• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kris' Travel Advice! [Trip Reports/Reviews]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Glad to hear you've joined the Cat Fan Club, I believe 55013 and 47403 are the club presidents and may wish to receive a membership fee! :lol:;)

Eh, what?
<Suddenly perks up>

Yes, if you'd like to make your check payable to "The 55013 retirement fund" and post them to me C/O The Home for Elderly Rail Cranks, PO Box 55013, Bradford.

Thanks

;)

Kristofferson

Right then, I'm off on one of my rare-as-rocking-horse-dung trips on Thursday, and have been encouraged by Tech and Lord Spoon Goon to share my travels on Twitter!

So for those of you of a tweeting disposition, I'm @KrisOnTheRails and the hashtag is #KrisTakesTheDayOff :)

Now, to catch up on more trip report reading before I go...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I look forward to the tweets on Thursday and of course the trip report! Wherever you're off to, hope it's a good time!

Kristofferson

“Kris Takes The Day Off”

Evening all :)

It's time for one of my famously infrequent trip reports! My opportunities to do "trains for the sake of trains" are quite rare so, when out on the rails, I try and look for something a bit different.

Having recently tried the most thrashy loco of modern times (68) and the fastest third-rail train (442), my chosen oddity today is the tiny flywheel-driven Class 139 for a trip on the shortest branch line in Europe. With a (relatively) cheap return to Stourbridge Town booked a few days in advance, I'm up earlyish to polish off the obligatory bag prep and housework before attempting to head out.

After a quick argument with the cat (who is happily sat on my jacket) about whether or not I'm allowed to leave the house, he finally relents and I emerge into grim drizzle for the walk down t'hill.

Arrival at my local station is far too early (it's all about leaving contingency time!) and I fester for half hour in the damp conditions. Shortly after a Gatwick Express 387 thunders past on test, my Class 350 chariot to Watford Junction finally rolls up.

Another 20 minutes of festering is enjoyed (endured?) at Watford Junction, but at least I score two winning Virgin Super Voyagers for sight. It's one of the few classes I actually "spot" and the last one with remaining requirements. Now I've ticked off 116 & 142, there's only two more to go and my requirements list will be clear! It should be noted at this point that Voyager spotting is flippin' difficult due to the positioning of the numbers and the speed of the trains - luckily, a quick message to VT's Twitter team helps me confirm that I did see the units I thought I saw!

Anyway, I digress! 1137 rolls round and 390 040 in its new Virgin Radio Star livery glides into the platform. I'm not a fan of the Virgin brand's constant need for cross-promotion, but the vinyls suit the Pendolino. As expected, there's someone asleep in my reserved window seat (which turns out to be rubbish anyway) so I awkwardly squeeze into the aisle seat next to them. I don't think they noticed. Some tilty goodness is enjoyed and we arrive right time at New New Street.

IOmN25d.jpg

Relying on my very limited local knowledge to head towards Snow Hill, I make it as far as Sainsburys on Union Street before briefly breaking out the sat nav to get my bearings. Turns out I'm only slightly off course and I arrive at Snow Hill 15mins after leaving New Street.

It's my first time at Snow Hill and well, isn't it different to what the name suggests? Given the name, I expected something a bit more "vintage" and romantic. Turns out it's a concrete monstrosity underneath a car park. I see why Fishquinn calls it Snow Hell!

Having arrived at Snow Hell quicker than expected, I take the opportunity to board an earlier train towards Stourbridge Jct. It's a Class 172 Turbostar which, for those who have never seen one, looks like an Electrostar and feels like a bus thanks to its hydraulic transmission. I've never travelled on a train with a gearbox before - although there isn't much thrash, I enjoy the noise as it revs up and works through the gears.

rfzNGTi.jpg

Munching on some Walkers Sensations (other crisps are available), I see that the West Midlands is still largely an industrial landscape - albeit with large swathes of rotting warehouse wastelands. After Rowley Regis, the industrial scenery slowly transitions to residential suburbs and we arrive right time at Stourbridge Junction.

