• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

June 2024 Timetable Change

JW4

Is this just for one particular service? Or extra number of trains per hour?

Also do you happen to know when AWC will upload their planned timetable to RTT? Thanks
For the former that’s the additional services that would run on weekdays, so there’d be 2 extra BHM —> EUS, 1 extra EUS —> BHM.
I do not know when avanti will upload their planned timetable to RTT.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Also posted in Southern timetable changes consultation Coastway West

One (fairly insignificant but interesting to note) consequence of the Southern changes which I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Southern will pull out of St Denys, Bitterne, Sholing, Hamble and Bursledon completely.

Currently St Denys, Woolston and Netley get three or four services per day. As we know, Woolston will go up massively to 2tph, but Netley will be cut to 1tpd in each direction, and St Denys will be cut altogether. The daily service that stops at all stations will also be cut.

We already knew Bedhampton was losing its regular weekday Southern service, of course (a shame as my family and I use it as a Gunwharf Quays Park and Ride just off the A3(M)) but to clarify, the limited service it will retain is a single morning call in both directions around 6am, and a single evening call in both directions around 11pm.

Here's where it gets interesting. Currently on Sundays, Southern stopping services skip Hilsea, and the Sunday pattern is not proposed to change, so they will skip Bedhampton yet serve Hilsea hourly Mon-Sat, and skip Hilsea yet serve Bedhampton hourly on Sundays.

The 805 fleet purchase size will have included the Shrewsbury service (which starts as a peak service).
So it does add a spare to the rest of the network.
Wrexham is another.
Arguably Avanti will have "too many trains".
That's not being axed as well though, if I understand it right. Wasn't there talk of it being amended to start from Gobowen, in fact, or was that washed down the drain with the original pre-COVID plans to Llandudno and Walsall?

Last edited:

Established Member
Looks like there is still one random train missing on the Derby Crewe service in the middle of the day. Anyone know the reason. I can't believe it saves much money.

The unit sits around all day doing nothing instead of working the trip. It does cost a driver and guard.

However, the benefit of a consistent hourly service without a random gap is well and truly lost on the DfT wombles so no doubt it is cost related.

On the other hand, unit availability is still an issue with servicing capacity being the main problem.

The unit works 1N05, arrives at 0949 and then does precisely nothing all day long sat at Eastcroft until it comes off shed to work 1K71 at 1616. This would appear to be unchanged in June.
I can't believe these services are still missing. It is not like no one uses the service as they are regularly full and standing, even on a 3 car 170 like on Sunday.

Class15

On Moderation
Liverpool Street - Norwich Services:

xx00 Services now call additionally at Chelmsford, where the xx30 services cease to call at Chelmsford, running fast from Stratford - Colchester. Diss/Stowmarket calls are unchanged.

Also 0800 Norwich - Liverpool Street and 1700 Liverpool Street - Norwich are now class 9 headcodes, 9P19 and 9P46 respectively. In addition, the latter also now calls at Stratford.
That’s interesting, as the 9Pxx services were previously the “Norwich in 90” services, using Class 90s and Mk3s. They are also used in times of disruption, probably as a reminder they need to be quick.

AJDesiro

Internally this is what they’re saying they’re going with.
On weekdays:
2 extra BHM —> EUS
1 extra EUS —> BHM
1 step closer to 3tph then. They can’t come soon enough, I’m sick of the XX:21 ex-BHMs being overcrowded because there aren’t yet enough resources to run the XX:17 from further north.

(before anybody tries to tell me they're not overcrowded, this is the seating plan for the 14:20 from Birmingham tomorrow, a service at off peak times on a weekday, add all of the people for Coventry on flexible tickets, and it gets very busy)

Attachments

• 1708552850437.png
    1708552850437.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Also posted in Southern timetable changes consultation Coastway West

One (fairly insignificant but interesting to note) consequence of the Southern changes which I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Southern will pull out of St Denys, Bitterne, Sholing, Hamble and Bursledon completely.

Currently St Denys, Woolston and Netley get three or four services per day. As we know, Woolston will go up massively to 2tph, but Netley will be cut to 1tpd in each direction, and St Denys will be cut altogether. The daily service that stops at all stations will also be cut.

We already knew Bedhampton was losing its regular weekday Southern service, of course (a shame as my family and I use it as a Gunwharf Quays Park and Ride just off the A3(M)) but to clarify, the limited service it will retain is a single morning call in both directions around 6am, and a single evening call in both directions around 11pm.

