• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jet2 to launch new base at Liverpool Airport in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfollows

Established Member
There was also the radical difference between Jet2 and Ryanair over the Covid period with refunds, with the former only appearing to be constrained by the number of staff to handle the workload whereas the latter went out of their way to try and avoid giving any money back. But we were comparing Jet2 and EasyJet really, weren't we, and I think EasyJet were OK with the refund process after a slow start, but I don't have any real knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
But we were comparing Jet2 and EasyJet really, weren't we, and I think EasyJet were OK with the refund process after a slow start, but I don't have any real knowledge.
EasyJet refunded me without quibble within a month or so, but they did actually cancel the relevant flights. Ryanair seemed to get more difficult when they still ran a flight but people would have had quarantine at one or both ends.

route101

Established Member
Might be easier to set up at Southampton than Gatwick, if going to serve Med holiday destinations, but probably need to wait until the current runway expansion is completed.

However even when extension done, would probably wouldn't be able to get a fully loaded plane as far as Canary Islands, or Turkey.
I think the issue with Southampton is runway length.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Jet2 is offering only beach destinations from Liverpool.
In fact I don't think even Ryanair and easyJet have got back to serving some major cities from MAN/LPL since Covid.
And there is less choice of reasonable flight times, and fares have risen steeply.
I'm not interested in flights before 1000 or returning after 1900, because I can't get to/from Manchester/Liverpool airports by train outside those hours.
I did do a pre-dawn Manchester-Kittila (Lapland) flight on a Jet2 charter earlier this year which was fine, and Manchester T2 is a decent start, unlike the zoo of T1/T3.
But airport hotels and car parks are very expensive these days.

Although I live under a well-used flight path up through east Wales into Speke, which is only 20 miles by crow, it's nearly twice that by road via Runcorn and nearly as far as Ringway - all North Wales residents have the same problem of getting across the Dee/Mersey, despite the apparent short distance.
Liverpool is a more compact airport than Manchester, but it is an awkward transfer from Liverpool South Parkway and can't handle multiple arrivals well.

The other regular visitor overhead here, often doing a loop before landing, is the daily Airbus Beluga.
Its collects A3xx wings from Broughton and delivers them to to Bremen/Hamburg/Toulouse for final assembly.
Good to see Wales's/UK's major export doing well.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
But London has 3 of the 4 busiest airports in the UK.
What airport is 3rd busiest?
Jet2 is one of the few companies whose staff I’ve never seen looking miserable.
My dad once agreed to do overtime sometime around Christmas one year and they really needed an aircraft out. Not only did he get overtime, but a £50 amazon voucher, a special badge and a thank you card from the big boss.

They certainly know how to look after their staff.

westv

Established Member
I reckon you mean London City Airport. And this is not even in the City of London, it's in the Borough of Newham.

Heathrow is of course in Middlesex not London. ;)
Greater London. Middlesex hasnt existed for decades. :D:p

Howardh

Established Member
Greater London. Middlesex hasnt existed for decades. :D:p
THAT'S gonna start an argument!!!

Don't think Manchester airport's in Manchester (certainly not the city) but it's good that Jet2 will be based nearby in Liverpool. The airport there badly needs some kind of rail/light rail link and wonder if anything's in the pipeline?

vlad

Don't think Manchester airport's in Manchester (certainly not the city)....
The terminals and runway 1 are within the city limits - but Manchester must have some of the most bizarre administrative boundaries of any local authority!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The area around Manchester Airport (and Wythenshawe, Baguley, Northenden etc) was transferred from Cheshire to the City of Manchester in 1931 for overspill development, before the airport was built in 1935.
The "border" was later extended by a parcel of land beyond the River Bollin so that all the original runway and airport facilities were in Manchester.
However, the second runway further east and south is actually crossed by the border and most of it is in Cheshire.
Of course, Greater Manchester (but not the City of Manchester) took Altrincham and Stockport from Cheshire in 1974, with the Bollin generally being the present border rather than the Mersey.

frodshamfella

Established Member
In what way crazy? Ryanair, Europe's largest and probably most financially successful airline, has been doing exactly that for years. The market clearly does exist for both Liverpool and Manchester to co-exist even within the same airline's network.
Even from Blackpool at one time too. Liverpool and Manchester serve pretty much the same catchment, Liverpool has capacity and good customer experience . No problem with flying from both.

8A Rail

Established Member
Liverpool Airport was originally located in Hooton on our Wirral peninsula.
You mean RAF Hooton, nearly 100 years ago? Liverpool Airport (Speke) first opened in 1930
The airport there badly needs some kind of rail/light rail link and wonder if anything's in the pipeline?
A simple answer is no! Make do with the bus link! :D (If you are able to find the funds for such a link, please let Liverpool City Region know about it - there has always been dreams etc but that is far as it gets).

Last edited:

Parjon

You mean RAF Hooton, nearly 100 years ago? Liverpool Airport (Speke) first opened in 1930

A simple answer is no! Make do with the bus link! :D (If you are able to find the funds for such a link, please let Liverpool City Region know about it - there has always been dreams etc but that is far as it gets).
Liverpool Airport (Hooton) opened to passengers in 1930, before Speke took over as Liverpool Airport in 1933.

Re the bus link, it could be made a lot easier for people through better information and the ability for people to buy integrated tickets at the airport.

DustyBin

Established Member
+1 Here for Jet2 being very good at what they do. I recently went on a package holiday with them, and at the price point you really couldn’t ask for more. The staff were great (and numerous!), bag-drop was painless, and the planes were spacious, certainly in budget airline terms. I was actually quite impressed. They just need to “partner” with a better artist than Jess Glynne!

Status
Not open for further replies.