• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station concourse and platform improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradders1983

Are the Virgin trains at Leeds able to use other platforms other than 6 and 8?

Never known them use any others. Maybe the new platform is so that Aire Valley services can use it and Virgin can then use a bay platform rather than clogging up the through platform 8 half the time?

Just thinking out loud.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Never known them use any others. Maybe the new platform is so that Aire Valley services can use it and Virgin can then use a bay platform rather than clogging up the through platform 8 half the time?

Just thinking out loud.

Those two are the most used by London trains, presumably because they're nearest the barriers. The evening Down Bradford and Skipton services tend to use lower numbered bays in the former "Wellington" section of the station. 6 is a bay anyway. The 373s often used 8 as it is just about long enough to hold one- none of the others were.

Last edited:

bradders1983

I just think its a waste of a through platform. Although I guess if it was an issue, London trains would be using bay platforms all of the time...

lejog

Established Member
Any more info on this new Platform 0? When will it open? How long will it be? Does it need to be in place ahead of certain service enhancements planned by Northern?

Perhaps it will be a dedicated platform for the daily steam and heritage diesel services to Carlisle? (Wishful thinking)

IIRC, Platform 0 is needed for increasing the Harrogate services from 2tph to 4tph, which is indeed still going ahead in December.

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
I saw a TransPenine parked up on Platform 2 the other day which surprised me!

xotGD

Established Member

Just thinking out loud.

I've come in to Platform 1 on an East Coast Service in the past. A terminator, not the Harrogate.

Grumpy

IIRC, Platform 0 is needed for increasing the Harrogate services from 2tph to 4tph, which is indeed still going ahead in December.

There's currently a basic service of 2 trains/hour to Harrogate, 2 Ilkley and approx. 5 to Shipley. That totals 9/hour for which platforms 1-5 are essentially free. You hardly need another platform for 2 additional Harrogates. You could turn patforms 1&2 into car parking and the others would still be underused.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Just thinking out loud.

They certainly can, and I've known them to use others.

Incidentally, platform 1 (formerly platform W a few years ago) was extended to take London trains before the 2000 rebuild.

lejog

Established Member
There's currently a basic service of 2 trains/hour to Harrogate, 2 Ilkley and approx. 5 to Shipley. That totals 9/hour for which platforms 1-5 are essentially free. You hardly need another platform for 2 additional Harrogates. You could turn patforms 1&2 into car parking and the others would still be underused.

Well the Harrogate services are the only planned additions for this year, although Skipton services will be lengthened to 6*23m at a later date and VTEC may make more use of the bays when their new services are introduced. While the current CP5 delivery plan does not include any details of the Leeds capacity upgrade activity, other than its existence, earlier documents were more specific.
Overarching CP5 Plan

Additional platform capacity at Leeds Station. Options being developed include:
  • increasing capacity in low-numbered platforms 1-5;
  • increasing the operational length of platform 17;
  • creation of an additional through platform through joining platforms 13 and 14.
  • A programme of platform extensions......

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
Platforms 0 and 1 could become dedicated East Coast platforms without conflicting with any other traffic on the west end of Leeds station by building a flyover, from end of the disused but still extant former embankment to Leeds Central station, over lines ABCD curving down to the station throat. If NR is quick, there is still land available where Doncaster Bridge factory used to be. Onward working to Harrogate, Skipton and Bradford FS would also be able to depart without conflicting moves from this side of the station.

Saint66

Somewhat related.. New Station Street will shut until June from this week for the final phase of the re-clad of the 'Platform' building above the station.

lejog

Established Member
I saw a TransPenine parked up on Platform 2 the other day which surprised me!

A couple of years ago I caught a train for Hebden Bridge from Platform 1 (the last train was often a convoy of Pacers that had collected there), the next day it was a York-Blackpool service from platform 16.

I'm pretty sure I've never had to catch a Calder Valley service from platform 17 (yet). Or platform 8 come to that.

bradford758

They certainly can, and I've known them to use others.

Incidentally, platform 1 (formerly platform W a few years ago) was extended to take London trains before the 2000 rebuild.
Platform W was primarily built to allow extra East Coast trains to run.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Platform W was primarily built to allow extra East Coast trains to run.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

I believe it was used as a parcels platform for many years before the extension, and before that part of the old Wellington street station (its Midland Railway platform canopy is a notable survivor from the past.

class 9

Platforms 0 and 1 could become dedicated East Coast platforms without conflicting with any other traffic on the west end of Leeds station by building a flyover, from end of the disused but still extant former embankment to Leeds Central station, over lines ABCD curving down to the station throat. If NR is quick, there is still land available where Doncaster Bridge factory used to be. Onward working to Harrogate, Skipton and Bradford FS would also be able to depart without conflicting moves from this side of the station.

Not feasible, not enough room to build an embankment to raise the lines up and over.

Metroman62

The new Virgin ticket machine area has 'opened'

Have to say I'm quite impressed at what they've done!

10 card only TVMs in the photo

3 cash and card TVMs to the left

1 card only TVM to the right (Out of service at the moment, perhaps this one will be a collection only one)

Used it at the weekend. Seems brighter although perhaps a bit cramped. The office by the first class lounge has gone, so I am not sure where you go now if you have a problem / question. Also you could just go into the first class lounge without being checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bantamzen

Established Member

Just thinking out loud.

