• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Least used section of OHLE in the uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

class303

Whilst travelling on a diverted EMU from Stratford to Seven sisters via south tottenham last night, it got me thinking. South tottenham has OHLE but i reckon only 1 electric train a week uses it, and only in one direction (sat only 5.31 Liverpool street to Enfield town). does any electric freight pass the station?

Are there many other electrification white elephants? for instance, when was the last time St Pancras MML platforms saw an electric train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
You need some redundancy in the network to allow for diversions, especially at short notice. Much better to divert trains via South Tottenham or into St Pancras MML during disruption than terminate services short and force people to use the local buses.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
St Pancras MML platform's electrification was used the last time the Thameslink service fell apart :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Further to NSEFAN's point, I'm certain that over the past couple of years some FCC EMUs have used St Pancras MML platforms when the TL station has been closed because of the ongoing engineering works. It required some tight turnarounds and fiddling, but it's been done a good few times.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hazel grove stockport cant be used often??? Oxford road to trafford park not too often. Hell the ECML north of newcastle isnt used heavily!!!!

O L Leigh

Established Member
Has anything ever used the wires at Nuneaton from the flyover down through P6/7 and out towards Leicester...? These were apparently provided to permit electric trains to terminate and be turned back, but they cannot now accommodate an 11 car Cl390 and may have never even seen an electric train at all.

O L Leigh

tbtc

Veteran Member
Good idea for a thread - there are some lines that I've seen people suggest are electrified "for diversionary purposes" that have no current passenger service.

Can't think of any great examples not already listed though - dunno about some of the diversionary lines around Birmingham though.

Hazel grove stockport cant be used often???

Hazel Grove is a great example of the poor relationship between infrastructure and train operation in the UK - it's the railway equivalent of the council spending thousands on an upgraded bus shelter and then finding the bus company withdraws the only commercial route serving it.

Oxford road to trafford park not too often

The Trafford Park line does get a good EMU service as far as Old Trafford on Manchester United match days at least, but that's only a couple of dozen times a year.

There is regularly a 323 in the siding opposite Old Trafford at the electrification limits, stabled through part of the early evening peak. So probably near daily use, even if not for passengers.

North Pole depot?

I agree! When did then last train of any description use that depot? Even if just to drive through?

If you consider the number of trains that pass between Paddington & Airport Junction (including FGW services etc), that electrified portion of line can't see that much use as a percentage diesel v electric services compared with other lines.

pemma

Veteran Member
There is regularly a 323 in the siding opposite Old Trafford at the electrification limits, stabled through part of the early evening peak. So probably near daily use, even if not for passengers.

That'll be the unit for the evening peak Deansgate to Stoke service. I understand that service was written in to the timetable so the crews retain knowledge of the shunt around required for EMUs which start/terminate at Deansgate.

cmovcc

Stansted Airport north curve? only diesels use it in regular service

EM2

Established Member
Further to NSEFAN's point, I'm certain that over the past couple of years some FCC EMUs have used St Pancras MML platforms when the TL station has been closed because of the ongoing engineering works. It required some tight turnarounds and fiddling, but it's been done a good few times.
For some time, the first two FCC departures on Sunday mornings have used platform 1.

Tom C

Hitchin Up Yard has one wired road which has no booked traffic. Its only used for emergency stabling or turnbacks in the events of disruption.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Platform 17 at Leeds must be a contender.

I think I've seen a bin in there once in the six or so years I've been using it regularly.

pemma

Veteran Member
Hazel Grove is a great example of the poor relationship between infrastructure and train operation in the UK - it's the railway equivalent of the council spending thousands on an upgraded bus shelter and then finding the bus company withdraws the only commercial route serving it.

It's only 3 extra miles of OHE which saw 27 years of regular use before the Hazel Grove-Preston service was introduced in 2008, so if those overheads hadn't paid for themselves by 2008 then they probably never would.

