• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station concourse and platform improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich r

I've got used to just waving my mobile phone at the barrier staff and they just let me through (at both the main and the south entrances). One more than one occasion it wasn't even showing the ticket, but Facebook or something else!

One day the scanners will be working I guess...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sceptre

Apparently, they're turning on the scanners at the northern gateline slowly over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully.

The southern gateline scanners already work.

rich r

The southern gateline scanners already work.

Only some of the time in my experience. In the last week I think I've only seen the red glow on the scanner windows on two days.

It's possible that the barrier staff are choosing to just let people through at peak time rather than having them stop to hold their phones or printed QR code ticket against the scanner in order to keep things flowing.

I'm sure they'll get the problems resolved though as it's a good alternative to having paper tickets for many people.

xotGD

Established Member
Twice in the past week I have legitimately broken my journey at Leeds to pop to the shops and the barrier has rejected my ticket when I tried to return to the platform.

Previous twice, I had no problem.

Sceptre

The northern gateline also has working scanners now; I'm not sure if they're all on, but certainly most of them are.

Makes my journey easier, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johntea

Established Member
Tried them today

They still 'reject passback' if you pop out for a coffee and back though which is annoying, surely the barriers can tell the difference between tapping 'out' of the barriers and then back 'in' (they can for MCards!)

rich r

The scanners at the southern entrance have scanned my phone successfully on several occasions now, so I guess the earlier gremlins have been sorted out.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The new ticket machines give out tickets with those torn untidy edges unfortunately.

kevconnor

Tried them today

They still 'reject passback' if you pop out for a coffee and back though which is annoying, surely the barriers can tell the difference between tapping 'out' of the barriers and then back 'in' (they can for MCards!)

A few different ones I know of do this, Birmingham New Street and Birmingham International do it last time I tried to pass back through the gate line last year.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Last Friday, the Leeds scanner barriers let me out but wouldn't let me back in again 10 minutes later, so I had to wait for the attendant to let me through. I was using a West Yorkshire train Day Rover, which you'd have thought that the barriers would be programmed to recognise properly.

xotGD

Established Member
I had a "Reject Passback" at the southern entrance this morning when I popped out to collect some tickets from the machine. Is there a minimum time you need to stay outside the barriers until it will let you back on, as other times it has been OK when I have returned after 15-20 minutes. In any case, this needs to be sorted out.

xotGD

Established Member
There have been signs warning of wet paint on Platform 17 for the past 3 weeks or so. Do painters never come back to take them down?

rich r

I can confirm that there was indeed wet paint in that area this morning. Going down the escalators in the south entrance was quite a fume filled experience.

numero uno

Last Friday, the Leeds scanner barriers let me out but wouldn't let me back in again 10 minutes later, so I had to wait for the attendant to let me through. I was using a West Yorkshire train Day Rover, which you'd have thought that the barriers would be programmed to recognise properly.

I had this issue and asked the attendant why. Turns out the mobile tickets work fine when you are leaving the station but due to a software issue they return ticket won't work when you try to go back into the station.

deltic08

On Moderation
I am pleased to announce that you will not have any problems with scanners at the southern entrance in future as the entrance is being closed from 22.00 hrs on Sunday indefinitely.

BMIFlyer

I am pleased to announce that you will not have any problems with scanners at the southern entrance in future as the entrance is being closed from 22.00 hrs on Sunday indefinitely.

Source?

I just spoke to the station manager at Leeds and I was told this is not happening.

BMIFlyer

I don't understand.

When did that entrance start opening after 2200 on any day of the week???

Some confusion here??

Deltic08 stated that the south entrance was closing indefinitely from 2200 on Sunday. Indefinitely to me means after 2200 on Sunday it's closed for good.

The barriers already close from 2200 every day, I am well aware of that....

xotGD

Established Member
Why on earth would the Leeds southern entrance close after £££ was spent on it, and it is used by large numbers of passengers every day?????

Fake news???

johntea

Established Member
The station Wetherspoons seems to have planning permission in place for some sort of roof terrace food hoist, so presumably they'll be offering roof top dining at some point?

TUC

Established Member
Some confusion here??

Deltic08 stated that the south entrance was closing indefinitely from 2200 on Sunday. Indefinitely to me means after 2200 on Sunday it's closed for good.

The barriers already close from 2200 every day, I am well aware of that....

Why do they close rather than be left open? Barriers are usually left open when unstaffed aren't they?

johntea

Established Member
The telephones have been removed from next to Wetherspoons, probably were getting as much use as a phone box I guess.

Not sure how you would actually be able to have a conversation using them anyway with the continuous background noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.