• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Class 91/Mk4 service status/withdrawals/2021 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
It depends on a number of issues, it is preferred to have the loco on the north end of the set as it makes it much easier to swap the loco quickly if needed, and there's also the issue of last minute dashes down platforms when the train shows up the wrong way round - not too much of a problem just for 1 train but when 4 of them are running like that it's a bit more of an issue.
Ironically with NL's shunt neck being at the West end the quickest end for loco swaps will be the South end but I can't see it changing just for that.

DanNCL

Established Member
Fair enough.
Am I right in thinking though that there are no Newcastle terminaters operated by LNER?
Still some on Sundays. If the last couple of days are anything to go by they'll likely be cutting some Edinburgh services short at Newcastle too.

Here's a schedule for the Newcastle TBird 67. LNER used to use them for route refreshers and road learning occasionally so that may even be why there's one up there again as it's only really freight trains to rescue otherwise, which aren't their problem directly.

Pit_buzzer

Here's a schedule for the Newcastle TBird 67. LNER used to use them for route refreshers and road learning occasionally so that may even be why there's one up there again as it's only really freight trains to rescue otherwise, which aren't their problem directly.

It's a daily weekday path that's been in the system for months, doesn't meen its going to run unfortunately

The 91 diagram(s) will not run north of York.

The 67 is at Newcastle whilst the MK4 sets were out of traffic, to enable route learning/refresh. Would expect it to return to Bounds Green soon, now the MK4 fleet are (partially) coming back.

It's a daily weekday path that's been in the system for months, doesn't meen its going to run unfortunately

I sussed that out by the info on the schedules. The fact the schedules even exist, even if they only run ad hoc was good evidence regarding the comment about the 67 currently being back up there even if its only as a road learner when required.

Established Member
At present the only services confirmed to be getting 91s from Tuesday are those I listed. It is possible for them to work to Newcastle (but not Edinburgh without route conductors), though I'm not presently aware of any plans for them to do so. Four of the sets do however need turning via the High Level Bridge, not clear at the moment when that'll be done and if it'll be done in service or not.

It depends on a number of issues, it is preferred to have the loco on the north end of the set as it makes it much easier to swap the loco quickly if needed, and there's also the issue of last minute dashes down platforms when the train shows up the wrong way round - not too much of a problem just for 1 train but when 4 of them are running like that it's a bit more of an issue.

London, Leeds and Doncaster crew sign to Newcastle so the 91s could work to Newcastle without issues. Edinburgh would require a route conductor.

The vast majority of the current diagrams because of the Kings Cross works visit both Edinburgh and Leeds, so without reworking the diagrams (which may or may not be possible) it'll likely be difficult to keep them confined solely to the Leeds route if they end up with more than one set in service at a time.
One set is due to be turned this Friday, this was planned for the 7th June return, if that happens now unsure, as passenger runs will be priority.

The 91 diagram(s) will not run north of York.

The 67 is at Newcastle whilst the MK4 sets were out of traffic, to enable route learning/refresh. Would expect it to return to Bounds Green soon, now the MK4 fleet are (partially) coming back.
67 moved yesterday to Doncaster, and one is on route to Bounds Green this morning as 0Z11 departing about 09 40, so that they are both now in suitable locations for mk4 rescues if needed.

Established Member
The scrap move today of 4 of them being delayed due to lack of shunter at Belmont

Darandio

Established Member
I sussed that out by the info on the schedules. The fact the schedules even exist, even if they only run ad hoc was good evidence regarding the comment about the 67 currently being back up there even if its only as a road learner when required.

The paths were still in even when no 67 was up there.

sd0733

Established Member
Suprised to see in the video that they still seem to have the nameplates attached.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There were 67s reported in use out of Newcastle back in March, they were running to Northallerton via the Durham Ciast and Middlesbrough, training for the eventual LNER service. I doubt that ‘Q’ schedule via the Blyth and Tyne runs very often at all, LNER diverting that way would be fairly extreme…

Ianigsy

Suprised to see in the video that they still seem to have the nameplates attached.
That was my first thought- Darlington Hippodrome might not arouse much interest, but I'd have thought that City of York would make a few quid if they sold it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.