Here's where it gets interesting. Currently on Sundays, Southern stopping services skip Hilsea, and the Sunday pattern is not proposed to change, so they will skip Bedhampton yet serve Hilsea hourly Mon-Sat, and skip Hilsea yet serve Bedhampton hourly on Sundays.

What is the justification fro stopping at 6am and 11pm? Lack of South Western Servuces at that time?

JW4

1 step closer to 3tph then. They can’t come soon enough, I’m sick of the XX:21 ex-BHMs being overcrowded because there aren’t yet enough resources to run the XX:17 from further north.

(before anybody tries to tell me they're not overcrowded, this is the seating plan for the 14:20 from Birmingham tomorrow, a service at off peak times on a weekday, add all of the people for Coventry on flexible tickets, and it gets very busy)
So according to RTT
15:21 Edinburgh to Euston is now 15:17 dep from BHM
Additional 15:21 BHM —> EUS
16:21 Glasgow to Euston via Birmingham is now 16:17 dep from BHM

Additional 16:21 Birmingham New Street —> Euston
Additional 15:10 Euston —> Birmingham New Street
15:16 Euston to Glasgow via Birmingham remains 15:16

14:xx remains 2tph
14:21 (ex-Blackpool) and 14:47

Last edited:

wls1

few new additions to c2c morning peak timetables:

0708 Leigh - Fenchurch Street
0745 Shoeburyness - Fenchurch Street

both look likely to be formed of 357s so not sure on what additional services will be 720 formed to cover for this

some stop alterations to services around these times because of this.

Also return of half hourly semi fasts off peak on weekdays, certainly welcome throughout this summer. although it looks likely they are back to 4/5 car off peak on the mainline

by the looks of it the evening peak remains the same unless there are unit alterations

JW4

So for Avanti 3tph Birmingham to Euston weekdays in June 2024:
05:30, 05:50 (both ex-Wolves)
06:06, 06:28, 06:47 (all ex-Wolves)
07:17 (ex-Wolves), 07:21, 07:47 (ex-Man Picc)
08:17 (ex-Man Picc), 08:21, 08:47
10:17 (ex-Glasgow), 10:21, 10:47
15:17 (ex-Edinburgh), 15:21, 15:47
16:17 (ex-Glasgow), 16:21, 16:47
17:17, 17:21 (ex-Edinburgh), 17:47
18:17 (ex-Blackpool), 18:21, 18:47

Last edited:

Peter0124

Established Member
TPE seem to be restoring a much healthier service to Glasgow including the 3tpd to Liverpool
The only thing that has me wondering is why is there an empty stock into Polmadie? Because 1S35 forms 1M86 so it seems a bit weird? Hopefully its just a glitch carried over from todays timetable

JW4

Never noticed those Manchester ones before - are they to get sets in place from Longsight? I guess that relieves XC a bit?
On the XC point, seems there’s 1 hr 52 gap between the first and second XC departure of the day from Piccadilly.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpeg
    IMG_0385.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 142

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Never noticed those Manchester ones before - are they to get sets in place from Longsight? I guess that relieves XC a bit?
There is a whole group of services run by the 'wrong' operator through Birmingham in the morning to match up rolling stock to depots, including the 0624 Manchester to Euston via Birmingham run by Avanti. This means a Voyager can be used for the 0639 Nottingham to Bournemouth, which means a 170 can run an extra off-pattern 0625 from Bristol Temple Meads which goes on to Stansted Airport.

thealexweb

TPE seem to be restoring a much healthier service to Glasgow including the 3tpd to Liverpool

And only a single Glasgow service passes through Bolton without stopping! This is the best service we've seen in more than a decade.

dk1

Veteran Member
CrossCountry, Heathrow Express & Merseyrail also up.

Just leaves Cally Sleeper, SE & SWR/Island Line left.

Cheers.

XC did say a full resumption of services to Stansted would happen in 2024 but maybe that’s December :( Shame as the airport is booming hence GA StanEx back to every 15min 7 days per week & TUI alone already saying bookings are over 15% up this summer.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
They've actually run for years, there was one in the initial Pendolino timetable prior to 2008 because I'd occasionally catch it from Manchester to Birmingham, it was an improvement over the Cross-Country service then and now, although I don't think it had catering until Wolverhampton which didn't really matter.
Today one of them performs the role of the "Avanti service scheduled over the Styal line", 9R20 06:03 Piccadilly-Euston. Until the recent timetable change this role was performed by the 19:40 Euston-Piccadilly (which didn't go via Birmingham). It's probably better for an up train to do this because passengers for Stockport (otherwise known as Southport according to RAIL magazine, I digress) from London know that all Manchester trains stop at Stockport and they don't need to listen to announcements.

