• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

June 2024 Timetable Change

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Isn't it all connected with the Elizabeth Line service changes?
Definitely, yes. I think the background is spread over quite a few threads, unfortunately it’ll be almost impossible to link to a concise explanation.

But the GWR public announcement was last May and confirms that it started with the May 2023 timetable change:

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
Definitely, yes. I think the background is spread over quite a few threads, unfortunately it’ll be almost impossible to link to a concise explanation.

The paths were released from the non-existence of the Bristol super-fast, if I remember right.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Ahh, I see. Any reason why? That service was quite useful.
Yeah it's because the Elizabeth line started running more services west of Paddington using all of the paths on the reliefs there, plus the Oxford services have had their Slough stops removed to speed them up and make the fast service more uniform between Reading and London which is fine because the Didcot services now provide a fast service for Slough, Maidenhead and Twyford to London throughout the day and not just at peak time.
These changes annoyed me too, since I often travel Reading to Ealing and the frequency has been halved with worse trains (387s have forwards facing seats, tables and plug sockets) but ultimately a lot more people will be travelling Maidenhead/Slough to London who get a much better service (the oxford trains are always full so the Slough passengers would have to stand on those) so the changes do make sense.
I'm just hoping they extend the Maidenhead terminator on the Elizabeth line out to Reading to maintain the 15 min frequency, but I'm not optimistic at all.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I think it’s been touched on before, but the changes to the peak time Bromley North shuttle service are awful. It changes a useful service into one that a lot of people will ignore in favour of the bus. The morning peak has the 3tph service reduced from 7am to 10am, to just 7-8am. This removes the key city bound train, which was 08.14, connecting to the 8.23 Grove Park to Cannon St. They’ve then introduced 3tph from 5pm to 7pm, which breaks the links to the Charing X trains and leaves quite a few 15 minute waits at Grove Park. The peak trains are not at clockface 20 minute intervals, but are at quite random times.

The current timetable works well, I wish they’d left it alone. As it is, I suspect I’ll be using the new superloop bus a fair bit from Bromley North to Chislehurst and getting the trains from there.
With four trains per hour from London, it really shouldn't be difficult to make a self contained shuttle connect at Grove Park. In reality it's about as bad as it could possibly be.

PGAT

Established Member
With four trains per hour from London, it really shouldn't be difficult to make a self contained shuttle connect at Grove Park. In reality it's about as bad as it could possibly be.
Theoretically you could have 4tph shuttling with just one unit

nw1

Established Member

Or just plan the timetable to connect rather than randomly doing 3tph at random intervals. The purpose of it is to connect to London trains, so it should be timed to do so.

As I said, compare and contrast with 1982 (timetable on Timetable World).

3tph shuttle with excellent connection to 3tph London service, all at clockface intervals.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Or just plan the timetable to connect rather than randomly doing 3tph at random intervals. The purpose of it is to connect to London trains, so it should be timed to do so.
Apologies, I got this wrong. It works fine off peak with five minutes in the down direction and four minutes going up. No idea what I looked at before.

brad465

Established Member
Theoretically you could have 4tph shuttling with just one unit
You can, but pre-covid when it was done it required double manning as the turnaround time was too short for one driver to change ends, despite only having to walk the length of a 2 carriage unit.

Veteran Member
compare and contrast with 1982 (timetable on Timetable World).

3tph shuttle with excellent connection to 3tph London service, all at clockface intervals.
But the peak service isn't 3tph any more, it's 2tph-based, which will always be difficult to manage for the branch.

Mike99

Recently one of the Senior Conductors took well over £1k on the 17:30 down. Was mainly upgrades to First Class to obtain a seat and those with wrong train Advance Purchase tickets.

Yes I had mentioned this earlier in the thread. With the 08:00 becoming a peak train the already busy 08:30 now takes this honour and has had Stowmarket & Chelmsford added to its calling points. When the ridiculously flexible hare fares are offered they really need to be barred from this service. One to watch with interest.
Will the two faster services be on your roster to drive them after the June changes?

