• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keolis/Amey to take over Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth950

Bus station? That went a few years back in another transforming initiative. Any way the Stagecoach Gold 132 from Cardiff passes Taffs Well station.
The new bus station, all 14 bays of it, will be with us by 2021, just in time for the Assembly elections. It will be a major embarrassment if it's not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Bus station? That went a few years back in another transforming initiative. Any way the Stagecoach Gold 132 from Cardiff passes Taffs Well station.

A top tip I can pass on to the Ministerial delegation ( we know you crazy guys @ TFW follow Rail UK Forums) from my years visiting new places by public transport is to sit in the left hand side of the bus, you can see out the front and not have your view blocked by the driver so you know where to get off!

Dai Corner

Established Member
The 132 goes 'down the Bay' I believe, so they could get it all the way to Nantgarw. It's a Stagecoach Gold route so better than a Pacer. Hope it doesn't rain in the walk from the bus stop.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread is to discuss Keolis/Amey to take over Wales and Borders.

If anyone wishes to discuss trams, or any other idea for alternative rail provision, please either post in a relevant thread (if there is one), or create a new thread (if there isn't). Thanks.

gareth950

I've got the agenda for Monday through my psychic powers......

Ken and Carwyn don the high-vis vests, look like they know what they're talking about when chatting to students at Coleg Y Cymoedd's 'Railway training centre of excellence', get lots of photo ops in, then make a set piece speech about "jobs for the valleys", get all the platitudes in;
World class, made in Wales, innovative solutions, exciting, ambitious, transformational change, once in a generation, no thanks to nasty Westminster/Grayling/DfT/Network Rail......
And gloss over everything else.

What a shame it's all become so predictable.

Llandudno

Established Member
Just seen two tweets from ATW promoting the Conwy Valley Line, including beautiful pictures of trains running alongside the River Conwy and Betws station.
Shame that ATW have cancelled all trains on this line for a number of days this week, yes, Spring Bank Holiday Week! Replacement buses are operating because ATW haven’t enough trains!
Can’t they borrow some from sister company Northern, they have plenty of trains but no drivers!
You couldn’t make it up!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be fair, it's probably about the best line to take a unit off, as a bus can pretty much keep time so disruption is minimised - and it's still a stunning ride by bus over the Crimea Pass.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just seen two tweets from ATW promoting the Conwy Valley Line, including beautiful pictures of trains running alongside the River Conwy and Betws station.
Shame that ATW have cancelled all trains on this line for a number of days this week, yes, Spring Bank Holiday Week! Replacement buses are operating because ATW haven’t enough trains!
Can’t they borrow some from sister company Northern, they have plenty of trains but no drivers!
You couldn’t make it up!

More trains than usual under repairs.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Welsh Government want to destroy a pre existing cross city HR network whose stations are very well placed for the city it serves constitutes forethought?
Even if the Welsh Government want that, we don't know if KeolisAmey also want that. If they are planning tram-trains, they could still run through to Penarth and Barry Island, or (as I hope) trains from those places could still run through to Aberdare etc. with the tram-trains just doing Cardiff Bay - Taff's Well and the Coryton branch.

What I'm more concerned about is that more heavy rail will inevitably rule out future extensions if/when needed - for all you know, there could yet be significant investment in The Valleys (housing, new towns etc) or a town layout rebuilt/extended. For Cardiff itself a light rail system could be extended into busy suburbs.
Going for either Heavy Rail or Light Rail would rule out different extension options. Heavy rail only means you cannot extend on-street (for example extending the bay branch closer to the Senedd or linking it to the back door of Cardiff Central). Light-rail only means you cannot put a new branch to Brecon branching off somewhere just south of Merthyr and cannot extend the Aberdare branch through to Swansea via Glyn-Neath (ok, physically you could do those last two things, journeys of that length on a tram? Merthyr's too far as it is). I hope that since I am talking about heavy-rail extensions I am on-topic enough.

