• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey - Greater Anglia Trainee Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallastMonkey

Its Set Driver Reminder Appliance I believe. To remind drivers the signal is red so they don't SPAD. Correct me if I'm wrong OneLowban :P

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HeelBurton

Your user name rings a bell , I seem to remember DRA is something you set once you pull up at a station , stops you pulling off unexpectedly, or maybe you have to reset it to apply power to pull off ?
Can’t remember as it was when I thought it would be a good idea to read ahead lol

DRA you apply when you are at a signal at danger. This also applies when you are at a station and the signal at the end is at danger, or also when the last signal you passed was a single yellow and the red is beyond the station platform (i.e not on the end)

There are a few other scenarios you may need to apply it. But those are the basics.

Gooner18

DRA you apply when you are at a signal at danger. This also applies when you are at a station and the signal at the end is at danger, or also when the last signal you passed was a single yellow and the red is beyond the station platform (i.e not on the end)

There are a few other scenarios you may need to apply it. But those are the basics.

Ahh ok , does it actually stop the train from moving if you don’t set it ?

OneLowban

Do you have to make you own way to Ilford / Southend etc?
Yeah we just go there instead of the academy.

Its Set Driver Reminder Appliance I believe. To remind drivers the signal is red so they don't SPAD. Correct me if I'm wrong OneLowban :P

Yeah pretty much the above.

Yeah setting the DRA cuts traction power.

HeelBurton

Cuts traction power BUT if your train doesn’t have a holding brake and you attempt to take power with the DRA on (with brakes released) potentially you could roll....

OneLowban

OneLowban

We were with a depot course only for the induction. Complete separate roads from there.

Shunter_69

Cuts traction power BUT if your train doesn’t have a holding brake and you attempt to take power with the DRA on (with brakes released) potentially you could roll....

I remember a new driver for one TOC failing a train on prep at Liverpool Street due to a ‘defective DRA’ and it caused chaos as it was brought back to the depot during rush hour. It turned out that ‘the train started rolling and setting the DRA didn’t apply the brakes’

Oops

HeelBurton

I remember a new driver for one TOC failing a train on prep at Liverpool Street due to a ‘defective DRA’ and it caused chaos as it was brought back to the depot during rush hour. It turned out that ‘the train started rolling and setting the DRA didn’t apply the brakes’

Oops
Oh dear. Usually quite common with 3 step brake trains, less common with trains with a combined Power break controller.

OneLowban

Update!

This week we were at Southend Vic Monday - Wednesday doing more train preps and fault finding. We also did coupling, uncoupling and evacuations.

We also did things like shunts up and down the yard, whilst the train had some isolation/override flags pulled (EBS, TIS) so we saw the train able to move with doors open etc and the effects of pulling a pass comm whilst the train is moving.

Very enjoyable traction course so far with a lot of practical.

Then Thursday and Friday we had our tests, practical and written respectively, passed both! :smile: I guess I ‘sign’ Class 317s now. <D

We now have a break for Christmas and are back on the 7th January at Orient Way carriage sidings to do our Class 379 traction.

Walshy23

I’m glad it’s going well for you OneLowBan. I’m enjoying reading your progress. Reading your updates just make want to do it even more lol. Keep the updates coming! :)

HeelBurton

Wow. That’s pretty awesome that they allow you to move trains in the depot with EBS/TIS activated. Some other TOCS could add this to their training. Usually the first time you see these flags up in real life is when you are doing it on your own when passed out and some people are unsure about the whole proceedure having only read up about it but never actually done it!

Well done on passing 317’s, as there’s no TMS they can be troublesome to get the hang of, different faults simply give you BIL (bodyside illumination lights) which don’t exactly tell you what the problem is, so you’ve still got to have a fair bit of knowledge. We have the 455/456 where I work, some of the trainees find these the hardest on traction for that said reason. They are very mechanical so you need a technical brain.

Update!

This week we were at Southend Vic Monday - Wednesday doing more train preps and fault finding. We also did coupling, uncoupling and evacuations.

We also did things like shunts up and down the yard, whilst the train had some isolation/override flags pulled (EBS, TIS) so we saw the train able to move with doors open etc and the effects of pulling a pass comm whilst the train is moving.

Very enjoyable traction course so far with a lot of practical.

Then Thursday and Friday we had our tests, practical and written respectively, passed both! :smile: I guess I ‘sign’ Class 317s now. <D

We now have a break for Christmas and are back on the 7th January at Orient Way carriage sidings to do our Class 379 traction.