Just last week I saw a VTEC leaving for London mid-afternoon from P1, so that at least can be used. I suspect however that most of the other bay platforms are not longer enough for either HST or 91 sets, so the only other possible usable platforms might be 9,11 & 12. Of course for terminating services, the bays are probably a better choice as there is often a bottleneck with through services when a VTEC is sitting at P8 for up to half and hour or more.

Sceptre

Well the Harrogate services are the only planned additions for this year, although Skipton services will be lengthened to 6*23m at a later date and VTEC may make more use of the bays when their new services are introduced. While the current CP5 delivery plan does not include any details of the Leeds capacity upgrade activity, other than its existence, earlier documents were more specific.
Overarching CP5 Plan

I imagine the 13-14 joining up needs to happen sooner or later to give capacity for "HS3" anyway; I think it's in at least one of the Yorkshire Hub proposals?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I imagine the 13-14 joining up needs to happen sooner or later to give capacity for "HS3" anyway; I think it's in at least one of the Yorkshire Hub proposals?

13 already seems pretty well used by terminating locals, so I'm not convinced you'd gain much as you won't be creating new bay platforms on that side for terminating trains.

Andyh82

Established Member
Regarding the new VTEC ticket area, I know Leeds is a network rail station but do certain operators operate certain areas, as it's odd to me how VTEC can completely rebuild one area, then Northern will have another area fully branded area, yet certain parts of the station (like the info desk on the bridge) are Network Rail branded

Just thinking out loud.
If you are in the station on an evening the incoming VTEC's can come in on a range of platforms as you start to see a few stacking up. I expect the same happens first thing in the morning too.

Its debatable if you need more through platforms, as you only have one route leading east, and 3 sets of through platforms already.

noddingdonkey

Plus Neville Hill depot out to the East, so many sets starting or ending their diagrams will need to use a through platform rather than a bay.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Both East facing bays are underused at Leeds, as very few services start there and head in that direction. The 6 through platforms should be adequate, as through platforms are generally not occupied for as long. The issue is West facing bays as so many local services reverse from and head back out that way. The long-delayed East Leeds Parkway would be a better solution than "rearranging the furniture" at Leeds City, especially once the wires are up. In addition, reinstating tracks and wires to the Holbeck viaduct would allow Doncaster to Leeds services to avoid the congested throat en-route to the Parkway.

xotGD

Established Member
Both East facing bays are underused at Leeds, as very few services start there and head in that direction. The 6 through platforms should be adequate, as through platforms are generally not occupied for as long. The issue is West facing bays as so many local services reverse from and head back out that way. The long-delayed East Leeds Parkway would be a better solution than "rearranging the furniture" at Leeds City, especially once the wires are up. In addition, reinstating tracks and wires to the Holbeck viaduct would allow Doncaster to Leeds services to avoid the congested throat en-route to the Parkway.

I thought that the idea was to reinstate the viaduct for the use of trans-Pennine services, rather than Doncaster line services?

brompton rail

I thought that the idea was to reinstate the viaduct for the use of trans-Pennine services, rather than Doncaster line services?

That would make more sense as TPE services use the south side of Leeds station (platforms 15 & 16 in particular) thus making access to the viaduct easier.

As there is only an hourly EMU service Doncaster to Leeds stopper, plus a similar DMU service to Sheffield they shouldn't cause a big problem. Once electrification is extended eastwards the Doncaster EMUs are likely to continue to Micklefield, Selby or York, rather than terminate in Leeds. However the amount of platform time saved would be very little since they currently stand for only 7 minutes (xx.14 to xx.21) in platform 13. Their longer layover is about 20 minutes in platform 6 at Doncaster where they don't contribute to congestion.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Indeed, once the wires are up and a East Leeds Parkway / Micklefield turnback is decided upon, Aire and Wharfe services could run straight through and maybe even make a case for a Leeds City East halt?

In the meantime, New Station Street is now shut to buses until June. I presume this is in part for the finishing works for the rebranded "Platform" (ex City House), but wasn't part of this a refurbishment of the main concourse and roof of Leeds City? Does anyone know if this is still going ahead, hence the road blockade?

Sceptre

Indeed, once the wires are up and a East Leeds Parkway / Micklefield turnback is decided upon, Aire and Wharfe services could run straight through and maybe even make a case for a Leeds City East halt?

In the meantime, New Station Street is now shut to buses until June. I presume this is in part for the finishing works for the rebranded "Platform" (ex City House), but wasn't part of this a refurbishment of the main concourse and roof of Leeds City? Does anyone know if this is still going ahead, hence the road blockade?

Atkins have a contract for the station remodelling to prepare it for HS2, which includes improvements to the northern concourse taking place over the next five or six years.

lejog

Established Member

They could, although it would cause a few extra conflicts with VTEC trains. The reason for the Micklefield turnback originally being in the CP5 plan was specifically to increase capacity by running 2 Calder Valley - Micklefield tph, but that plan seems to have been dropped, instead running 6*23m trains and terminating the extra service from Victoria at Bradford Interchange.

Hopefully any future capacity improvements will allow all Calder Valley services to run through to Leeds, if platform 0 is being built there is already extra capacity being added for Aire/Wharfe/Harrogate services.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.