• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Largest town never connected to railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Decapod

There's a lot on the internet about the largest town with no station, or no rail connection, but most of these were on the network at one time but the railway closed.

What is more difficult to find is the largest town in mainland Britain that was never connected to the rail network.

Shaftesbury in Dorset never had a rail connection, on account of being a hilltop town, but its population is only 6600. The nearest station is over 4 miles away at Gillingham, and there was another at Semley, also about 4 miles away.

There must be other places that are bigger and further from any railway, past or present.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
An interesting idea. I've seen the question of "largest town without a railway", but the answer is always somewhere that used to have a line. I'm not sure what the answer would be to *never* had one.

Maybe the difficulty is when you argue about suburbs vs towns, or get hung up on whether a station in another "borough" is serving somewhere else too.

Only town in Shropshire never to have had a railway is Clun, though it is very small. A line was proposed to run Craven Arms - Clun - Montgomery, but it would have been unbelievably unprofitable!!

How old do these towns need to be? Because we're probably looking at a new town like Glenrothes, Washington, or Peterlee. Washington has a disused line going through it, but never a station as far as I know. Peterlee has no station, but again the railway passes very close.

I can't think of any sizeable historic towns to have never had a railway.

Leighton Buzzard in Beds has never had a railway, nor a station as technically the station was built in Linslade. But I suppose that is a technicallity as the two places have now merged. And it does have a narrow guage line...so scrap that

sprinterguy

Established Member
How old do these towns need to be? Because we're probably looking at a new town like Glenrothes, Washington, or Peterlee. Washington has a disused line going through it, but never a station as far as I know. Peterlee has no station, but again the railway passes very close.

Washington certainly did once have a station. Peterlee was served by Horden station, given that Horden is closer to the Durham coast line, with Peterlee being further inland.

Washington certainly did once have a station. Peterlee was served by Horden station, given that Horden is closer to the Durham coast line, with Peterlee being further inland.

Didn't know about Washington having a station. Assumed that Hordon had one, wasn't sure that Peterlee had engulfed the village before it shut in 1964.

I can't think of any sizeable historic towns to have never had a railway.

Leighton Buzzard in Beds has never had a railway, nor a station as technically the station was built in Linslade. But I suppose that is a technicallity as the two places have now merged. And it does have a narrow guage line...so scrap that

You could say/claim the same for Hemel Hempstead as the station is actually at Boxmoor and as for Tring station...it's not exactly handy for the town.

imagination

The only town in mainland Britain without a station that is marked on my 1948 rail atlas is Ullapool, though I doubt there are none over its population of 1300-ish

GodAtum

On Moderation
if the question is whats the largest town to not have a current railway line I would say Bude in Cornwall.

imagination

if the question is whats the largest town to not have a current railway line I would say Bude in Cornwall.

Gosport c. 80000
Newcastle-under-Lyme 73944
Abingdon 36626
Blyth 35818 (though I think it has a goods line?)
Dunstable 33805
Bude 9242

Then technically there's Dudley with 195k or so, but as that has several stations serving it it doesnt really count (even if they are just outside the edge of the town)

Last edited:

Established Member
Blyth 35818 (though I think it has a goods line?)

It sure does have a goods line, and wouldn't cost too much to bring in back into passenger use. Perhaps a few million for HS2 should be earmarked to bring railways back to areas such as these.

stut

Established Member
For 'never connected', Cambourne, in Cambridgeshire, has a population of approximately 8000, due to grow to 10000 by completion of construction.

NSE

Established Member
Haha yeah I'd love to see a railway station here in Cambourne mate, make going to college alot easier. I'd envisage a terminus at the end of two spurs from the ECML, just north from St. Neots, and one following the old line through Impington replacing that stupid guided bus way. Two Trains an hour to Kings X.
Sorted.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Both Dunstable and Hawick definitely had stations.
I used to walk along the line near Dunstable though don't recall ever using the station at Hawick - it deserves to be included in the re-opening of the Borders railway which has been talked about for 10 years now but which proceeds at a snails pace.
(Planning a journey between Dunstable and Hawick might have presented some difficulties)

scotsman

Established Member
Stornoway has a population of 9000 (making it slightly larger than Kirkwall, Orkney) and has never had a station, though this seems to be cheating as an answer!

Steornobhagh would have condemned it as the work of the Devil!

I swear they used to carry a cross every time they went into Tesco, when it first opened!

Halsebee

Street in Somerset never had a station. The station, Glastonbury and Street was in Glastonbury, which was and still is a separate town.

Storrington in West Sussex?

4SRKT

Established Member
Has Glenrothes ever been rail connected? Unless you count Markinch it certainly isn't connected today, and as it's a new town I wonder if it ever had station on a now closed line. Thornton with Glenrothes is at Thornton, which is a Kirkcaldy village rather than Glenrothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.