• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journeys between train stations which can be made quicker on foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Yet in some timetables and on the infomation screens at Sheffield Midland Station its classed as Retford Low Level or Retford High Level.

I think that's because most services between Sheffield and Lincoln use the low level platforms, but two per day use the high level platforms (platform 2, accessing it via the north curve). I'm guessing it's to make passengers aware of the difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattRobinson

Another closed one: Ingrow East and Ingrow West. Saves a trip to Keighley and then a change of train.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Death

Established Member
I can think of a number of examples (Where I'll give the ped times only as I don't have time to look up the timetables)
  • Tamworth HL - Tamworth LL (00m05s)
  • Liverpool LS - Lime St. LL (About 01m00)
  • Glasgow QS - Central (4m35 when I did it on my ALR with luggage)
  • Birmingham New St - Moor St (Generally 3m30 at an amble) - Ditto for Snow Hill
  • London Waterloo - Euston (Takes me ~32m00 - Quicker than WAT-CLJ-WFJ-EUS)
  • In fact; Virtually all London Terminus to London Terminus interchanges are quicker on foot if LuL and bus are disallowed. Only exception might be Waterloo - Victoria.
  • Hackney Ctl - Hackney Downs (About 5m00?)
  • Mallaig - Kyle of Localsh (5h20m00 at my average pace of 6mph, not incl. ferry crossing)
  • Camberley/Frimley - Farnborough North/Blackwater (About 25m00 or less, depending on route)
  • Ash Vale - North Camp (5m30)
  • London Rd (Gfd) - Guildford (It's run on 455s...Try it during the rush-hour! ;))
  • ...And Aldershot - Farnham is generally quicker by bike as it's downhill, and - Unlike the train - The bike doesn't have to slow down for the sharp curves around Heath End! 8-)

Chris M

In fact; Virtually all London Terminus to London Terminus interchanges are quicker on foot if LuL and bus are disallowed. Only exception might be Waterloo - Victoria.

Most (but not all) combinations of London Bridge, Cannon Street, Charing Cross and Blackfriars will be quicker by train than on foot I'd have thought?

London Bridge to St Pancras definitely is.

If you count Waterloo and Waterloo East as one station then you can add Waterloo to that list too. If not then Waterloo to Blackfriars and London Bridge will be quicker by boat than NR train.

dvboy

Established Member
I can think of a number of examples (Where I'll give the ped times only as I don't have time to look up the timetables)
  • Birmingham New St - Moor St (Generally 3m30 at an amble) - Ditto for Snow Hill
  • In fact; Virtually all London Terminus to London Terminus interchanges are quicker on foot if LuL and bus are disallowed. Only exception might be Waterloo - Victoria.
  • Mallaig - Kyle of Localsh (5h20m00 at my average pace of 6mph, not incl. ferry crossing)
  • Camberley/Frimley - Farnborough North/Blackwater (About 25m00 or less, depending on route)
  • London Rd (Gfd) - Guildford (It's run on 455s...Try it during the rush-hour! ;))
  • ...And Aldershot - Farnham is generally quicker by bike as it's downhill, and - Unlike the train - The bike doesn't have to slow down for the sharp curves around Heath End! 8-)

Birmingham New St to Snow Hill is a good 6 minutes at least, and that's using the Navigation St entrance at New Street. Moor Street is closer.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I challenge you, Sir, to walk that while I get the train. I'll be waiting for you at St Pancras. I'll be in my white helmet and racing suit ;)

I suspect you may have misread Chris M's statement. The way I read it he'd be expecting to lose a challenge like that.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm sure nobody has mentioned this yet, but London kings cross to London st Pancreas.

Assuming you mean St Pancras, I'd imagine it was covered by:

12CSVT

Established Member

Tamworth Low Level and High Level are two parts of the same station.

It is possible that Hackney Downs and Hackney Central may effectively become one station next year if a proposed pedestrian link between the two is constructed (plans for the walkway have already been approved by Hackney Council).

els

It seems the implicit assumption made by the majority in this thread is that a train is immediately arriving.

In reality, there will be a much larger set of combinations (including between directly connected stations) when you factor in waiting time. e.g. a service with a half-hourly frequency but a 15 minute walk to the next station will mean that at a random point in time, on average, you should be indifferent between train or the walk.

When someone walks somewhere they generally don't plan the exact time they will leave. Therefore why should this allowance be made for the train trip?

Chris M

In fact; Virtually all London Terminus to London Terminus interchanges are quicker on foot if LuL and bus are disallowed. Only exception might be Waterloo - Victoria.
Most (but not all) combinations of London Bridge, Cannon Street, Charing Cross and Blackfriars will be quicker by train than on foot I'd have thought?

London Bridge to St Pancras definitely is.

I challenge you, Sir, to walk that while I get the train. I'll be waiting for you at St Pancras. I'll be in my white helmet and racing suit ;)

I suspect you may have misread Chris M's statement. The way I read it he'd be expecting to lose a challenge like that.

Indeed, my point was that Waterloo-Victoria is not the only pair of London Terminals where a mainline train journey is quicker than walking between them, and that London Bridge to St Pancras is one such combination that is quicker by train.

bicbasher

Established Member
East Croydon to West Croydon. Approx 10-15 min walk (can be done in 10 with a brisk walk) or the tram, rail requires changing at Norwood Junction or Selhurst.

I'd also debate that Leicester Square to Charing Cross or Piccadilly Circus is quicker by foot considering the time it takes to go to the concourse, escalators, wait for the train etc. I travelled alongside a school party yesterday on a Southeastern train to Charing Cross, they went down to the tube. I went into work, was asked to go to Leicester Square station to get something from the ticket office and saw the same party coming out of the station, this was 10 minutes after they left Charing Cross for a Northern line train.

Charing Cross to Embankment is another 'obvious' journey quicker by foot.

Last edited:

David Barrett

Lincoln to Scunthorpe is actually quicker by bus!

Not in all cases, 1h.23m./1h.25m. by bus, but taken from NRT Mondays to Fridays (note that the emergency timetable because of the Hatfield situation has affected this; sometimes worse, sometimes better than those shown here):

SCU 09.07, BTB 09.21-09.39, LCN 10.14. 1h.7m.
SCU 11.03, BTB 11.17-11.47, LCN 12.22. 1h.19m
SCU 18.13, BTB 18.27-18.48, LCN 19.22. 1h.9m.
SCU 21.12, BTB 21.26-21.42, LCN 22.16. 1h.4m.

LCN 05.57, BTB 06.30-06.45, SCU 07.00. 1h.3m.
LCN 08.14, BTB 08.48-08.53, SCU 09.08. 54m.
LCN 20.02, BTB 20.35-20.53, SCU 21.08. 1h.6m.

Although whether by train or bus deffinetly quicker than walking as mentioned at the start of the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.