• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least used section of OHLE in the uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
At Leeds, I would suspect that 7 and 14, the two eastbound bay platforms will see even less electric traffic, as the only place to go from there is Neville Hill!

How about the side of the Whitehall triangle where they had the temporary platform, that was wired up specially for that job - does that get used by anything electric now?

There are some electrified sidings north of Wakefield Westgate, do they get any use?

This is true. Using them for electrics would involve rather a large amount of shunting! Maybe they will see more electric use once the Leeds - York line is wired.

I know which sidings you mean, and I think I have occasionally seen freight wagons in there, so there is a chance they could get brought in/out by an electric. Normal use for the sidings is for a Northern unit to "shuffle" (they don't go very far in) into to wait working the Huddersfield service. Of course, those are all diesel

paulb1973

That is true about rugby,but how about the Coventry to Bedworth line and Coventry to Leamington lines-both have a bit of ohle for a few hundred yards on their various sections out of the station. Also the section between stechford and Aston over in Birmingham as far as I know no passenger services use that bit of line.

I may stand to be corrected - but I think LM still stable Class 350 units (at the weekends) at Coventry using Quinton Rd sidings occasionally on the Leamington line and certainly in the 'North Yard' on the Nuneaton line.

Jonfun

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly-Crewe via Manchester Airport service.

I think he probably means the line between Heald Green North Jcn and Heald Green South Jcn, which it's correct to say doesn't see a regular electric passenger service. You occasionally see it used if Virgin divert via Styal rather than the normal route through Stockport though.

Whistler40145

Established Member
My mistake, that's exactly what I meant.

How about the two curves from Gresty Lane Jn?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pumbaa

Established Member
I think he probably means the line between Heald Green North Jcn and Heald Green South Jcn, which it's correct to say doesn't see a regular electric passenger service. You occasionally see it used if Virgin divert via Styal rather than the normal route through Stockport though.

Yes it does - the 1940 (1H74) off Euston every weekday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
when was P0 at Haymarket last used by an electric set as I believe it was wired during A to B?

I thought there's commonly a 380 stabled there during the day?

Geeves

Established Member
Farrington Junction south of Preston to just short of Lostock Hall Junction on the Preston Blackburn line cant see many electric trains these days if any at all.

I'm not 100% why they ever ran the wires up that way anyway, though I guess could of reversed the old Leyland plant trains in there when it was open...

While still at Preston there are a couple of sidings beyond the junction on the Blackpool N/S line that are also wired that I imagine haven't seen many electric trains for a while, though that will change soonish!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Its nothing like these other suggestions.
But you don't see an electric train in Platform 4 at Grantham very often.
I remember getting a 225 set in there once.... that had a driver that somehow thought he had the right away before the doors were even closed.

Me and my mother were stuck on the platform wtih our big bags on the train, luckily it only got ten feet before the driver saw the guard waving at him with her paddle/lamp.

Julia

I'll offer St Neots up siding. It can only just be long enough for a 4-car EMU in any case, but in a decade of commuting at all times of day I've only ever seen the occasional track machine, or (once) a crippled Mk3 removed from a HST.

the hydland curve linking anniesland and jordanhill doesn't see any use apart from some ESC movements

mr_moo

The depot can't be driven through, it's a dead end. It isn't connected to the GWML either (according to Quail), although alongside it...

North Pole is indeed not connected to the GWML, although there is a project in place to change this. It's set to become the new depot for the IEP fleet for the GWML, so will have connections installed in the next few years. There's work recently started on site for this.
Speaking of Airport junction, a very short stretch of the GWML fast tracks directly West of Airport junction has wires but no electric services use it. I would guess that it was placed there when the line to Heathrow was built/electrified so that when the GWML is electrified less modification to the junction would be required.

This is over-run protection. It's provided in case an electric train is mis-routed and gives it enough wire to be able to go along and stop. It can then reverse (subject to the usual permissions from the signaller!) and go the right way. This avoids any need to bring in a rescue loco if it were to fall off the ends of the wires.