Ken Skates has made his first utterance on the new franchise.
This is in the Merseytravel aanouncement of the completion of the work to bring the Halton Curve into full service, with a Wales & Borders service starting in December:
https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/abo...-time-ready-for-new-services-in-December.aspx
I hope they aren't planning to introduce that service before obtaining additional stock. I think 5 ex-ScotRail class 156s should be available in December, which could be used on Pembroke Dock and Heart Of Wales services to release some 150s for the Halton curve service. But have ScotRail's 156s had the PRM mods done, and can enough drivers do the convertion course to 156s in time?

sw1ller

Established Member
I hope they aren't planning to introduce that service before obtaining additional stock. I think 5 ex-ScotRail class 156s should be available in December, which could be used on Pembroke Dock and Heart Of Wales services to release some 150s for the Halton curve service. But have ScotRail's 156s had the PRM mods done, and can enough drivers do the convertion course to 156s in time?

Regarding the conversion course for drivers, it can’t be more than a day long for the course. I know a 153 conversation course is only a day, get 3 drivers a day on it and you’ll have plenty after only a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding Cambrian improvements (if it happens at all), would something along the following service pattern be desirable?

Aberystwyth - Birmingham every 2 hours as present
Aberystwyth - Crewe via Nantwich every 2 hours (taking over the local stations between Shrewsbury and Crewe)
Pwllheli - Dyfi Junction every 4 hours (connections to and from Aberystwyth - Birmingham)
Pwllheli - Birmingham every 4 hours (couples/uncouples to Aberystwyth - Birmingham at Machynlleth)

Assuming 2 x 158s coupled up between Aberystwyth - Birmingham at all times, there would be a 6 coach formation every 4 hours between Machynlleth - Birmingham.

Would it also be worthwhile having double 158s for the Aberystwyth - Crewe, or better a single owing to platforms at the request stops between Shrewsbury and Crewe?

Apart from the 158s that are used for Cardiff - Fishguard Harbour boat trains (I believe 837 to 841 are allocated to Cardiff Canton, according to the Abrail website, with the other 19 allocated to Machynlleth), this would allow the Machynlleth 158s to be concentrated on the Cambrian and nowhere else.

With the possible suggestion of new stock from Stadler as mentioned upthread, could Birmingham - Chester via Shrewsbury be allocated for 175s, with the new stock for the Manchester - Cardiff via the Marches?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Regarding Cambrian improvements (if it happens at all), would something along the following service pattern be desirable?

Aberystwyth - Crewe via Nantwich every 2 hours (taking over the local stations between Shrewsbury and Crewe)
Pwllheli - Dyfi Junction every 4 hours (connections to and from Aberystwyth - Birmingham)
Pwllheli - Birmingham every 4 hours (couples/uncouples to Aberystwyth - Birmingham at Machynlleth)

Assuming 2 x 158s coupled up between Aberystwyth - Birmingham at all times, there would be a 6 coach formation every 4 hours between Machynlleth - Birmingham.

Would it also be worthwhile having double 158s for the Aberystwyth - Crewe, or better a single owing to platforms at the request stops between Shrewsbury and Crewe?

Apart from the 158s that are used for Cardiff - Fishguard Harbour boat trains (I believe 837 to 841 are allocated to Cardiff Canton, according to the Abrail website, with the other 19 allocated to Machynlleth), this would allow the Machynlleth 158s to be concentrated on the Cambrian and nowhere else.

With the possible suggestion of new stock from Stadler as mentioned upthread, could Birmingham - Chester via Shrewsbury be allocated for 175s, with the new stock for the Manchester - Cardiff via the Marches?

The fact that 158837 to 841 are shewn as allocated to CF is of no significance. The fleet's diagrams cycle round Machynlleth with one coming down to Cardiff to work own south including Fishguard and returning 3 days later.

iantherev

Quite - I had 158825 yesterday between Newport and Cardiff on a train from Cheltenham. It’s been around for a few days now asbI photographed it on Tuesday on the Gloucester - Fishguard Harbour.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Could Birmingham - Chester via Shrewsbury be allocated for 175s, with the new stock for the Manchester - Cardiff via the Marches?
I don't think that's possible while the Cambrian trains run through to/from Birmingham International. The incoming train from the Cambrian forms the service to Chester/Holyhead and vice-versa. Both routes are thus constrained to use ETCS-equipped rolling stock.

adrock1976

Established Member
The fact that 158837 to 841 are shewn as allocated to CF is of no significance. The fleet's diagrams cycle round Machynlleth with one coming down to Cardiff to work own south including Fishguard and returning 3 days later.