Mike99

I was wondering hoe busy the line is in the evening peak how difficult it will be to get to Ipswich in 58 minutes including the Stratford stop?

dk1

Veteran Member
I was wondering hoe busy the line is in the evening peak how difficult it will be to get to Ipswich in 58 minutes including the Stratford stop?

Will be a piece of cake like it was before when it was non-stop.

Much of the GEML works around the Intercity service.

Liverpool 507

What is preventing Northern from re-introducing the Warrington Bank Quay locals? I still find it delusional that Huyton to Earlestown doesn't warrant a second stopping train, yet other lines currently operating (* or yet to open) such as Wigan to Southport, Ashington* to Newcastle, Saltburn etc. do warrant a half hourly service.

Llandudno

Established Member
What is preventing Northern from re-introducing the Warrington Bank Quay locals? I still find it delusional that Huyton to Earlestown doesn't warrant a second stopping train, yet other lines currently operating (* or yet to open) such as Wigan to Southport, Ashington* to Newcastle, Saltburn etc. do warrant a half hourly service.
Perhaps it maybe worth contacting the Liverpool City Region Mayor…?

Adam Evans

I was told by a conductor a while back that even before COVID it was one of the most heavily subsidised services on the Northern network and that they were looking for a reason to cut it beforehand, but that politics kept it afloat.

I do agree though that it is ludicrous that stations east of Huyton like Whiston, Rainhill and St Helens Junction are stuck with measly one train per hour. Prior to the 2018 timetable change I think these stations had at least 2tph as as one or both of them went to Mcr Victoria as well as the extra service to Bank Quay. I might be wrong on this though.

I hope they bring it back at some point, but at the moment it doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

nw1

Established Member
I was told by a conductor a while back that even before COVID it was one of the most heavily subsidised services on the Northern network and that they were looking for a reason to cut it beforehand, but that politics kept it afloat.

I do agree though that it is ludicrous that stations east of Huyton like Whiston, Rainhill and St Helens Junction are stuck with measly one train per hour. Prior to the 2018 timetable change I think these stations had at least 2tph as as one or both of them went to Mcr Victoria as well as the extra service to Bank Quay. I might be wrong on this though.

I hope they bring it back at some point, but at the moment it doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

Were these part of that diagramming pattern that included Liverpool-Manchester then Manchester-Crewe?

ISTR it was something like Liverpool-Manchester-Crewe-Manchester-Liverpool-Warrington-Liverpool then repeat, and was introduced on electrification.

Possible I've got it mixed up with something else as I'm completely out of touch with that part of the country nowadays.

If so then presumably it wasn't that expensive to run because it fit into an interworking pattern with other services?

Things are changing up to Shrewsbury.
As previously discussed one WMR service will run via Bescot and one via Smethwick however it seems that the xx40 from salop to Brum will now leave at xx59 and be run semi fast straight to brum and then another service being the xx05 which will run via Bescot which should relieve the delays on the line and any catching up of services!

So clockface will be
XX05 to brum via Bescot all stations
XX30 to brum (TfW)
XX59 to brum via Smethwick semi fast.

AJDesiro

Things are changing up to Shrewsbury.
As previously discussed one WMR service will run via Bescot and one via Smethwick however it seems that the xx40 from salop to Brum will now leave at xx59 and be run semi fast straight to brum and then another service being the xx05 which will run via Bescot which should relieve the delays on the line and any catching up of services!

So clockface will be
XX05 to brum via Bescot all stations
XX30 to brum (TfW)
XX59 to brum via Smethwick semi fast.
In a way, it's similar to the 3tph Avanti's from Birmingham to Euston, with a half-hourly fast pattern, with a slower train sandwiched closely after a fast one. That slower service will probably be good for those who want a quieter journey.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member