• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Qualified Driver Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateluke

No news yet, as you rightly said, it is not going to be happening anytime soon...( I guess )
I would be surprised we find out more about the courses before the end of the summer... but I could be wrong

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeteJ

Apparently the first 8 have been invited for medicals.....Can anyone confirm this?

slidingdoors

Apologies for dragging up an old thread. I was just curious about something if there are any LNER drivers on here (or indeed anyone else that happens to know)? Someone posted the attached roster (may have been a different thread as I saved it down).. Do LNER not have any 2 or 1 week blocks off in the roster? Is it just max 4 days, and then (according to the ASLEF website) you only have 9 bookable days? Have I missed something? Otherwise seems difficult to get more than 3 complete/whole weeks off in a year.. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20200729_082148.jpg
    20200729_082148.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 204

theironroad

Established Member
Apologies for dragging up an old thread. I was just curious about something if there are any LNER drivers on here (or indeed anyone else that happens to know)? Someone posted the attached roster (may have been a different thread as I saved it down).. Do LNER not have any 2 or 1 week blocks off in the roster? Is it just max 4 days, and then (according to the ASLEF website) you only have 9 bookable days? Have I missed something? Otherwise seems difficult to get more than 3 complete/whole weeks off in a year.. Many thanks.

Those are just days off, not annual leave.

I don't work for LNER so don't know exactly what they get.

However, if 9 days is correct, that's individual bookable days of 'ad hoc'.

In addition you will be rostered either 4 or 5 weeks of annual leave. The annual leave roster is usually rotated so everyone gets a good shot at the middle of summer, Christmas etc over the years. You can swap, but only by mutual agreement with another driver or if there is a vacancy slot .

Those annual leave weeks are seasonal , normally 2 in summer and 1 in spring and autumn and other in winter if they offer a fifth week.

Hope that makes some sense.

slidingdoors

Okay yes, thanks a lot. I was looking at the rota assuming it just repeated through the year Like that. And you only got 9 other days to book. I guess that’s the core rota without any of the rostered annual leave weeks on it. Where I am there are fixed leave weeks on the rota that you take when you get to that week, so that’s why I was confused.

whoosh

Established Member
Okay yes, thanks a lot. I was looking at the rota assuming it just repeated through the year Like that. And you only got 9 other days to book. I guess that’s the core rota without any of the rostered annual leave weeks on it. Where I am there are fixed leave weeks on the rota that you take when you get to that week, so that’s why I was confused.

Yes, it must all seem odd if it's all you've known.

At Crossrail and the former Great Eastern part of Greater Anglia, an eight week on, two week off pattern is worked, with the two weeks off being made up of rest days and annual leave.

Everywhere else is as theironroad described.

Sirgerbil

At KGX most days off is 6, you do currently get a SUD then 6 off and SUDs are done on the iPad at home at the moment so I guess you could call that 7.

Leave is 1 week early winter, 3 weeks summer and 1 week late winter with 9 ad hoc. Summer leave starts as early as April and latest end of August.

2 traction’s as standard with chance to learn Tbird / Pilot, we still do nights and depot work.

3 links one of them being spare which new entries over the past year have gone in to. Earliest start 0530 latest finish 0100ish.

That should cover everything

theironroad

Established Member
At KGX most days off is 6, you do currently get a SUD then 6 off and SUDs are done on the iPad at home at the moment so I guess you could call that 7.

Leave is 1 week early winter, 3 weeks summer and 1 week late winter with 9 ad hoc. Summer leave starts as early as April and latest end of August.

2 traction’s as standard with chance to learn Tbird / Pilot, we still do nights and depot work.

3 links one of them being spare which new entries over the past year have gone in to. Earliest start 0530 latest finish 0100ish.

Interesting.

3 weeks summer is good.

What's a SUD?

TTDARL

Also known as a STUD - Safety training update day. Latest rule book changes / updates, TOC policy updates / changes, learning from recent safety of the line incidents, knowledge checks etcetc

theironroad

Established Member
Also known as a STUD - Safety training update day. Latest rule book changes / updates, TOC policy updates / changes, learning from recent safety of the line incidents, knowledge checks etcetc

Cheers, same as our constantly name changing safety day, company day, development day.

Used to be 4 in the roster each year but then cut to 2, then removed from roster altogether and supposedly 2 a year programmed in and rostered from spare on weekly roster sheet.

Wilko5816

While this thread is back up and running, just a quick Question.
What staff travel do Kings Cross drivers get? Starting as a qualified in the next few weeks, and interested to know if they get PTAC for discounted London underground?

Cheers

energyuk

We get free residential travel on Thameslink / Great Northern, unlimited standard on EMR for leisure only, and for non-safeguarded Priv Oyster if you live in Zones 1-6.

TTDARL

We get free residential travel on Thameslink / Great Northern, unlimited standard on EMR for leisure only, and for non-safeguarded Priv Oyster if you live in Zones 1-6.

Do you also get the free staff parking at GTR stations in conjunction with the TL/GN free / reciprocal residential travel?

Last edited:

slidingdoors

Does the priv oyster discount only apply to former NR routes? Like London Overground / TFL Rail? And not the Tube?

energyuk

As far as I'm aware, we do not get free/reduced parking at GTR stations as part of the free residential travel agreement.
The Priv oyster is valid for underground, but not buses, not sure about ex BR lines though.

TTDARL

As far as I'm aware, we do not get free/reduced parking at GTR stations as part of the free residential travel agreement.
The Priv oyster is valid for underground, but not buses, not sure about ex BR lines though.

thanks

PeteJ

Hi,
What do the night shifts consist of and are there many of them or people who swap on to them as a preference?

Hi,
As LNER work a 4.25 day week how does this add up? 5 rostered weeks is 22.5 days leaving 11.5 ad-hoc. I was told 34 days leave, is that correct?

slidingdoors

Hi,
What do the night shifts consist of and are there many of them or people who swap on to them as a preference?

Hi,
As LNER work a 4.25 day week how does this add up? 5 rostered weeks is 22.5 days leaving 11.5 ad-hoc. I was told 34 days leave, is that correct?

if you go a few post up the details are there. 5 weeks leave plus 9 days ad hoc.

Is the London weighing received by Kings Cross drivers dependent on living in London (like the priv oyster is) or is received it regardless?

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member

if you go a few post up the details are there. 5 weeks leave plus 9 days ad hoc.

Is the London weighing received by Kings Cross drivers dependent on living in London (like the priv oyster is) or is received it regardless?

Can't speak for lner but on swr, London weighting is based on the depot you are based at rather than actual living location.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I've always wondered about drivers based at big London stations like King's Cross - do they usually get public transport into work? What about shifts where they're doing the first train of the day, would they drive? Do they have parking at the stations for train staff...?

Crazyb

I've always wondered about drivers based at big London stations like King's Cross - do they usually get public transport into work? What about shifts where they're doing the first train of the day, would they drive? Do they have parking at the stations for train staff...?
If your at Euston you get a taxi in, they also had their own carpark next to the mess room if i can remember, but might have changed now. The same as GTR at Kings X, unless they have stopped it...Not sure for New starters. They also parked in NCP carpark at the X, with a permit.

You did have a sort of all night service on the Thameslink as some drivers came in on that, but if you live on the East Coast or West Coast, you can normally come in on the first train.

Most drivers swap anyway, I did permanent late's or nights...

Years ago, we had staff trains!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.