• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List of UK Heritage railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon11

Established Member
Hello,

I have always used http://www.heritage-railways.com/map.php to looking at potential heritage railways when exploring parts of the UK.

I am trying to get around to visit all the last major railways which are worth a visit, i.e. more than several miles long.

Any chance, anyone has a spreadsheet with all railways centres in the UK and mileages or has a list of the top say 30 railways in the UK?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Wikipedia's list looks pretty complete. It doesn't list mileages, but you can always look at the individual pages for that.

Titfield

Established Member
Go to www.heritagerailways.com

click on the travel trade and groups guide button as that takes you to detailed brochure with loads of info. Its better than the other button which goes to the map.

mdewell

Hello,

I have always used http://www.heritage-railways.com/map.php to looking at potential heritage railways when exploring parts of the UK.

I am trying to get around to visit all the last major railways which are worth a visit, i.e. more than several miles long.

Any chance, anyone has a spreadsheet with all railways centres in the UK and mileages or has a list of the top say 30 railways in the UK?

Thanks!
Here's my list :) Would point out though that there is more to heritage railways than simply line length. E.g. Have you visited Didcot?

RailwayLengthGauge
Welsh Highland Railway252ft
Wensleydale Railway224ft 8.5in
West Somerset Railway204ft 8.5in
North Yorkshire Moors Railway184ft 8.5in
Severn Valley Railway164ft 8.5in
Weardale Railway164ft 8.5in
Dartmoor Railway154ft 8.5in
Ffestiniog Railway142ft
Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway1415in
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway134ft 8.5in
East Lancashire Railway124ft 8.5in
Vale of Rheidol Railway122ft
Bluebell Railway114ft 8.5in
Keith and Dufftown Railway114ft 8.5in
Kent & East Sussex Railway104ft 8.5in
Llangollen Railway104ft 8.5in
Mid-Hants `Watercress' Railway104ft 8.5in
Nottingham Heritage Railway (aka GCR(N))104ft 8.5in
Strathspey Steam Railway104ft 8.5in
Waterford & Suir Valley Railway103ft
Bure Valley Railway915in
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway94ft 8.5in
Mid-Norfolk Railway94ft 8.5in
Great Central Railway84ft 8.5in
Welshpool & Llanfair Railway82ft 6in
Nene Valley Railway84ft 8.5in
Dartmouth Steam Railway74ft 8.5in
Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway715in
South Devon Railway74ft 8.5in
Talyllyn Railway72ft 3in

A S Leib

Here's my list :) Would point out though that there is more to heritage railways than simply line length. E.g. Have you visited Didcot?

RailwayLengthGauge
Welsh Highland Railway252ft
Wensleydale Railway224ft 8.5in
West Somerset Railway204ft 8.5in
North Yorkshire Moors Railway184ft 8.5in
Severn Valley Railway164ft 8.5in
Weardale Railway164ft 8.5in
Dartmoor Railway154ft 8.5in
Ffestiniog Railway142ft
Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway1415in
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway134ft 8.5in
East Lancashire Railway124ft 8.5in
Vale of Rheidol Railway122ft
Bluebell Railway114ft 8.5in
Keith and Dufftown Railway114ft 8.5in
Kent & East Sussex Railway104ft 8.5in
Llangollen Railway104ft 8.5in
Mid-Hants `Watercress' Railway104ft 8.5in
Nottingham Heritage Railway (aka GCR(N))104ft 8.5in
Strathspey Steam Railway104ft 8.5in
Waterford & Suir Valley Railway103ft
Bure Valley Railway915in
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway94ft 8.5in
Mid-Norfolk Railway94ft 8.5in
Great Central Railway84ft 8.5in
Welshpool & Llanfair Railway82ft 6in
Nene Valley Railway84ft 8.5in
Dartmouth Steam Railway74ft 8.5in
Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway715in
South Devon Railway74ft 8.5in
Talyllyn Railway72ft 3in
As you're including the Waterford & Suir, I'd add the Manx Electric Railway (17 miles, 3ft gauge) and Isle of Man Railway (15 ½ miles, 3 ft gauge).

Trainfan344

Established Member
The North Norfolk railway is not long but it's definitely worth visiting

Alan Warren

The Mid Norfolk Railway is 11 miles long for regular services between Wymondham and Dereham (not 9) while there are another 3 miles or so of track open on special occasions up to Worthing.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hello,

Thanks!

Our very own @shredder1 put a list together a few years ago which is here:

I’ll maybe merge the two threads at some point as it’s useful to have it all in one place. :)

steamybrian

Established Member
To quote the phrase " size does not matter".
There are many fine railways of less than 7 miles in length such as Keighley & Worth Valley Railway and Spa Valley Railway.
Similarly one of those listed above (over 7 miles) was the worst Heritage Railway I have ever visited and will never visit again- but to avoid embarrassment I will never visit again..!

steamybrian

Established Member
No one has mentioned the Yorkshire Wolds Railway.
There are many railways under 7 miles which he has not listed. For example here in the South East in addition to the Spa Valley Railway we have Sittingbourne & Kemsley, East Kent Railway (Shepherds Well), Lavender Line at Isfield and the unique Volks Electric Railway in Brighton.

Bertone

Does the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre qualify as the shortest Heritage Railway, the running line being a long siding?

John Luxton

Established Member
Dartmoor railway no longer exists and is now owned by Network Rail with trains operated by GWR, so not a heritage line.
But still very much worth a visit and both Okehampton Station is nicely presented in SR and Crediton in LSWR colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.