Now, the main event! I wander over to platform 1 just as a Class 139 Parry People Mover whirrs up the final hill towards the station. My, this thing is small! Think of a Pacer, shrink it then slap the cab front from a 365 on it and you've got the picture! Letting the seemingly well-used railcar unload its passengers, I board the bus-like interior and take a sneaky photo of the open rear cab - the controls look really simple, but I refrain from asking "can I have a go"!

ZAeTP6a.jpg

A bench seat is had as the traincrew (who take turns as driver and ticket inspector) swap ends and we're ready for the off! The Ford LPG engine (similar to that found in the Mondeo!), which is always rumbling away to provide power to the auxiliary electrics, speeds up a bit as the train rolls forwards before quickly dropping off as the flywheel releases its stored energy.

It's a quiet ride as expected (thrash addicts need not apply!) and I'm reminded of a miniature railway as I watch the track slowly roll towards us through the front windscreen. It's a hot, bumpy experience - as someone remarks on Twitter, "is this any better than a Pacer?". My response is "probably not, but it has more character!".

[youtube]_k9ut_SOqfc[/youtube]

A few minutes later, I disembark at the lovely Stourbridge Town station and watch the 139 leave before wandering to the town centre for a quick look around. It's... a very average place. I expected it to have a villagey feel, but instead I'm greeted by a generic brick high street. Still, at least it has a CEX where I pick up a couple of games for cheap before heading back to the rails!

zzBq8bz.jpg

The 139 is already in the platform when I return and, after a revvier initial performance from the engine, it bounces silently back up the hill. I grab a couple more snaps of it at Stourbridge Jct and cross platforms for a Dorridge-bound 172 back to Snow Hell.

During this journey, I see some things that would be of interest on a WMDR ticket - the trams and 170+153 combos for sure! It's a trouble free trip back to Snow Hell and a warm walk back to New Street (unaided by technology this time!), where a quick lunch is grabbed from M&S.

I'm on my booked 390 home half hour before it leaves and briefly tweet with Hassaanhch, who is on a Daytripper, about how we seem to have just missed each other at both Birmingham stations!

I3nM4Hi.jpg

The ride to Watford Junction is made more entertaining by a fellow passenger who, when caught travelling on an invalid ticket, protests that restrictions are not clearly advertised (despite them being clearly advertised at point of sale); that he wasn't aware the ticket isn't valid on this train (despite repeated announcements) and that it's "immoral" for the ticket barriers to let him onto the paid concourse before the ticket validity begins (despite there being retail outlets and toilets on the concourse that passengers may want to access at any time). Eventually, about 30 miles later, he gives in and pays the full fare for a new ticket (ouch)!

A quick change of trains at Watford Junction is followed by a short walk uphill and I arrive home, where the cat is exactly where I left him this morning (sans jacket)!

Well, I had a cracking day out. Hope you enjoyed the read, guys :)

Cheers
Kris

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad you had a good bash, it's been a while since I last had a 139. Very funky things, that's for sure.

I can walk New Street to Snow Hill in 6 minutes (I think 5 the other way!), it's an easier walk than it seems before you do it. I do agree however it's not the nicest of stations, that being said I prefer it to Brussels North!

Thank Goodness the cat let you out eventually :lol: Shame I couldn't join you on your trip to my home turf. Got to ask, did you enjoy the 172 noise up Old Hill? Quite a gradient starting just after the level crossing at the eastern end of Cradley Heath, goes on for quite a way I believe!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A good read there! I agree - the 139s do have good character. At least you now know why I call Brum's most grotty station 'Snow Hell'!

