seem more interested in political correctness than they are in fighting crime.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
This phrase's history has absolutely nothing whatsoever do do with skin colour (and thereby, race).
It is a reference to an old advertising campaign for a brand of washing powder. This powder contained a small amount of blue/UV dye in it, making white garments appear "whiter than white" in daylight, and that phrase was the slogan. The UV component of daylight causes the UV dye to add extra reflection over and above what would normally visible, thus giving the garment the appearance of being whiter than white.

The phrase is still used in this context. Example:

51ozG-T4K2L._SR500,500_.jpg

Bromley boy

Established Member
Wasn’t there a similar case recently where a politician used the phrase “nitty gritty” and this was seized on by a load of ignorant do gooders who (wrongly) believed the expression is related to the slave trade (it isn’t).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Wasn’t there a similar case recently where a politician used the phrase “nitty gritty” and this was seized on by a load of ignorant do gooders who (wrongly) believed the expression is related to the slave trade (it isn’t).

It doesn’t really matter where a word comes from anyway, only the context matters. The word n*gger is acceptable in some contexts.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
when I was a kid and we said something wasn't fair my Dad used to reply "nor's a black man's a*se but he ain't complaining" I recently said it to my niece without thinking in public and was taken to task by someone for being racist.... why? my statement was factually correct...wasn't it?

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
when I was a kid and we said something wasn't fair my Dad used to reply "nor's a black man's a*se but he ain't complaining" I recently said it to my niece without thinking in public and was taken to task by someone for being racist.... why? my statement was factually correct...wasn't it?
You're in the wrong on this one mate.

najaB

Veteran Member
please explain how you think I'm in the wrong
It's the 'But he isn't complaining' part. Why should I, a black man, complain about my arse not being white - the implication is that there's something wrong/inferior about it.

Bromley boy

Established Member
please explain how you think I'm in the wrong

It's a play on the meaning of the word "fair" by definition a black person can't be fair-skinned...

Some black people can be very light skinned.

Again it’s about context but I can see how that might be seen as offensive/inappropriate, especially if used by members of other races. Why are black people being singled out?

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
It's the 'But he isn't complaining' part. Why should I, a black man, complain about my arse not being white - the implication is that there's something wrong/inferior about it.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Additionally, it's just needlessly offensive to make reference to skin colour in such a brash way in this day and age. Whether you like or agree with this or not, it's not culturally acceptable nowdays and you should not act surprised when told as such.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
It's the 'But he isn't complaining' part - why should I, a black man, complain about my arse not being white - that implies that there's something wrong/inferior about it.
but on the other hand you're not complaining about it not being white because you know it isn't inferior to a white one?

Incidently it was a white person that took offence!

Bromley boy

Established Member

You’ve put it better than I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.