• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds/York to Homerton Hospital - Take 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railman10

Train was delayed leaving Kings X (anyone know why?) At platform level, the train wasn't announced, even up until departure. My question is, however, the train is delayed by 11 minutes at present. Once I get to Leeds that's going to not put me in good stead to catch the X99 back to Wetherby. Where do I stand with this? Are VTEC obliged to get me home as there would have been a good 20 minutes for me to get my bus? What happens? This is my last bus home too :( Running is not an option - walking is barely an option right now!
I hope this helps and isn't too late.
See the 'Train Manager' and ask him/her. Last Monday, at Newark, a taxi was provided for a passenger going to Beverley when the train was terminated by the 'wires down' incident. Don't accept anything other than a promise to get you home - by taxi if necessary. I think after this week, Virgin will be desperate to keep passengers happy!
From the National Conditions of Carriage: [Rail companies must]....' Provide or reimburse you for the reasonable cost of overnight accommodation, if
delays within the rail industry’s control mean that you cannot complete your rail journey that day.'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
It appears the incoming train (1625 Newcastle to Kings Cross 1943) arrived 13 late at 1956, due to a delay in the Sandy area. This presumably is why the 2005 Kings Cross to Leeds in turn left 11 late.

Darandio

Established Member
From the National Conditions of Carriage: [Rail companies must]....' Provide or reimburse you for the reasonable cost of overnight accommodation, if
delays within the rail industry’s control mean that you cannot complete your rail journey that day.'

But they can complete their rail journey, your advice is effectively irrelevant.

They can ask of course, but there is absolutely no obligation here other than to get the passenger to Leeds.

cf111

Established Member
I hope this helps and isn't too late.
See the 'Train Manager' and ask him/her. Last Monday, at Newark, a taxi was provided for a passenger going to Beverley when the train was terminated by the 'wires down' incident. Don't accept anything other than a promise to get you home - by taxi if necessary. I think after this week, Virgin will be desperate to keep passengers happy!

Unfortunely the important part is "...you cannot complete your rail journey that day."

I would still ask the guard to see if they are able to help, if you don't ask you don't get

Railman10

But they can complete their rail journey, your advice is effectively irrelevant.

They can ask of course, but there is absolutely no obligation here other than to get the passenger to Leeds.

Sorry, forgot to add that point! He needs to press Virgin for assistance. Best of luck, I say!

MichaelWells

I was delayed by two hours on a VTEC service last year missing the last bus to my home by literally minutes. VTEC provided a taxi for me to get home free of charge

waterboo

Although, at this very moment of time it would perhaps be very unreasonable to say, I would be very intrigued if you would let us know how you managed to get home.

Other than that, Best of Luck!!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
When I've just looked, the train is showing as arriving at 22.28. The X99 leaves Infirmary Street at 22.45 and that looks like enough time to catch it.

Bayum

Established Member
When I've just looked, the train is showing as arriving at 22.28. The X99 leaves Infirmary Street at 22.45 and that looks like enough time to catch it.

As I say, on a good day that would be more than adequate. Add a couple bags of luggage, swollen joints and inflamed tendons you're adding a good five minutes on to the journey. I've checked realtime and I can see that there's underpins amounts of lag added to the timetable, but I can't risk not doing anything or beginning to formulate an action plan.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I was delayed by two hours on a VTEC service last year missing the last bus to my home by literally minutes. VTEC provided a taxi for me to get home free of charge

There is a huge difference between a 2 hour delay and a 7 minute delay. It could be argued that it is rather irresponsible of the OP to put themselves in this position.

Zoidberg

Established Member
There is a huge difference between a 2 hour delay and a 7 minute delay. It could be argued that it is rather irresponsible of the OP to put themselves in this position.

Perhaps they had no option but to use the train they are on and rely on it being on time.

Bayum

Established Member

And I get that. But actually, I could have been in hospital for longer than I was depending on findings and pathology results so post-6pm was the only option. Travelling from Homerton to Kings X in an hour is not feasible when pressed, but 25 minutes for a usual ten minute walk from Leeds is, I'd say, reasonable. More than, in fact. If you looked at my past history, you'd know that I've been checking out whether the train has been arriving any earlier or later than the booked arrival time as part of my foreplanning. You could argue that I've left a precarious situation, but on the balance of probabilities, the chance of me missing the bus was very small when you consider the track record of the train in the past few weeks when there have been no extreme delays due to fires, signalling or wire downs.

Bayum

Established Member
And actually, I don't find those comments helpful in the slightest. Do you really think I'm bothered what you think of my planning at this very moment? Or is it just another opportunity for someone to make a dig at someone else?

Darandio

Established Member
And actually, I don't find those comments helpful in the slightest. Do you really think I'm bothered what you think of my planning at this very moment? Or is it just another opportunity for someone to make a dig at someone else?