Whisky Papa

I've just spotted be some welcome additional stops in the late evening service on the Calder Valley. Currently there is a large gap from Sowerby Bridge to Halifax and Bradford Interchange between 2158 and 0005. From June there will be additional calls at made by 1J32 at 2231 and 2J33 at 2308, a notable improvement and long overdue. A similar situation also applies at Mytholmroyd, but they are only getting an additional call by 2J33 at 2300.

moonarrow458

For Chiltern the only changes ive noticed (there may be others) is that:
The 1707 Marylebone to Stourbridge Junction is sped up by 15 minutes with the long dwell at Birmingham Snow Hill removed, departs snow hill 1912 (vice 1924) arriving into Stourbridge Junction 1935 instead of 1950.

On Saturdays the 0703 Amersham to Aylesbury is extended to Aylesbury Vale Parkway.

Its just a shame nothing has been done about the 85 minute gap at West Ruislip, Northolt Park and Sudbury Hill Harrow after the 1518 High Wycombe to Marylebone calls at those stations, with the next service the 1709 West Ruislip to Marylebone. Frustratingly there is a 1611 ECS from High Wycombe to Marylebone that really ought to run in service and plug the 85 minute gap in the late afternoon at the inner London stations

wls1

There are also additions to chiltern that i can see:

new 0721 Princes Risborough - Marylebone added in from Tuesday - Thursday
0637 Oxford - Marylebone no longer calls at Princes Risborough and Beaconsfield, and is now set down only at High Wycombe. The calling pattern is the same as it is now for Monday & Friday.

Also new 1737 Marylebone - Princes Risborough, calling at High Wycombe. 1737 Marylebone - Birmingham Snow Hill is retimed to 1733, although the calling pattern appears the same.

Is this the first case of additional services from Tuesday - Thursday reflecting post pandemic hybrid working?

infobleep

Veteran Member
There are also additions to chiltern that i can see:

new 0721 Princes Risborough - Marylebone added in from Tuesday - Thursday
0637 Oxford - Marylebone no longer calls at Princes Risborough and Beaconsfield, and is now set down only at High Wycombe. The calling pattern is the same as it is now for Monday & Friday.

Also new 1737 Marylebone - Princes Risborough, calling at High Wycombe. 1737 Marylebone - Birmingham Snow Hill is retimed to 1733, although the calling pattern appears the same.

Is this the first case of additional services from Tuesday - Thursday reflecting post pandemic hybrid working?
This reminds me of the 1950s when trains only ran certain days or at different timings in certain days.

JW4

You know what’s going be odd.
Claverdon and Bearley will still have 1tpd direct to London on weekdays, while Telford, Wellington and Shrewsbury will have none.

LowLevel

Established Member
You know what’s going be odd.
Claverdon and Bearley will still have 1tpd direct to London on weekdays, while Telford, Wellington and Shrewsbury will have none.
Claverdon and Bearley having a direct train to London is nothing to do with actually giving those halts a direct train to London though. It is simple convenience for the train operator.

You could say the same about St Germans having a direct train to Paddington.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme finally regain a semi-decent Sunday service into Manchester. In fact, the service into Manchester will be marginally better than that from Manchester, since a few other trains than ex-Buxton call there at random hours, whereas going towards Stockport it's only the Buxton that calls there.

Before anybody not from the area asks, this was not a 2020/COVID casualty. The service towards Manchester has been poor since 2017/2018.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Looking at the Avanti times recently loaded, the hourly Chesters are in there, though the early ones are not restored.
As now, the old 0626 Chester-Euston is not restored; its former twin from Blackpool does run but without even a Chester/coast connection.

The down Chesters are at xx02 from 0902 to 2002, except at 1602, coming back at xx32 from 0732 to 1732 (0932 is actually at 0920 with Trent Valley stops).
The old 1610 down used to be a busy service (to Bangor) and was the only one banned to cheaper coast tickets (code VK), so it's odd that it has gone.
But looking at Euston departures, there is a 1602 departure in 80x timings, but it is an "unadvertised express" to Liverpool (1F29)!
Normal Liverpool departures are at xx43, but this is an extra, and calls at Trent Valley stations.
There is also an extra to Liverpool at 1907, but that is a 390.

The Voyagers had an ECS from Central Rivers to Chester to form the 0920 service to Euston.
There is now a path for an 805 from Oxley depot, but the Voyager ECS is still there as a Q path (runs as required).
There is an ECS path for an 805 from Blackpool North to Oxley off the evening 1705 service from London.