Kristofferson

Tech: 5 minutes? You must know where you're going! It took me that long to get halfway down Corporation Street... I did indeed enjoy the 172 noise, mostly because it was so different to anything else. Must get it for Train Sim :)

Mr Fish: Thanks! Aye I'll be avoiding Snow Hell where possible - should be able to get around it with trams and Smethwick - Bat Cave services.

Kite: Was just nice to get out on the trains! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have to motor on to make it it in 5 minutes, but that downhill run into New Street is very handy for that :lol: Aye I know the route well, having done the walk too many times to count. If you're walking down Corporation Street you're going the long way, shortest way is via Temple Street!

crehld

Established Member
Great read as usual Kris. You're quite right, Stourbridge is a rather average place! And I think there's something typically British about the 139 as an engineering solution... it's got a sort of 'built in a back garden shed' feel about it.

Kristofferson

Cheers! :) I agree - as easy as it would have been to leave a DMU on the route or build a bus way, good old Blighty came up with a creative but rattly solution!

Established Member
An enjoyable read Kris, glad you had a good day out on the rails and achieved your objective. Still say them 139's remind me of the old 141's, well half a one, at least, I haven't seen any of the 139's for sight so I don't know what they sound like but a Ford Mondeo is hardly a ringing endorsement for a train:lol::lol:

I'd have just went to Moor St, its an all round more pleseant experience, Snow Hill is so much like Sunderland Station, its unreal, hence the reason I now call it Snow Hill on Wear.

As for the Thundercats Membership, yes just send the cheque to 55013, HE got us all started, I think, he may put the money towards the cost of a North East Round Robin;);) Glad you managed to get a Cat for haulage, awesome machines.

Kristofferson

Cheers Mr 47! Like I said, the next trip will be more thrashy... Just need the summer holidays to come round now :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If your summer trip involves what I think it does, then all being well the thrash will be worth the trip!

Snow Hill on Wear, I like that too!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
As for the Thundercats Membership, yes just send the cheque to 55013, HE got us all started, I think, he may put the money towards the cost of a North East Round Robin;);)
Did he? I thought it was a certain forum member who's local station gets the chiltern cats! ;)

Established Member
:lol:
I don't know who started eulogising about the 68s first but I'm happy for you to claim the honour as long as I get the cheques :)

Kristofferson

Hello again guys and girls! Apologies in advance that I haven't yet caught up with reading everyone else's epic trip reports, but I thought I'd get this up anyway for those of you who might be interested in my adventures :)

Kris Does Dawlish

Welcome all to the latest entry in my infrequent trip report catalogue! I'm still on a mission to experience the oddities of the British rail network, and my next target [as some of you were aware] is the infamous Pacer “bus train”!

My original intention was to travel up north for a 142 but, when a holiday to Devon was suddenly scheduled for May, I decided to seize the opportunity for two unique experiences - a ride on the 143 Pacer and a visit to the famous Dawlish sea wall!

Let’s skip the journey from home to Exeter [it’s the usual 350, S7 and HST] and get straight to the action…

riMdBF7.jpg

After a night’s stay in the Exeter Jury's Inn, a business-oriented chain hotel where you know what to expect and they don't nickle & dime you for stupid add ons, we collect a hire car from Exeter St David’s station and spend the day with family friends at Pecorama. This is the home of the Peco model railway products - it contains a vast exhibition, shop and even a miniature steam railway. Well worth a visit if you have a model railway, or kids!

BwnbHeg.jpg

A grand day out is had and we return the hire car early that evening. It’s at this point that I suggest we take the train uphill to Exeter Central [no ulterior motive whatsoever, honest!].

My good wife agrees and, as expected, 143 617 clatters its way into the platform. Our chariot screeches to a halt [my poor ears] and opens its folding bus doors to welcome us aboard! I'm quite impressed by the huge passenger compartment between the two vestibules, with big windows and lots of airline seating. “It’s a bit like an intercity train!” I think to myself.

