• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Class 91/Mk4 service status/withdrawals/2021 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prestige15

On Moderation
Can't see that happening... can you.
Probably not but its the 21st Century, Anything is possible these days, We'll never know, there may be a guy who came up the idea for the Intercity LNER and sees this and think 'hmm..'

In my opinion the 225 sets only looked good on Intercity and GNER, the rest apart from loco 91110/111 have been dreadful and bland especially the VTEC which looked like that even Ray Chales can do a better livery

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

91127 and set number NL18, I think that's the set number, will be released from Wabtec to Neville Hill on Friday July 01st. Unsure if it will go straight into traffic or whether there will be some media/official unveiling event that I would have thought would take place on the Monday if there is one planned I know LNER love that sort of thing.

Established Member
91127 and set number NL18, I think that's the set number, will be released from Wabtec to Neville Hill on Friday July 01st. Unsure if it will go straight into traffic or whether there will be some media/official unveiling event that I would have thought would take place on the Monday if there is one planned I know LNER love that sort of thing.
There is test runs to take place before service. Unsure of date.
And it’s NL17. For info it is 10:18 Don 2 Way goods to Neville Hill as 5Z17.

Strathclyder

Established Member
So apparently they have actually sorted 91127's bogies... just a bit late though :lol:

I haven't seen any photographs yet but apparently she's out in the open at Doncaster West Yard this morning looking as splendid as she should have looked for the official reveal.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/225groupuk/status/1537759798363664384
All things considered, I really like this (all the better with the spruced-up bogies/undercarriage ofc), a massive improvement over the VTEC vinyls (which never suited the 91s anyway for the reasons already noted above) and a fresh twist on one of my all-time favorite liveries. And before anyone accuses me of indulging in personal nostalgia here, I was just over 3 weeks old when GNER started running the East Coast franchise and thus have no memories of InterCity Swallow in everyday service in the early privatisation era lol

Just a pity we won't see this up here in Scotland.

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
Heads up for anyone interested in rare workings of Mark 4 sets - following todays (24th June) disruption on the ECML, 37425 is currently planned to drag the 3 91+Mark 4 sets stranded at York tonight back to Neville Hill on Saturday - 91101+NL15, 91114+NL06, and 91119+NL26. A fourth set (91111+NL08) is stranded at Doncaster and will also be dragged back to Neville Hill on Saturday, but I’m not sure what the traction for this will be.

37425 is dragging the three sets from York back to Neville Hill, 67028 is dragging the set from Doncaster.

Last edited:

Dampfmann

Not shown on RTT - 67028 looking ex works in red DB livery hauled 91 111 and a Mark 4 set through Wakefield towards Leeds at 1006.
Can anyone explain why these four Mark 4 sets had to be 'abandoned' yesterday. What were the ECML problems last night?

DanNCL

Established Member
Not shown on RTT - 67028 looking ex works in red DB livery hauled 91 111 and a Mark 4 set through Wakefield towards Leeds at 1006.
Can anyone explain why these four Mark 4 sets had to be 'abandoned' yesterday. What were the ECML problems last night?
Tree on the line south of Wakefield. Line remains blocked to electric traction today which is why the sets are being dragged back.

Established Member
Tree on the line south of Wakefield. Line remains blocked to electric traction today which is why the sets are being dragged back.
down services between Doncaster and Leeds are required to operate under diesel traction through the affected area. Services formed with bi-mode Azuma sets will operate under diesel mode between Doncaster and Wakefield Westgate. Services that are formed with electric Azuma sets will operate under limited diesel traction between L265 signal in advance of Hare Park junction and L259 signal in rear of Hare Park junction.
Hugh speed coasting should be implemented for start of Sunday, with repair carried out Sunday night.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I had a colleague refer to GNER the other day in relation to travelling from London to Leeds. My other also referred to the 'GNER train' when travelling to York recently.

They obviously meant LNER but it's interesting how the GNER brand has stuck in some non rail enthusiasts minds. I always thought it was a classy era for the ECML.

Back on topic, I personally really like the new livery on the 91's and Mk.4s but then I always hated the VTEC colours whose vinyls looked flat and dull from day one. At least the interior refurbishment of the same time was very good.
I follow a GNER nostalgia account on twitter and it’s amazing how modern and classy the whole image still looks. When you see the date on some of the pictures (1997!) it’s hard to believe it was that long ago. Everything since has been cheap and nasty IMO.

James90012

down services between Doncaster and Leeds are required to operate under diesel traction through the affected area. Services formed with bi-mode Azuma sets will operate under diesel mode between Doncaster and Wakefield Westgate. Services that are formed with electric Azuma sets will operate under limited diesel traction between L265 signal in advance of Hare Park junction and L259 signal in rear of Hare Park junction.
Hugh speed coasting should be implemented for start of Sunday, with repair carried out Sunday night.

This is interesting- so diesel 800s need to work on diesel when the wires are there yet the 801s are able to soldier through? Just feels like Carbon is being burned for the sake of it...

Occtraveller

This is interesting- so diesel 800s need to work on diesel when the wires are there yet the 801s are able to soldier through? Just feels like Carbon is being burned for the sake of it...
It's operationally a lot easier to switch from diesel to electric, or vice versa, when stationary than on the move. The places where the switch happens at running speed, on GWR at least, have been specially reinforced, as I understand it. And if diesel to electric fails to work, the train just continues on diesel to the next stop. With the ECML's fragile wiring, I don't think it's a good idea to change over at speed anywhere.

I expect that the 801s will have to come to a complete halt at the specified signals to change over. That's a delay, but not nearly so large a delay as if crawling on one low-powered engine from Doncaster to Wakefield or Leeds. This does show the value of having at least a small amount of self-powered capability - though I'd rather it were battery than diesel.

Established Member
No, the 800 switched to diesel to operate between Doncaster and Leeds as the Overhead lines were damaged.

The 801s were brought to a stand at the signals mentioned in my post, changed into what is known as ‘Limited Traction Mode’, which is the one Diesel engine, passes the effected area, stops again, and reverts to electric power.

Established Member
91110 has been revinyled, still in Battle of Britain livery will be moving Doncaster to Neville Hill as 0Z10 this morning.

91111 will head the other way as 0Z11.

43102EMR

Established Member
91110 has been revinyled, still in Battle of Britain livery will be moving Doncaster to Neville Hill as 0Z10 this morning.

91111 will head the other way as 0Z11.
Was it repainted prior to vinyl application?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It is Battle of Britain livery.
Yes but both that and 111 have tiny bits of east coast grey with a purple line at the back of the loco where the promotional livery ends. I think he (and I am too) was wondering if they would have got rid of that? I hope so. It was there to feed nicely onto East Coast livery MK4s and of course now looks completely out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.