You'll find these provided at most junctions off electrified routes. The extent of the overrun protection is governed by a range of factors, such as the speeds of trains approaching, the likelihood of a mis-routed train actually following the wrong route (if it's got PRI's it's very unlikely to take the route. If the driver only knows about it when they get to the signal and see the feather it's a lot more likely that they will take the route before stopping), physical constraints, the extent of disruption that rescuing a misrouted train would entail etc etc.

AJP62

Farrington Junction south of Preston to just short of Lostock Hall Junction on the Preston Blackburn line cant see many electric trains these days if any at all.

I'm not 100% why they ever ran the wires up that way anyway, though I guess could of reversed the old Leyland plant trains in there when it was open...

When the WCML was electrified north of Weaver Jct you'd get electrically hauled freights coming north that headed for the Settle and Carlisle so they would change from Elec to Diesel on the triangle. Not something that would happen these days!

IrishDave

The Railway Touring Company's "Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express" has changed from steam to electric (86259) on the Lostock Hall-Farington section quite a few times now - it happened at least twice last year (18th and 25th Feb) and six times this year (Saturdays 2nd Feb-9th March). See, for example, this Saturday's path: http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/U50703/2013-03-09

I don't know quite why it doesn't just reverse in Preston station, but I'm guessing it works better with pathing up the WCML.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Slow lines between Balshaw Lane Junction & Preston North Junction?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Crossover

Established Member
Ahhh, always learning! Is there still a single track section between Alsager and Crewe?

The service has been running for at least a couple of years now. Yep, still got that single track section...can be a bit of a pain if things get delayed

westcoaster

Established Member
I imagine the electrified lines down the fast line side of West Hampstead Thameslink don't get used too often, nor 'Goods 1' and 'Goods 2' in Cricklewood yard.

G1 + G2 actually see a lot of use, R2 is the least used around the depot, the up and down hendon are only used for emergencies or out of course working, I have never deen a train let alone an electric one using west hampstead down loop.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
North Pole is indeed not connected to the GWML, although there is a project in place to change this. It's set to become the new depot for the IEP fleet for the GWML, so will have connections installed in the next few years. There's work recently started on site for this.

This is over-run protection. It's provided in case an electric train is mis-routed and gives it enough wire to be able to go along and stop. It can then reverse (subject to the usual permissions from the signaller!) and go the right way. This avoids any need to bring in a rescue loco if it were to fall off the ends of the wires.

You'll find these provided at most junctions off electrified routes. The extent of the overrun protection is governed by a range of factors, such as the speeds of trains approaching, the likelihood of a mis-routed train actually following the wrong route (if it's got PRI's it's very unlikely to take the route. If the driver only knows about it when they get to the signal and see the feather it's a lot more likely that they will take the route before stopping), physical constraints, the extent of disruption that rescuing a misrouted train would entail etc etc.

That is very interesting, and in most cases i see this situation. But one example, Armley junc, where the Aidale/Wharfdale and Harrogate lines seperate, the wires do not continue down the Harrogate line at all, and the units must be hitting 40 over the junction. Or is the junction indicator far back so a driver would realise? (not neccesarily a Q for you but anyone who knows the area)

Liam

Established Member
Is platform 0 at Haymarket wired? In fact does anything electric use Platform 1 or 2 on a regular basis?

When was the last time platform 0 was used by anything? I remember seeing a Class 185 being internally cleaned there a few years ago.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Is platform 0 at Haymarket wired? In fact does anything electric use Platform 1 or 2 on a regular basis?

When was the last time platform 0 was used by anything? I remember seeing a Class 185 being internally cleaned there a few years ago.

This was discussed earlier in the thread i believe it is wired and that a 380 stables in there all day.

furryfeet

How much, if any electrically hauled traffic goes in and out of Millerhill yard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.