I don't think that's possible while the Cambrian trains run through to/from Birmingham International. The incoming train from the Cambrian forms the service to Chester/Holyhead and vice-versa. Both routes are thus constrained to use ETCS-equipped rolling stock.

Are all 24 of the 158s (ATW) fitted with the ETCS equipment?

Could the Chester/Holyhead be separated out, or would the single track sections between Shrewsbury and (at least) Machynlleth be one of the constraining factors?

Gareth Marston

Established Member

Could the Chester/Holyhead be separated out, or would the single track sections between Shrewsbury and (at least) Machynlleth be one of the constraining factors?

It's the swap over at International the incoming service from Holyhead then forms a Cambrian service and viz versa. You would have to break the current operating practice to do anything different you need a fleet all fitted with etcs for this.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Aberystwyth - Birmingham is hourly for much of the day, and actually needs to be hourly ALL day.
Aberystwyth - Crewe would be a waste of time. Most passengers want to go to Brum!
Cambrian Coast needs to be at least 2 hourly, and probably hourly at some times.
Your proposals seem to make the service worse than now!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

All fitted

adrock1976

Established Member
Aberystwyth - Birmingham is hourly for much of the day, and actually needs to be hourly ALL day.
Aberystwyth - Crewe would be a waste of time. Most passengers want to go to Brum!
Cambrian Coast needs to be at least 2 hourly, and probably hourly at some times.
Your proposals seem to make the service worse than now!

I thought it was just the section between Aberystwyth and Shrewsbury that was presently hourly with some gaps.

Although I did not expand the last but one post, I should have explained that the combined frequencies would be Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury every 60 minutes, and Pwllheli - Dyfi Junction every 2 hours.

Regarding Aberystwyth - Crewe, it would be somewhere to send the present Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury short workings somewhere, which would provide better connections to the Cambrian from Crewe and points north. I have noticed that the ex Manchester - Cardiff etc via the Marches does not have a friendly connection at Shrewsbury at present.

Also, would there be scope for short workings every 2 hours from either Machynlleth or Dyfi Junction - Barmouth during July and August at least? With me having a quick look at the timetable, it does seem doable owing to the single track sections. This would give a combined frequency of every 60 minutes between Machynlleth or Dyfi Junction - Barmouth.

Furryanimal

Let's hope they provide a service on the Marches line that arrives in Cardiff before 10am on a Sunday and address the issue of no northbound weekday service between 2155 and 0030 on weekdays making it difficult to attend events in Cardiff that finish at around 10 to 1030.I spend a fortune in taxis as I can't get further than Newport unless I wait for that last train!There is a perfectly good train provided on a Sunday.

Established Member
Interesting to see who gets what, assuming it is Stadler for the other half, I'm going for Stadler trams, and Flirts for the heavy rail short distance commuter stuff, and CAF DMU's for the long distance stuff, I know some may think it will be the other way around but we will see oh and just to froth all the Loco Hauled brigade how about some CAF Mk5 and an updated Stadler 68<D

And getting slightly off the point in all future franchises replacement of BR era sprinter stock should be compulsory.

Last edited:

PR1Berske

Established Member
"Five new stations...." always grabs my attention...but seems to be a Metro announcement. Will anywhere outside Cardiff get a look in?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Very much the "happy headline" press release with little real detail on issues - some more might come out later today- nothing on Keolis cymru website at moment.

Did we all notice how PRM compliance was dealt with? I thought not......

Domh245

Established Member
PRM complaince was partially sorted by the announcement when the winning bidder was announced, that the 158s and 150s would receive retention toilets and PRM mods in an 18 month program, and coupled with the 769 annoucement of old leaves only the 30 Pacers and 8 153s non compliant, but if you've dug up half of the valleys for conversion, you won't need them.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Interesting that they're planning to replace all stock. Is that all Valleys or all total? The 175s are decent units and it'd be shame to see them go. Unsure where they'd end up.

The key statistic given is that 95% of journeys (that's journeys, not journey miles, so heavily weighted to short commuter services) should be on new trains within five years. I haven't done any back-of-envelope calculations, but I reckon that 95% figure could be met without replacing the 175s. As you say, we'd like the other rolling stock replaced first. The headline "total fleet replacement" could involve replacing the 175s toward the end of the franchise (by which point they'll be over 30 years old).

Status
Not open for further replies.