OneLowban

:smile:
I’m glad it’s going well for you OneLowBan. I’m enjoying reading your progress. Reading your updates just make want to do it even more lol. Keep the updates coming! :)
Thank you! What stage are you at, or are you still applying?

Well done mate, sounds like it’s all coming together nicely
Thank you! It is indeed. :smile:

Wow. That’s pretty awesome that they allow you to move trains in the depot with EBS/TIS activated. Some other TOCS could add this to their training. Usually the first time you see these flags up in real life is when you are doing it on your own when passed out and some people are unsure about the whole proceedure having only read up about it but never actually done it!

Well done on passing 317’s, as there’s no TMS they can be troublesome to get the hang of, different faults simply give you BIL (bodyside illumination lights) which don’t exactly tell you what the problem is, so you’ve still got to have a fair bit of knowledge. We have the 455/456 where I work, some of the trainees find these the hardest on traction for that said reason. They are very mechanical so you need a technical brain.

Yeah it was really interesting to see how it’s all done. Southend have quite a large sidings and it was in the middle of the day so it was almost empty. Great for training.

Thank you! Yes that is true, some faults have only that coach’s body light on and all the rest off and vice Versa.

They said we have come in at a good time as we will be getting new trains soon that are more computerised etc, but we will still be trained on the 317s and have them for a while where everything is hands on and manual levers etc so it’s good knowledge to have.

Walshy23

Thank you! What stage are you at, or are you still applying?

I’m still applying, just got rejected by GWR for a trainee pool after the two online assessments but ive learned a lot since sending off the application and joining this forum plus watching online videos and come the realisation that my app form must of been so weak so I’m not surprised and will defo try again with a stronger improved submission :)

OneLowban

I’m still applying, just got rejected by GWR for a trainee pool after the two online assessments but ive learned a lot since sending off the application and joining this forum plus watching online videos and come the realisation that my app form must of been so weak so I’m not surprised and will defo try again with a stronger improved submission :)

Ah, you may know this already but I would say have a look at your CV/cover letter/application and try and tailor it more to the role of a driver based on the job description, thoughts and experiences. Best of luck with your application!

Tony Nice

Hi all, I have been asked to make a journey thread so here it is. I haven't done anything like this before so sorry if it's not everything you would expect. :smile:

So I started last week (8th) with Greater Anglia as a trainee driver, really exciting stuff. Monday - Thursday was a corporate induction mainly and we got to see the control centre and one of the depots. Friday we were off.

This week just gone (15th) we started PTS (Personal Track Safety) learning on Monday and Tuesday and had a written assessment on Wednesday, which I passed.

We then started to look at safety systems on the railway and how they came about such as signals, AWS, TPWS and others on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday.

Then Friday we visited Southend Vic for a practical assessment on PTS and to also get a first hand look at all of the other stuff we learned in the classroom.

So far I'm loving it, looking forward to learning and doing more.

If anyone has any tips for this kind of thread feel free, or to let me know what to or what not to include. :smile: I will try to update as much as I can.

Hello OneLowban

Congratulations passing through to this stage.

I got as far as submitting an online application for a trainee shunt driver on the C2C line and received an invitation from The OPC (occupational psychology centre) to do the 2 online assessments

VSE and M7

I failed both with no feedback given. I totally underestimated them. I now have one chance left after the six months have lapsed and I want to give it the best possible chance I can.

Can you talk me through your stages and how to best deal with them. Any advice will be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks Tony

OneLowban

Hello OneLowban

Congratulations passing through to this stage.

I got as far as submitting an online application for a trainee shunt driver on the C2C line and received an invitation from The OPC (occupational psychology centre) to do the 2 online assessments

VSE and M7

I failed both with no feedback given. I totally underestimated them. I now have one chance left after the six months have lapsed and I want to give it the best possible chance I can.

Can you talk me through your stages and how to best deal with them. Any advice will be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks Tony
Hello, thank you and sorry to hear that. I will send you a PM.

Firestarter

VSE and M7

I failed both with no feedback given. I totally underestimated them. I now have one chance left after the six months have lapsed

I do believe you will find you still have 2 chances left presuming you have not sat any assessment centre test before

Tony Nice

Thanks you guys, Ive been sifting through the posts getting a good picture of it all. Bought 5 cd roms and a book ebay £42
look forward to your pm onelowban. in your own good time thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.