608LEgd.jpg

That's where the similarities end. The tiny diesel engine strains into life and sends washing machine vibrations through the carriage, as the Pacer thrashes its way up the hill. There’s a lot of noise, but not a lot happening!

As our “Pacer experience” [can’t imagine that selling well on Red Letter Days] continues, the ride is surprisingly harsh considering how much the damn thing is bouncing around! At least it’s quiet and the ride is short - not sure we’ll be so lucky tomorrow when we head off to Dawlish in the middle of half term!

It’s at this point, in keeping with the “Kris’ Travel Advice” theme, that I should recommend the Byron burger outlet that was enjoyed after arrival in Exeter city centre. Their special burgers are pretty impressive - currently, it’s a “Byronaldo” burger with fries onions and Bovril(!)

QaulpEZ.jpg

The next day arrives and it’s straight to Exeter Central for the trip to Dawlish. The anticipated 143 turns up absolutely wedged, and becomes even more sardine-like as holidaymakers and families squeeze on. We’re lucky enough to get airline seats, but the crowding down the aisle might make it difficult to alight!

Compared to the bounce-fest that was last night’s journey, the Pacer isn't quite as bad when at speed! We pass some picturesque seaside villages and arrive into Dawlish about half an hour later. Squeezing past the other passengers, including those boarding the train [“let passengers off the train first” doesn't seem to apply in Devon!], we stumble out into the sunshine and make our way down the famous sea wall.

I perch on a bench and get the decent camera out, as the missus decides reading her book will be more interesting than watching the trains. You'll see from the pictures and videos below that the passing machines are an impressive sight, but nothing can compare to actually being here - a foot or so away from heavy diesels like the HSTs and Voyagers as they hammer past at 60(?)mph. It’s really quite something!

n0j3vYM.jpg

[youtube]a1g_vgAJuK8[/youtube]

About 90mins later, with me having admired; photographed and videoed every class of train that regularly passes through, we pack up and head to an ice cream shop across the road from the station. A welcome cool down is had before boarding a Paddington-bound HST back to Exeter St David’s. It’s on this journey that we can appreciate just how scenic the sea view is on this railway!

apJD6JG.jpg

The final part of our holiday is a short fester at the most impressive Wetherspoon’s near Exeter St David’s [curry club!], then it’s time for our booked HST home. Thanks for reading, all - hope you enjoyed the pics and videos!

XeUvPqW.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
Very good read Kris, hopefully now you may appreciate why all bar HMS Ark Royal, arent exactly fans of the pacers. However seems like you both had very enjoyable break away. That Spoons looks mighty impressive too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not played the video yet, and that Spoons sounds new as I wasn't aware of it before. Not that I've been Spoons scoring for ages now, not even had a new beer in a while!

Very much enjoyed the read, and if I'm not mistaken there's a view of Westbury station from the east end in there. Oh I miss that run, not done it for years. Think it was 21st June 2010 when I last arrived into Westbury on an HST, excuse me while I enjoy those memories...

Did you only go for two days? Rather long trip for a two day break! Glad you enjoyed the Dawlish Sea Wall, on a gorgeous day it is most enjoyable for sure, quite a nice walk. It's also a nice ride past in First Class ;)

So you're not a Pacer fan? :lol:

hassaanhc

Established Member
Excellent report :) I'm getting increasingly tempted to visit Dawlish, looks like a very beautiful place. I did Pacers from Manchester a few months ago, I honestly thought their ride quality was better than 72ts and comparable to 73ts.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Excellent report :) I'm getting increasingly tempted to visit Dawlish, looks like a very beautiful place. I did Pacers from Manchester a few months ago, I honestly thought their ride quality was better than 72ts and comparable to 73ts.

£16 day return offer on SWT from next week ;)

Plus get a £10 Devon Day Rover, and be free in Devon, the land of the XC HST ;)

Kristofferson

Thanks very much chaps, glad you enjoyed the short read :) I can definitely see why most are not Pacer fans.

