• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER HST Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

capital12

I’m intrigued to know of an HST preservation group that has £100k+ to spend on repainting coaches.

Aren’t Locomotive Services supposed to be taking a set? Not sure if it was a GWR set or LNER though, but logic (I know this is UK rail and that logic doesn’t surface very often!) would be that LSL are involved in repaint and then take this set?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Depends on how its done. If it's a vinyl+paint job like 43002, it'll be considerably cheaper.

It was already stated it will be a paint job.

I’m intrigued to know of an HST preservation group that has £100k+ to spend on repainting coaches.

Where has this £100k figure come from though?

A few paint brushes, a few gallons of paint and some turps. Cheap as chips.

On Moderation
Where has this £100k figure come from though?

A few paint brushes, a few gallons of paint and some turps. Cheap as chips.
Where has it come from? Knowledge.

If you reckon that, then you’d be wrong. A vehicle repaint is not cheap.

Darandio

Established Member
Where has it come from? Knowledge.

If you reckon that, then you’d be wrong. A vehicle repaint is not cheap.

Do you know it is going to cost £100k+ or not? I'm not interested in knowledge or 'sources'.

For the latter response, i'll remember the emoji next time.

ash39

Established Member
I think that is a fair way wide of the mark

Would be in bad political taste if a publicly owned TOC funded a full repaint on a set of rolling stock which was to be used on a single railtour before heading on a one-way trip back to the leasing company.

I'd be very surprised if this repaint wasn't part of a wider agenda for this set. Guess we'll find out in a month or so...

dubscottie

From what I understand a full, top to bottom vinyl job is about £10,000 per vehicle. It was discussed elsewhere in another topic yonks ago.

Paint is cheaper. Much cheaper.

It’s a repaint, not Vinyls.

My understanding is that the set isn’t going to EMR.

I’d be surprised if LNER paid for the entire cost of the repainting.

Paint is NOT cheaper than vinyl - a full vehicle repaint - depending on levels of prep and paint system and complexity of paint scheme, can be anywhere between £12k and £20k for a vehicle - but normally towards the middle of that range. Source? Me - I used to buy vehicle maintenance - including repaints for a ROSCO. Therefore, the £100k quoted by 43096 upthread for a 2+7 is very conservative - and I would say understated by about £20k.

northernbelle

From what I understand a full, top to bottom vinyl job is about £10,000 per vehicle. It was discussed elsewhere in another topic yonks ago.

Paint is cheaper. Much cheaper.

It's more expensive according to "43096" - 100 grand for 9 vehicles apparently.

northernbelle

Paint is NOT cheaper than vinyl - a full vehicle repaint - depending on levels of prep and paint system and complexity of paint scheme, can be anywhere between £12k and £20k for a vehicle - but normally towards the middle of that range. Source? Me - I used to buy vehicle maintenance - including repaints for a ROSCO. Therefore, the £100k quoted by 43096 upthread for a 2+7 is very conservative - and I would say understated by about £20k.

And to go back to the original point - that the taxpayer is about to fork out tens of thousands of pounds to paint an HST for one railtour - is still nonsense whether it's being painted or vinyled.. The revenue potential of the tour (and subsequent work for the set) will be high enough to justify such expenditure.

And to go back to the original point - that the taxpayer is about to fork out tens of thousands of pounds to paint an HST for one railtour - is still nonsense whether it's being painted or vinyled.. The revenue potential of the tour (and subsequent work for the set) will be high enough to justify such expenditure.

I wasn't making the business case - just correcting some misapprehensions!

dubscottie

You are wrong sorry. The prep is the same but it costs more to do a FULL vinyl.

On Moderation
You are wrong sorry. The prep is the same but it costs more to do a FULL vinyl.

If you were paying £12,000 to paint a coach?? No wonder you no longer are no longer in the job!
Perhaps you’d care to tell us what you experience is?

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
I doubt that Booths will be paying a premium for freshly painted scrap.

HOOVER29

Like any metal recycling firm they’ll pay the going rate but if they don’t think there’s much of a profit to be had I guess they won’t bother.
Have they got experience of cutting power cars?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've had quite enough of the bickering on this thread. You are all welcome to dispute figures given by other members and to doubt whether or not a figure is correct. You are not welcome to be rude to each other. This is very clear breach of the Forum Rules in particular those under the heading 'Respectful'. I would ask that all members ensure that any future contributions are in line with our Forum Rules.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

LNER, despite being in public ownership, is a commercial TOC whose job is to return maximum profit margin to DfT.
There won't be any taxpayer's cash involved unless some other public body (NRM?) has put up the funds.

On Moderation
Can someone confirm what the consist will be ( in terms of standards, firsts, and buffet etc)
The set at Doncaster is 7-car formed TF TF TRFB TS TS TS TGS.

The two TSs removed have gone back to Craigentinny with the power cars.

ChilternTurbo

Has the scrap move of EC64 taken place yet or are the carriages still at Craigentinny? Am I correct in believing that scrapping will take place at Landore? I'm not sure if I read that on here or twitter. I just assumed that scrapping would be handled by either Sims, Booths or EMR at Kingsbury...

BRX

Established Member
Does anyone know what the arrangement will be for the switchover of the Highland Chieftain?

First Azuma is down as 9th Dec which is a Monday - so does that mean there will be an HST southbound and Azuma northbound on that day... or will the last HSTs be on the Sunday 8th, in both directions?

Going by history. I expect the Southbound will be a HST.

Dragging up the above question again - just wondering if anyone in the know can confirm for me when the last southbound will be, and how definite it is - will it be on the monday (9th)?

On Moderation
Has the scrap move of EC64 taken place yet or are the carriages still at Craigentinny? Am I correct in believing that scrapping will take place at Landore? I'm not sure if I read that on here or twitter. I just assumed that scrapping would be handled by either Sims, Booths or EMR at Kingsbury...
Still at Craigentinny. NL65 is still at Neville Hill, too.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Dragging up the above question again - just wondering if anyone in the know can confirm for me when the last southbound will be, and how definite it is - will it be on the monday (9th)?

Sunday 8th last northbound Chieftain HST
Monday 9th last southbound Chieftain HST
Monday 9th first northbound Chieftain IET
Tuesday 10th first southbound Chieftain IET

Status
Not open for further replies.