• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

class26

As Lincoln - Newark isn’t that far or fast. Can they be used on that route or does it need the bi-modes?

My understanding that the Donkey engine has a max speed of 30 mph but please correct me if I am wrong
Lincoln - Newark has a max of 70 mph

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class26

Correct. Although it feels like 30 in places. Thanks for confirmation

There is a stretch of 50 mph between Collingham and Newark which is due to the formation never having been stabilised. I guess this may be due to the proximity of the Trent ? I note that in the latest Midland Connect plan Nottingham - Lincoln is said to have work to reduce the timings by 10 minutes so this hopefully will be put right at some point.

Sorry to go off topic.

Last edited:

3973EXL

Established Member
5X96 Eastleigh - Acton
5Q96 Acton - Doncaster

DSC01859 (2).JPG

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s a theoretical turning route for ECML stock via the Canonbury curve and reversals on the North London line, I’m fairly sure the exact route has been quoted before somewhere...

LNER don’t sign the Hexthorpe triangle, or the third side of the Shipley triangle, so neither are achievable using LNER Drivers.

The only current option for LNER to turn the set is the High Level Bridge at Newcastle.

Edited to add: yes, it’s 1 full sized engine. However the mileage guidance given for its use, and the maximum speed allowed while using it, precludes using Hambleton.

Whether a bi-mode 5-car could turn it in due course is something that could be looked at if ever needed in the future.

Established Member
LNER don’t sign the Hexthorpe triangle, or the third side of the Shipley triangle, so neither are achievable using LNER Drivers.

The only current option for LNER to turn the set is the High Level Bridge at Newcastle.

Edited to add: yes, it’s 1 full sized engine. However the mileage guidance given for its use, and the maximum speed allowed while using it, precludes using Hambleton.

Whether a bi-mode 5-car could turn it in due course is something that could be looked at if ever needed in the future.

But gbrf drivers do, who man the Hitachi test trains. If the train has been put in reverse due to that, surely it is not beyond Hitachi using a gbrf driver, to drive or route conduct a lner driver.
Hitachi have financial penalties for turning out sets on reverse for passenger use, so it is on there interest to sort it out ASAP.

How did it end up in reverse in the first place?
It was delivered in reverse! The problem is, its working in multiple with another class 801, which isn’t in reverse, so turning the whole consist will not solve the problem.
The only feasible solution would be to bring the set into Newcastle, uncouple and depart one unit via the High Level Bridge and the other via the King Edward Bridge, then recouple somewhere further South. This clearly isn’t going to happen in passenger service.

Yes - GBRF Drivers do. However, it’s required in traffic at the moment, so can’t be turned - I’d hope it’ll be in their plan soon.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Also I’m delighted that my ‘window’ seat has a great view of a wall.

I'm booked on an Azuma on Wednesday and trying to work out which seats had a window was a nightmare. And that's in 1st class!

I'm guessing that LNER's seating plan doesn't mark where the windows are for a reason! One for @Wallsendmag to fix?

Established Member
It was delivered in reverse! The problem is, its working in multiple with another class 801, which isn’t in reverse, so turning the whole consist will not solve the problem.
The only feasible solution would be to bring the set into Newcastle, uncouple and depart one unit via the High Level Bridge and the other via the King Edward Bridge, then recouple somewhere further South. This clearly isn’t going to happen in passenger service.

There is a need for 8 x 801/s in service per day. They have more than that available to use, it is easy to arrange at Doncaster without a pointless move up to Doncaster on what would be an empty stock move.

Like the post above says, hopefully it will be sorted soon, but, in the mean time, for each diagram where the set is in reverse Hitachi get penalised.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I'm booked on an Azuma on Wednesday and trying to work out which seats had a window was a nightmare. And that's in 1st class!

I'm guessing that LNER's seating plan doesn't mark where the windows are for a reason! One for @Wallsendmag to fix?
They're on the outside ;). Seriously though we have much more important things to fix at the moment.

MikeWM

Established Member
Like the post above says, hopefully it will be sorted soon, but, in the mean time, for each diagram where the set is in reverse Hitachi get penalised.

Problem is that it penalises the passengers too. Expecting a train with A through to K, in that order, but getting KJHGFABCDE instead. Can't there at least be some prominent warnings and announcements? There was nothing at all at PBO yesterday, except a great deal of confusion and running around when the train pulled in.

(then after you spend 10 minutes trying to find the right carriage, you find you've got a wall to look at rather than a window to look through... Super. Still, I'm repeating myself...)

My second experience - today on a quiet train to York - was rather more positive; as I didn't have a reservation, I didn't care what order the carriages were in (though they seemed correct) and could pick a seat next to a window.

The seats seem comfortable enough to me, but then I've been conditioned by the forced transition of increasing firmness over time from 317s to 365s to 387s (with the odd 700 thrown in, after which anything seems comfortable...) And at least there are still separate carriages, none of this open space between carriages annoyance that we have to put up with in most new rolling stock.