Which ones? :-?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Looks like you'll be about 10-20 late at Leeds.

An Uber is probably the most cost efficient option now. About £30. Ask Virgin by all means for a taxi but they have no obligation to get you home - only to Leeds railway station.

Bayum

Established Member
Which ones? :-?

The one immediately preceding that same post, and the third after my post. Everyone else has been extremely helpful, even if they're telling me not what I want to hear. I guess bad news comes in 3s!

johntea

Established Member
If all else fails get an Uber, if you're a first time user VCUK15 for £15 off first ride...

TUC

Established Member
Unfortunely the important part is "...you cannot complete your rail journey that day."

I would still ask the guard to see if they are able to help, if you don't ask you don't get

Completing 'your rail journey'"is not the same as 'completing your journey on VTEC', so it does cover whatever parts of it are on rail.

Lrd

Established Member
Could you not try and get a taxi to meet the bus somewhere further on the route?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
This is exactly one of the scenarios under the Consumer Rights Act that is going to need a test court case.

Really?
Your contract with the rail company is to get you from station to station, and no further than that. The part after the station is nothing to do with them.

waterboo

Really?
Your contract with the rail company is to get you from station to station, and no further than that. The part after the station is nothing to do with them.

I have to agree with this,
If we was to look at the situation vice versa, that is you are taking the bus or taxi to get to a train or a flight, you would not expect compensation if your road transport was to be held in traffic or delayed to the extent that you miss your connecting flight/train.

BestWestern

Established Member
Really?

The issue is perhaps more around the 'product' involving an expectation of being delivered to a destination at a certain time - how bigger part of the product does the published timetable form. Is it reasonable to suggest that a person has chosen the rail product on the basis of the timetable, and if that timetable isn't honoured are they entitled to claim that the product was not 'as described', if you like.

A vague (and poor, admittedly!) analogy might be if you bought a car on the basis of a statement that it had covered 10,000 miles but then went to collect it and found it had done 40,000 miles. If you plan a journey by train because the timetable says you'll get there by X time, but you roll up 30 minutes late and can no longer complete the day's plans, the journey is effectively worth a lot less to you. The railway of course covers itself by offering lots of clauses and get-outs in various documents, but the question is whether they should trump consumer law. I would suggest that answer is likely to be 'no', particularly as drawing attention to the contractural minutae is not promoted and doesn't form a normal part of the transaction.

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
Did you manage to get home them? :(

I hope you did. It just gets on my nerves when things out of my control gets in the way to hamper the day, like a train delay, but that's life, I suppose. It makes me wish I was living near London.

Was it possible for you to get an earlier train?

Would you be able to get a taxi instead?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I hope the OP was able to sort their journey by one means or another out at reasonable comfort and expense to themselves, and that their hospital visit yielded the best results it might have. I have not looked into it in detail, and I guess there would be no point me doing so at this late hour, but I think there would be a bus part-way (Roundhay Park? Weeton?) and a pre-ordered taxi from there to your front door to keep costs down and not leave you stranded.

You could also write to the bus company and / or some Leeds Councillors and your MP to raise the issue of a later evening Leeds to Wetherby service, so you will have a bit more contingency in future. I wouldn't hold my breath on that front though.

Some people in this thread have displayed a disappointing absence of both empathy and compassion. I suppose this forum is conventionally poor at delivering either of these but you really ought to either make a bit more effort to understand the difficulty someone else might be in and adopt an appropriate tone. If that's not going to be possible, far better not to contribute.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

Established Member
The issue is perhaps more around the 'product' involving an expectation of being delivered to a destination at a certain time - how bigger part of the product does the published timetable form. Is it reasonable to suggest that a person has chosen the rail product on the basis of the timetable, and if that timetable isn't honoured are they entitled to claim that the product was not 'as described', if you like.

A vague (and poor, admittedly!) analogy might be if you bought a car on the basis of a statement that it had covered 10,000 miles but then went to collect it and found it had done 40,000 miles. If you plan a journey by train because the timetable says you'll get there by X time, but you roll up 30 minutes late and can no longer complete the day's plans, the journey is effectively worth a lot less to you. The railway of course covers itself by offering lots of clauses and get-outs in various documents, but the question is whether they should trump consumer law. I would suggest that answer is likely to be 'no', particularly as drawing attention to the contractural minutae is not promoted and doesn't form a normal part of the transaction.

I like these words, a lot!

najaB

Veteran Member
The issue is perhaps more around the 'product' involving an expectation of being delivered to a destination at a certain time - how bigger part of the product does the published timetable form....
I can see that being the basis of getting a refund, but I can't see a TOC being responsible for a taxi beyond the destination of the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.