• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LilLoaf latest, Have you ever wondered.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLoaf

Hi all,

I'm a guy with random thoughts so i thought i set up a thread to share a few (which could be a mistake but here goes).

Has anyone on here ever wondered why there needs to be a destination label or Dot Matrix display saying "Sorry not in Service". I mean surely people can see when a train has no inside lights on, and no passengers on thats its not in service. Does that fact really need to be underlined? If the trains engine is off in the platforms and nobody's around isn't it obvious that its going nowhere.

What do you think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Has anyone on here ever wondered why there needs to be a destination label or Dot Matrix display saying "Sorry not in Service".

Not really no, but it just lets people know straight away.

I mean surely people can see when a train has no inside lights on, and no passengers on thats its not in service.

Well, considering that people will try to get onto any train on the right platform, or even in the right station if it's a smaller one, then yes.

If the trains engine is off in the platforms and nobody's around isn't it obvious that its going nowhere.

Not necessarily. If it's, for example, an EMU, that makes almost no noise when idling, how will people know it's not in service? If it's during the day, and you can't see the lights are off, people are unlikely to realise.

Phoenix

Established Member
I love it how now buses refer to themselves in the First person so "Sorry im not in service" I wasn't aware buses had thoughts.

mbonwick

Established Member
Round here, they just say "Sorry Not In Service"
I've never found out where that is though....:lol:

me123

Established Member
I love it how now buses refer to themselves in the First person so "Sorry im not in service" I wasn't aware buses had thoughts.

Up here the front alternates between:

"Sorry

Ah'm no in service"

And on the back, the three-digit display goes around:

"Off

Tae

Bed"

LilLoaf

Ok fare enough points taken, sort of does make sence in a way i suppose. I've always been able to tell when a trains not in service but never mind. Suppose there are some simple people in the world.

Off tae bed - haha i like that one.

Jordy

Established Member
Buses round here often just say "SNIS" on them, which apparently stand for "Sorry not in service"

Tom B

Established Member

Some Firstbus ones have "Sorry not in service - please call our helpline on 0800 123 456". Why need we call a helpline?

However our proper buses just show a blank black screen, which people understand to mean "private".

Phoenix

Established Member
Wasn't there a Voyager somewhere pictures with "Off to Bed" on the PIS?

Best one I ever seen was at Birmingham New street when there was a class 350 with Tokyo on the display board I didn't believe it.

But yeah all National Express West midlands buses say "sorry im not in service"

mbonwick

Established Member
Some Firstbus ones have "Sorry not in service - please call our helpline on 0800 123 456". Why need we call a helpline?

However our proper buses just show a blank black screen, which people understand to mean "private".

Some of the Optare Solos round here, and a couple of buses that have had LED screens retro-fitted say "Sorry Not In Service, Travelline: (phone number) for public transport info"

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aye, we have similar on Veolia's Solos up here.

Like that Voyager one, fair dos.

But the absolute favourite would be on a 444 last summer, with "SCRAPYARD!" on the display! If I'd been ready for it, I'd have gotten a photo and the 444 was gone before I re-passed Poole CS. Made me laugh and even more since I banished the plastic tack from my traction preferences!

MCR247

Established Member
The Trent Barton ones go: 'Sorry not on service'

That dosent make sense does it?

The NCT ones with the roller blind thingys are wierd. Seen here: On this optare solo

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member

Agreed, Our old Titans (Absolute MONSTERS!) just used to have a blank screen, sometimes yellow though not black.

Of course, to signify a proper bus it would have some lovely steps and some low floor crap for Doris and the latest youngster who gets knocked up with her pram:roll:

:p

MCR247

Established Member
Apart from the need not to be sorry - I can't see what's wrong with it?

I mean wouldnt it be: Sorry Not In Service or Sorry not on a service

It might just be me though....

Death

Established Member
This one goes back a few years, but when SWT were introducing their Disastros I did see a few trains displaying Ausser Betreib and Leerfahrt on them. Looks like SWT aren't the fastest in the world when it comes to translating generic signage on Siemens trains from the original German! :lol:

MCR247

Established Member
This one goes back a few years, but when SWT were introducing their Disastros I did see a few trains displaying Ausser Betreib and Leerfahrt on them. Looks like SWT aren't the fastest in the world when it comes to translating generic signage on Siemens trains from the original German! :lol:

Theres a picture somewhere of a 350/1 with a German destination on a New St

ungreat

There is a need..the travelling public are thick and must be mollycoddled every step of the way,so lets tell the mongy muppets that,despite no lights,no doors open..this train is not in service.

And still they press the buttons.....

Plus why,after the obvious lots of doors on trains,do they need to use just one set and clog up the stairwells as they get off(which adds to the trains time at stations cos the driver/guard cant see past the masses to close the doors..more delays!)?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
There are a high number of the public that are generally thick unfortunately, you can announce an empty stock as not in service over the PA using your own voice, not the announcer and still people will try the doors which can be a pain particularly as then you end up with slam doors going out on the catch :(

Established Member
i was once on a 350 t BHM as it was at the station (fully ready and set for Liverpool departure) it said "This is Birmngham new street where this service terminates" as it left BHM its said "Welcome abourd this <time> London Midland service to Birmingham New Street calling at Stafford, Wolverhampton adn Birmingham New Street, as we were out of the tunnel it said "We are now aproching Birmingham New Street"

it was only when we arrived at Wolverhampton did she Say "..to Liverpool Lime Street"

Mind you i never get tired of that voice or the way she says it :lol:

16CSVT2700

Established Member
There are a high number of the public that are generally thick unfortunately, you can announce an empty stock as not in service over the PA using your own voice, not the announcer and still people will try the doors which can be a pain particularly as then you end up with slam doors going out on the catch :(
That's when you shout at them not to touch the doors. We get it alot at SLO when people run down the stairs and try to board after the doors are locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.