Tech - I think you'll enjoy the video, it's 2 mins of pure action!

Hassan - Pacers are better than tube stock, but it's pretty damning for a mainline train to only be marginally better!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just watched the video during the final stages of the trip into town this morning, I did indeed enjoy it :) You'll notice I subscribed and liked it on YouTube too ;)

How Mrs Kristofferson could focus on the book I have no idea, and doesn't she look bored :lol:

I believe the sea wall section is 40mph, but not 100% on that.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a great break away! I've been to Dawlish but would love to go again. Have you joined the pacer hating club then? ;)

Kristofferson

Mrs Kris wasn't too bored thanks to whatever that book was, but you're right though - can't have been easy to read with a Voyager thundering past your face!

I've joined the Pacer Mild Dislike Club ;)

Established Member
I like pacers :)
I love Devon, mind.
Great report - those burgers look healthy ;)

Keith Jarrett

Devon's great - best thing along the sea wall though is a class 50 on mark 1s when the sea's coming over the wall. I remember one Saturday night (29th Feb 1980) when we were on the last one down with 50011 and got stopped at the Warren. The Bobby yells out of the box something about the sea coming over the wall so take care. Problem was that we had the Laira Cowboy up front (complete with 10 gallon hat and boot lace tie). Stopped at Dawlish to let a few hardy souls off. Problem was little or no grip on on departure so the Cowboy had to totter all the way to the first tunnel then as soon as the loco was inside, he absolutely let rip, much to the joy of the front coach! Then emerging from the tunnel, it was back to cautious driving until the next when the entertainment was switched on again. OK we arrived about 10 down at Newton Abbot where we bailed for the up midnight. We had about an hour for the up so someone was dispatched to the chippy while the rest of the gang stayed on the platform. In contrast to the storms of Dawlish, it was a clear night just a few miles inland. Around 15 minutes after 50011 had left Newton Abbot, we heard the sounds of a hoover being thrashed. It was the cowboy giving 50011 a good thrashing on the climb out of Totnes. Eventually the up appeared and as with most Saturday nights at the time, it produced a pair - 50034+50045 tonight, routed via Yeovil, Bristol and Badminton through to Paddington. Those were the real days and no disputes about whether Voyagers are better than Pacers ....

Established Member
Devon's great - best thing along the sea wall though is a class 50 on mark 1s when the sea's coming over the wall. I remember one Saturday night (29th Feb 1980) when we were on the last one down with 50011 and got stopped at the Warren. The Bobby yells out of the box something about the sea coming over the wall so take care. Problem was that we had the Laira Cowboy up front (complete with 10 gallon hat and boot lace tie). Stopped at Dawlish to let a few hardy souls off. Problem was little or no grip on on departure so the Cowboy had to totter all the way to the first tunnel then as soon as the loco was inside, he absolutely let rip, much to the joy of the front coach! Then emerging from the tunnel, it was back to cautious driving until the next when the entertainment was switched on again. OK we arrived about 10 down at Newton Abbot where we bailed for the up midnight. We had about an hour for the up so someone was dispatched to the chippy while the rest of the gang stayed on the platform. In contrast to the storms of Dawlish, it was a clear night just a few miles inland. Around 15 minutes after 50011 had left Newton Abbot, we heard the sounds of a hoover being thrashed. It was the cowboy giving 50011 a good thrashing on the climb out of Totnes. Eventually the up appeared and as with most Saturday nights at the time, it produced a pair - 50034+50045 tonight, routed via Yeovil, Bristol and Badminton through to Paddington. Those were the real days and no disputes about whether Voyagers are better than Pacers ....

Thats a story an a half to share Keith, sounds like a boat load of fun to me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did he? I thought it was a certain forum member who's local station gets the chiltern cats! ;)

oh get over yourself:lol::lol::lol: Joking aside, In fairness I did put, " I think"

Status
Not open for further replies.