LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by snowball, 28 Sep 2018.

1. trebor79

trebor79 Member

That wouldn't be much good as you'd then have exposed live conductors.
    Also a risk that the connectors drop out due to train movement.

Perhaps they will have to put some kind of fairing over then, or daub them with anti-climb paint, or perhaps even move the cabling and piping.

Whatever the solution, it a bit carp that the issue has been raised after entry into service.

I actually think it's a non-issue and typical of the sort of thing that comes out of a desktop risk assessment. I can think of multiple ways of getting into the roof any any train in a station without much difficulty.
    But for sure someone is going to make someone else spend a lot of money mitigating said "problem".

2. Mordac

Mordac Established Member

It does seem a bit fishy.

3. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

I don't think it may be the cables that is the issue, but the step like appearance of the electrical boxes. Perhaps a Pendolino style fairing covering the sides of them will be used, thus leaving the cables where they are but deterring anyone from climbing on the boxes.

4. northernbelle

northernbelle Member

It's the cables and their proximity to one another that is the issue. They create, in the ORR's words, a "ladder" like appearance that people might be tempted to climb.

The inter-vehicle connections did not form part of the approval process when the GWR Class 800/2s were approved, but it's since been added as a result of a fatality at Manchester Piccadilly caused by a man climbing on to the roof of a Pendolino using these cables.

5. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

If that’s the case that’s triggered the issue, presumably they’ll be looking at 390s as well.

6. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

GWR units had some modifications after introduction, ORR are basically saying the risk is acceptable to keep using already approved units but that they shouldn't allow the commissioning of new units until a permanent fix is available as that would increase the chances.

7. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. :-\ There was a widely publicised incident involving a passenger climbing onto the roof of a Voyager via (I think) a vehicle end at Durham a couple of years ago that I thought might have influenced the ruling.

8. broadgage

broadgage Member

Yes, I believe that portable RETB equipment does exist and has been used on steam specials, and presumably can therefore be used on an IET.

9. themiller

themiller Member

There's a similar inter-coach cable configuration on the ETR 470s which are/were operated under the Cisalpino name in Switzerland and Italy. I can recall no account of anyone climbing on the cables to access the roof.

10. goblinuser

goblinuser Member

Honestly, that does look very clime-able, especially so to children and intoxicated adults.

11. modernrail

modernrail Member

Do the ORR and Unions not come in at the design and mock-up stage, VR and simulator stage to approve train designs? If not, how silly. Clearly It is feasible that some problems would only emerge under test. However, with all the modern tools to visualise designs, this sort of thing should not be happening. Frankly, with this design, a kids drawing would have shown up the problem.

What a silly waste of money and time.

12. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

These designs are in use successfully in other European countries at least, its here in the UK that we seem to mitigate for every idiot that might do something or go somewhere they are not supposed to. Quite honestly even if those were hidden, or relocated (something I imagine would be a huge job) some idiot would still be trying to climb onto the train somewhere, or more likely ending up down the side when rushing for a train clearly closing up & departing.

13. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A brief reminder that we have quite literally just done the 'trespassers are stupid and deserve whatever they get and we mollycoddle everyone these days!' or 'there is a duty to ensure that everyone is as safe as possible and what was fine years ago isn't anymore!' debate on the Tyne Yard thread. I see absolutely no reason for the same people to rehash, yet again, the same arguments on this thread.

If you really really want to then feel free to start a new thread in General Discussion on the topic of trespass and duty of care. It is off-topic on this and nearly every other thread and will be deleted as such.

14. Metal_gee_man

Metal_gee_man Member

What's interesting is the class 395 SE HS trains are Hitachi AT300s so are the 800/01/02s but the 395s don't have such large gaps, and some aerodynamics to reduce the gap!

Interestingly though, have the 800/801/802s been designed to handle tighter twists and turns further up the ECML? Obviously if they need to handle tighter curves they'll need bigger gaps between carriages and can't have vanity panels placed on the end of each carriage to stop idiots being idiots!

15. gsnedders

gsnedders Established Member

A more obvious difference is the 395 is 20m stock (i.e., each car is 20m long), as is common in the former SR. The AT300s are the first 26m stock to actually enter service in the UK.

16. Metal_gee_man

Metal_gee_man Member

I'm aware of the length difference but with longer carriages won't a longer wheelbase/boggie base make them articulate at the gap much more, equally they must also make a bit more noise and wear out parts a bit more than a shorter carriage round tighter bends than a 20m carriage

17. mark-h

mark-h Member

Am I the only one thinking that cloth and duct tape would provide a (at least interim) solution.

18. Rob F

Rob F Member

Isn’t the extra length of an IET coach over a Mk 3 between the bogie and the coach end, i.e. the gap between the bogies is about the same?

19. notlob.divad

notlob.divad Member

At 125mph?

20. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Yes, distance between bogie centres on the IETs is allegedly similar to that of a mark 3.

21. dp21

dp21 Member

Yup, standards dictate the distance between bogie centres. If I remember correctly it's 16m.

22. swt_passenger

I thought it was 17m according to a Hitachi data sheet I found a few years ago. Still in the Mk3 ballpark though, rather than excessively longer. There’s been a few discussions of it in these forums over the years.

23. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

You are, yes.

24. dp21

dp21 Member

You may indeed be correct.

25. Bornin1980s

Bornin1980s Member

The 390s are over 15 years old. They have grandfather rights. This kind of thing mainly affects trains not yet in service.

26. swt_passenger

I don’t think it is that black and white. If ORR reckon it’s a safety issue that’s been disregarded I’d expect age won’t come into it.