It never ceases to amaze though that we keep on building new trains and get them *mostly* right, but always seem to get some of the little things wrong, souring the experience.

Taunton

Established Member
Issues with reservation on all Lner fleets over weekend.
Went just mid last week Kings Cross to Newcastle and vv. Outward on Azuma (the Glasgow train). Back on a 225. Notably the reservations on neither worked. On the outward this was blamed on it being a "new train". On the return this was blamed on it being an "old train".

For some reason the 225 on the return left Newcastle, starting from there, via the High Level bridge and ran in reverse formation to London. No attempt was made at any of the intermediate stations to indicate this, which led to considerable confusion on the platforms.

The conductor on the 225 announced at each stop that due to the failed reservation displays "Passengers with reservations please sit in your allocated seat as this will allow others without reservations to sit in the remaining seats". We couldn't make head nor tail of what could possibly be meant by this. Anybody got any idea.

Last edited:

Established Member
Went just mid last week Kings Cross to Newcastle and vv. Outward on Azuma (the Glasgow train). Back on a 225. Notably the reservations on neither worked. On the outward this was blamed on it being a "new train". On the return this was blamed on it being an "old train".

For some reason the 225 on the return left Newcastle, starting from there, via the High Level bridge and ran in reverse formation to London. No attempt was made at any of the intermediate stations to indicate this, which led to considerable confusion on the platforms.

The conductor on the 225 announced at each stop that due to the failed reservation displays "Passengers with reservations please sit in your allocated seat as this will allow others without reservations to sit in the remaining seats". We couldn't make head nor tail of what could possibly be meant by this. Anybody got any idea.

1S23 they have been having issues with the data feed of the reservations to the train.
Kings Cross have started printinh paper reservations for that train. The actual train is fine as it loads reservations for the other services but for some reason 1s23 won't load

Voyager lad

1S23 they have been having issues with the data feed of the reservations to the train.
Kings Cross have started printinh paper reservations for that train. The actual train is fine as it loads reservations for the other services but for some reason 1s23 won't load
Are reservations displaying on the southbound equivalent (unsure of head code sorry!!)? I’m travelling on this in a couple of weeks and I’m aware how busy it can sometimes be

Established Member
Are reservations displaying on the southbound equivalent (unsure of head code sorry!!)? I’m travelling on this in a couple of weeks and I’m aware how busy it can sometimes be

Unsure about that sorry. Only read of the issue on the north bound.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
There is 1 x 5 car which is in reverse (either 801110 or 801112) and Hitachi are instructed to turn it ASAP.

As for luggage, plenty of discussions are currently underway between Lner, DFT and Hitachi. Lner certainly not happy about luggage.

RE luggage, I hope so. The HSTs etc I traveled on York to Edinburgh this summer not a single one had remotely enough luggage space. If azumas have less than God help us!

spinba11

There isn’t enough space for luggage, one of the wheelchair spaces in 1st class was full of it on Thursday last week. If I wasn’t in the other one when they got on I’m sure the people would of spread it over both spaces.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
First ride on an Azuma this morning, first class coach M.

Ride: about the same as a MkIV, which is a disappointment given a MkIV is 30 years old. Not worse than a MkIV though. Passable. Impressive acceleration and braking.
Seats: I like a firm seat so it was comfortable. Not as good as the seats on the old trains, though, the recline was a faff and was a bit sticky. And the headrest just jammed into my shoulder blades, even at the highest setting.

Cheap plasticky finish and plenty of rattles, even on a new train, though. Not quite as bad for rattles and cheap plastic as the 385 I'm on now, mind. Hitachi build quality really is crap.

On the plus side, the cooked breakfast was bloody gorgeous. No toast at all though!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I didn't even realise you could adjust the head rest.

The red bit slides up and down, but only a bit. I'm six foot but with a long torso, it just jammed into me.

The table legs are also in a stupid place, whilst I'm talking about the s**ts.

westv

Established Member
I'm 6' too but don't have a problem with the table legs or the headrests. :D

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Ahead of a journey on a 10-car service on Saturday, I have been sent an email suggesting that I make sure I get in the right portion of the train.

TRAVELLING ON A 10-COACH AZUMA TRAIN

Things to know before you board

Jonathan, your upcoming journey is currently scheduled to be on our brand new Azuma train*. Get ready to enjoy the fastest, smoothest and comfiest train on the tracks.

This Azuma train will be made up of two separate 5-coach trains joined together, which means you will not be able to move between each half of the train while travelling between stops. So be sure to board the correct part of the train for your seat reservation.

To see more information about this 10-coach train layout such as First Class areas, wheelchair access and luggage storage please click below.

Thanks,

The LNER Team

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well at least they're being proactive about it!

Did GWR do anything like this when they started using their 10-car sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.