Statto

Established Member
The route through Earlstown & Newton Le Willows just off the WCML although more EMUs ecc will use that when Chat Moss gets wired.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I agree! When did then last train of any description use that depot? Even if just to drive through?

The depot can't be driven through, it's a dead end. It isn't connected to the GWML either (according to Quail), although alongside it...

SGS

There can't be many electric services that use the slow lines between York and Northallerton.

There's also a siding near Northallerton which is electrified; I sometimes see a track machine in it, but sadly never an electric loco.

Crossover

Established Member
Platform 17 at Leeds must be a contender.

I think I've seen a bin in there once in the six or so years I've been using it regularly.

At that, I bet 13 (that's the one Northern via Dewsbury services terminate in isn't it), 15 and 16 don't see much electric action either!

Also the line between Ulleskelf and Colton Junction can't see much use, either (unless the signaller has made a muck up :P)

philjo

Established Member
Hitchin Up Yard has one wired road which has no booked traffic. Its only used for emergency stabling or turnbacks in the events of disruption.
Though it has been used quite a lot recently. FCC had stock in there when the OHLE was down at St Neots.
the 08:39 weekday service that starts at Hitchin used to come out of the siding but I think it currently turns back at Biggleswade.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
All the bay platforms at Newcastle are unused by electric trains aren't they?

Then there's that coal yard siding at Alnmouth IIRC...

Aictos

Established Member
Though it has been used quite a lot recently. FCC had stock in there when the OHLE was down at St Neots.
the 08:39 weekday service that starts at Hitchin used to come out of the siding but I think it currently turns back at Biggleswade.

It was used to stable a pair of 313s over the weekend, they ran ECS from Hitchin Up Yard to Welwyn Garden City yesterday morning to form a service, this would have been between 5am and 6am.

Tom C

Two 365's were put in there for there to start up the morning service at Biggleswade, the last two trains to Peterborough are 317's which were put into Letchworth.

The 08:39 does indeed go forward to Biggleswade.

It was used to stable a pair of 313s over the weekend, they ran ECS from Hitchin Up Yard to Welwyn Garden City yesterday morning to form a service, this would have been between 5am and 6am

This was due to a block between Letchworth and Hitchin stopping stock stabling in Letchworth Yard so the up yard was used. Hertford yard was used for the same reason, again no stock is stabled overnight at Hertford except for emergencies or blocks.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I imagine the electrified lines down the fast line side of West Hampstead Thameslink don't get used too often, nor 'Goods 1' and 'Goods 2' in Cricklewood yard.

Robinson

Carstairs-Haymarket had very little electric traction until the timetable change; it currently has a 2-hourly Glasgow-Central-Edinburgh Waverley 380 plus a few Pendolinos per day.

Think there's an AC-electrified road down the S&C turnoff just south of Carlisle.

Barking-Stratford OHLE is only used infrequently by electric services; most of the day it's 172s on the GOBLIN (which turn off just after Woodgrange Park).

Be3G

Established Member
South tottenham has OHLE but i reckon only 1 electric train a week uses it, and only in one direction (sat only 5.31 Liverpool street to Enfield town).

It's maybe worth noting that the Seven Sisters to Stratford via South Tottenham journey used to have a once-a-weekday service until about 2005; at the time it was the only passenger service that used the Lee Valley line down in to Stratford. It started somewhere like Cheshunt (or possibly further north), then travelled to Stratford via the Southbury loop and South Tottenham, and I think it ran just as the morning peak was ending. I caught it once as it was conveniently timed to get me to a university interview!

Nevertheless, when regular services to Stratford via Tottenham Hale began, they ceased running that daily service via South Tottenham and instated the once-a-week parliamentary early Saturday mornings, which until reasonably recently also ran via Stratford.

Whistler40145

Established Member
How about the following lines:-

Bamfurlong Goods lines that dive under the WCML
Acton Grange Jn to Warrington Bank Quay via Walton Old Jn
Carnforth South Jn to Carnforth (Furness line)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.