• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mattyb1405

A few hours ...........on the Chieftan ?

Did this journey Monday with family in tow from Kings Cross to Aviemore.
Found the seats ok, but the wife didn't like them compared to a Pendolino we were on the previous day.
The one thing that surprised me was the size of the counter - smaller than I imagined! I appreciate I'll be in a minority but when you are on such a long journey it does give you a focal to point to walk to and stretch the legs (and secrete a cab of beer away from my wife)....far nicer than walking to the toilet!!!

I finally had my first ride on an azuma this morning. Mixed feelings, but nothing beyond what has already been reported, I tried to remain very open minded regarding the travel experience, however I feel it’s a comfort downgrade from the existing rolling stock provision.

I travelled on a 385 to Glasgow from Edinburgh shortly after, I feel the azuma is a more glossier version of these trainsets and very close in product terms.

XC90

I find 385 is noiser than the 380s particularly when slowing. The 800 and 385 are both quick off the mark though.

route101

Established Member
I finally had my first ride on an azuma this morning. Mixed feelings, but nothing beyond what has already been reported, I tried to remain very open minded regarding the travel experience, however I feel it’s a comfort downgrade from the existing rolling stock provision.

I travelled on a 385 to Glasgow from Edinburgh shortly after, I feel the azuma is a more glossier version of these trainsets and very close in product terms.

They have the same hollow ride, 380s are certainly smoother

I travelled on my first Azuma last week from London to Edinburgh.

My overall impressions were good. I was in 1st class and seat comfort was fine. I didn't find the seats overly firm and may actually have helped with posture. Also no slipping around the seats as happened on the HSTs and Mark IVs.

Good points
  • traffic light reservation system was in use and this is excellent
  • mugs didn't fly across the table as they did on older stock
  • new train smell (that was my wife's point)
  • my wife liked it and said it was vastly superior to the Pendolini we used to get down a couple of days earlier
The only minor grumbles I have are:
  • the toilet (non-accessible) doesn't seem to be the best design for when washing hands as I found the water was going over the side and on to the floor too easily.
  • lighting seems to be on the bright side. Has LNER actually turned the brightness down or is that yet to come?
  • not many pairs of individual seats
Obviously everyone is different but I'd choose an Azuma over a 91+Mark IV from now on. Not that it’s likely to be a choice from Edinburgh much longer.

Last edited:

ajrm

I travelled on my first Azuma last week from London to Edinburgh.
  • the toilet (non-accessible) doesn't seem to be the best design for when washing hands as I found the water was going over the side and on to the floor too easily.
Yes, these are really poor. A combination, I think, of a very narrow, shallow sink and the tap being rather high above it means that it doesn't take much for the water to miss the target or to slosh out onto the floor.

Established Member
Yes, these are really poor. A combination, I think, of a very narrow, shallow sink and the tap being rather high above it means that it doesn't take much for the water to miss the target or to slosh out onto the floor.

There is a set (800113) which has modified taps as a trial, which aims to direct water to the sink rather than over the floor.

westv

Established Member
After dozens of journeys I have finally noticed what people have meant regarding the padded headrest things in 1st class. They vary in height by a number of inches so are obviously adjustable. I must have been lucky as all of mine have been at max height first of all.

3973EXL

Established Member
Earlier today

5X98/Q61
0513 Eastleigh - Acton - Doncaster
66772 801214

Swimbar

Apologies if this has already been raised! I see that again a Kings Cross-Aberdeen service is today being formed of a 10 Coach set (2x5) to Doncaster where passengers will be transfered to a 9 Coach set to Aberdeen.
Other than the requirement for additional crew is there a reason why a 10 Coach set (2x5) could not go to Aberdeen?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been raised! I see that again a Kings Cross-Aberdeen service is today being formed of a 10 Coach set (2x5) to Doncaster where passengers will be transfered to a 9 Coach set to Aberdeen.
Other than the requirement for additional crew is there a reason why a 10 Coach set (2x5) could not go to Aberdeen?
It's presumably 2 5-car 801s?

Status
Not open for further replies.