• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime St remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Camden

Established Member
You can get a fairly good overall view of the site, and a 1980s-style vegetarian meal, from the cafe (the Egg ?) on Newington.

It's probably lucky that the Central Village plan for some mall or other such gubbins above the station has stalled, as it didn't seem to take into account any station improvements at all. The ideal solution would be a second island platform, a small additional concourse at the south end of the station (to account for the large numbers of passengers heading that direction from.the station) and an air rights development which still.permits natural light to reach the platform.
Hasn't your mr mayor council bought it instead?... o_O

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A new shopping centre on top would be a good way to boost Central's capacity via planning gain. Close it for a year, say, dig it all up and build a totally new, modern 2-island station (retaining the existing Deep Level station), then whack a shopping centre on top in the manner of New St (the New St fug issue doesn't apply to a wholly electric railway). Fund it by charging the shopping centre operator.

nw-sparks

What's the delay on the Platform 1?
Presumably they've got to relay the track which they couldn't do while the trains were running. Although why it takes two months I don't know!

(Platform 2 (new number) will have a reduced operational length until October as well.)

Last edited:

xtradj

Presumably they've got to relay the track which they couldn't do while the trains were running. Although why it takes two months I don't know!

(Platform 2 (new number) will have a reduced operational length until October as well.)

From the photos on twitter they have relayed the track last week for new platform one

Camden

Established Member

It seems weird, and I can't work out a logical reason. Wonder if anyone else on here can shed any light.

The station seemed to be struggling prior to the closure/partial closure, when there was one platform down. I guess the above means that the station isn't actually back up to full capacity until October.

nw-sparks

It seems weird, and I can't work out a logical reason. Wonder if anyone else on here can shed any light.

The station seemed to be struggling prior to the closure/partial closure, when there was one platform down. I guess the above means that the station isn't actually back up to full capacity until October.
Technically it'll have the same number of platforms as we had before all the work started, which is one more than we've had since October last year. Then in October this year they'll get the extra one at last.

On the other hand, they're hoping to run the new timetable which failed back in May, so I won't be surprised if it all collapses.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
As I understand it, the outer end of the new P1 (old P2) has still to be built over the next 2 months.
They have only just gained full access to it with the recent closure of the temporary single line working into Lime St.
We'll have to see what emerges next Monday.

Camden

Established Member
Was this planned do you know, or is this a problem which has arisen? As far as I can recall, it was always the case that the station would be completely shut for two weeks, which they're just coming up to the end of now.

nw-sparks

Was this planned do you know, or is this a problem which has arisen? As far as I can recall, it was always the case that the station would be completely shut for two weeks, which they're just coming up to the end of now.
I have a document dated May 2018 stating that platform 1 will be closed until 7 October, but I think it was planned this way much earlier than that.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half

The remaining section of new platform is quite long, has an open line one side of it and no work could start on the P1 side of the extension until a week ago. Add to that the difficulties of getting concrete, blockwork, copers etc. to and from the site of work and so 8-10 weeks (including surfacing, lighting, signs, etc.) isn't such a long time.

This was always the plan, since May 2016 to my knowledge.

notlob.divad

Established Member
From the twitter feed, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Di0XDb8X4AEAF7t.jpg This is what new platform 1/2 looked like on Monday. It does appear that new track has already been layed through the 'rat hole', although maybe it has not been tamped etc. Plus there is the OHLE to replace as well. However if it is scheduled for October, then to my eyes, it certainly doesn't look like ti is going to be late.

driver_m

Established Member
It's still going to be a 9 platform station on re opening next week which is obvs better than the previous situations which left only 8 open. Don't know if it's been mentioned on here but the Liverpool-Scotland TPE services have apparently been postponed for now. (On wnxx)

Oba slightly more positive note, a 323 has been doing some runs out of LSP to Crewe so the drivers are on their way to getting sorted out, the TPE 68 and stock was also being played with at Crewe LNWR so they may well be out and about too.

B&I

Established Member
Hasn't your mr mayor council bought it instead?... o_O

Liverpool City Council has bought the 'Central Station' shopping centre, the cheap 1980s shed which disgracefully replaced the old CLC office block. 'Central Village' was AIUI a plan to build out from the back of the old Lewis's department store over the currently under-occupied site on top of the present-day Liverpool Central station.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Technically it'll have the same number of platforms as we had before all the work started, which is one more than we've had since October last year. Then in October this year they'll get the extra one at last.

On the other hand, they're hoping to run the new timetable which failed back in May, so I won't be surprised if it all collapses.
As you pointed out in the Temporary Timetable thread, Northern is now not intending to restore the full Lime Street timetable until 3rd September.

nw-sparks

As you pointed out in the Temporary Timetable thread, Northern is now not intending to restore the full Lime Street timetable until 3rd September.
Yeah, I hadn't found that out yesterday.

The journey planners are currently still showing a full service from Monday.

I thought the T-6 timetable publication we're supposed to be getting now was measured in weeks but apparently it's hours.:rolleyes:

Greybeard33

Established Member
Yeah, I hadn't found that out yesterday.

The journey planners are currently still showing a full service from Monday.

I thought the T-6 timetable publication we're supposed to be getting now was measured in weeks but apparently it's hours.:rolleyes:

Actually, NRE says this about Lime St services from 30 July:
I await with bated breath Monday morning when we'll find out who is right. I know which outcome my money's on.:frown:
RTT has the cancellations loaded for w/c 30 July, although not (yet) for subsequent weeks. It would appear to be a late change.

nw-sparks

RTT has the cancellations loaded for w/c 30 July, although not (yet) for subsequent weeks. It would appear to be a late change.

Ooops, yes, I didn't look properly. Cancellations for 30 July to 3 August were loaded on 20 July. They're still shown as running on Saturday 4 and all the next week.

xtradj

I was made aware northern will operate a full service from Monday at Liverpool

This still stands as far as I’m told

peter166

Does anyone know where to find a copy of the old layout of track & signalling at Lime St. up to Edge Hill pre July 2018, and for comparison the new layout & signalling currently in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.