• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level crossing incident: what an idiot !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
The Idle Working Men's Club is also beautifully named.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There's no need for sarcasm. I said I didn't condone it in my post, but you didn't read it did you? Either that or you ignored it so that you could dazzle us all with your rapier-like Wildean wit.

I prefer bludgeon like wit!

Not having a go at you and I did read all of your post. I was having a go at the driver who couldn’t be ars*d to wait five minutes for the train to go past.

IanD

Established Member
What if he was driving from Eastburn towards Skipton? Or coming from the Colne direction towards Keighley/Bradford and actually obeying the road signs? If everyone drove over the bridge in Cross Hills on Station Road rather than took the level crossing on the A6068 then there would be gridlock.

I didn't say everyone had to avoid the level crossing, just suggested that this bloke could have if he was in such a hurry that he couldn't afford to wait 5 minutes.

However, it's clear that he's not one to obey the road signs whichever direction he came from!

Yew

Established Member
In lincolnshire some of the crossings have red-Light cameras. Obviously people are more afraid of a £60 fine than being hit by a train...

bluenoxid

Established Member

No Kildwick. Crosshills is half a mile away.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What if he was driving from Eastburn towards Skipton? Or coming from the Colne direction towards Keighley/Bradford and actually obeying the road signs? If everyone drove over the bridge in Cross Hills on Station Road rather than took the level crossing on the A6068 then there would be gridlock.

The 'mistake' in the past was developing the level crossing as the main A road once the A629 Airedale Trunk road was opened, rather than the bridge. I guess this was to do with loadings on the [fairly tight] bridge. At the time this was done the train service was much less frequent of course.

I remember 37 minutes being quoted once for an hour on that crossing.

There were no mistakes made when the crossing remained. It was a small access road to a couple of backwater villages, a slow road to Lancashire through a few villages through to Lancashire. The new M650 or the A56 Bypass to Skipton would have taken the load. Sadly (for road users), it all ended at Crossflatts and Kildwick.

We are now left with roads that are not the best to be honest but once you learn them and the characteristics, they are alright (until Mable decides she wants to do 35mph)

I believe a certain driver has a camera fitted to his car and puts the best clips on Youtube.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
There is a video on YouTube, which to me makes what the driver did look even worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqqk8WYHYuk

What a complete and utter bunch of tools!

Not only do they run the lights and get stuck between the barriers (which had they realised quick enough, they could have got out of via the still remaining open barrier on the exit side) but I swear chickens would have made a better escape from the level crossing than them who looked like lost sheep!

BestWestern

Established Member
It is truly frightening that specimens of such patently stifled intelligence and wit are allowed to drive on a public road. I would imagine the embarrassment the driver suffered would be equally punishing as any penalty handed down by a Court.

monty9120

from looking at the film it doesnt look real. comical in fact

does anyone know if he was charged to repair the crossing?

BestWestern

Established Member
from looking at the film it doesnt look real. comical in fact

does anyone know if he was charged to repair the crossing?

I very much doubt it :roll: Ideally, it would be a heavy fine for the motoring offence, plus damages to NR for the expense of crossing repairs including personnel required to attend the scene, and reimbursement for the delay attribution costs which would have been attributed to NR for the incident. If he can't afford it then seize his assets, failing that lock him up.

Back in the sad reality that is Britain today, he probably drove home from Court :roll:

IanD

Established Member
Yes Crosshills

No Kildwick. Crosshills is half a mile away.

It's Kildwick level crossing in Crosshills. Kildwick is just as far away. The T&A keep changing their text so can't make their mind up either.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....evel_crossing_as_dad_jumps_red_light___VIDEO/

Looks like he was heading towards Crosshills/Keighley/Bradford so should have used the Aire Valley road. Maybe he'd seen the tailback behind Mabel.

Established Member
Didn't see the full video until now - so if running a red light isn't bad enough, the person drove through the barrier and then left the scene of an accident.

I'd love to see the car impounded and crushed, but I bet even without a car or licence they will still be driving around somehow.

12CSVT

Established Member
drivers like him should never be allowed on the roads again!

Drivers like him should never be allowed out of prison again.

If his passengers hadn't been able to move so quick he'd probably be facing multiple murder / manslaughter charges.

jon0844

Veteran Member
But they suspended the sentence anyway - so he's not only not being let out, he hasn't been let in!!

BestWestern

Established Member
But they suspended the sentence anyway - so he's not only not being let out, he hasn't been let in!!

Well, we all know that any offence involving the railway is a bit mickey mouse don't we!? Jump the barriers, nick the cables, trespass - it's all fine, just a slap on the wrist :|

Established Member
Funnily enough saw a person doing something as equally as stupid yesterday - kicking a ball around on a platform and then retrieving it from the track not once but twice. Only last month did I see someone at Ellesmere Port get onto the track (very near to the 3rd rail as well) to pick up (steal) a phone that someone else had dropped previously. Seems if breaking the law and the railways are concerned, a lot of people are either just blase or downright stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.