• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNR new WCML timetable, May 2019 (in open data feeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6007

The LNR timetable is just disastrous full stop. Any disruption just leaves it in pieces. Fortunately I didn't attempt to use it.

They need to revert to a separate service either side of New St - that's the only thing that in my eye will fix it.
I agree with you about the general timetable but beyond that the whole plan for yesterday, particularly south of Northampton, was terrible. And that was before it fell apart due to the various incidents!

There needs to be a sensible emergency timetable for extreme weather days. I'd separate it into many parts, not only splitting at Birmingham but also at Northampton. Persevering with the Trent Valley services is OK but they need to do better for the intermediate stations! Even Northampton suffered badly yesterday, much more than it need have done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidGrain

Established Member
I usually travel Chiltern between Birmingham and London these days, as since I moved house that is more convenient. My experience of first class when I travelled on London Midland was that first class was always full as on the trains leaving Euston about 6.00pm first class was cheaper than standard class. Why, I have no idea but that was the option I was given when booking online.

Tuppenny Tube

One rather undesirable action that now seems to be occurring as a result of this fiasco is the 'non-stopping' of late running services.
On a Monday recently (29 July ?) the late running 0631 Liverpool to Rugeley TV ran non-stop from Crewe to Birmingham New Street in order to regain time.
From RTT I see that, today, 2 Birmingham - Liverpool 'stopping' services (0537 ex Milton Keynes & 0749 ex Euston) have run non-stop from Crewe to Liverpool Lime Street thereby omitting Winsford, Hartford, Acton Bridge (0537 only), Runcorn & South Parkway.
Whilst this might be an acceptable practice in 'commuterland' where services are more frequent I think it is quite deplorable on a line where the stations only have 1 train an hour and, in the case of Acton Bridge only a 2 hourly service. I rather think that anyone wanting the 0816 from Acton Bridge to Liverpool must have been rather annoyed (!) to see the train pass through the Station knowing that the next departure was not until 1016.
Incidentally, when was the last time passenger trains non-stopped Runcorn Station ?

pt_mad

Established Member
Thing is if a train is late and has lost its.path, and thus is looking like it will have a late start for its next journey, then how do you get the train back in its booked slot? Either terminate short and turnaround there, or miss out some stops to get the train back in its path. What else can be done to recover? Otherwise the knock on effect would be that unit is getting later and later on every journey for the rest of the day, and obstructing other trains because it's lost its booked path.

Fundamentally, first thing that can't be gotten away from is having to split and.join a unit every hour either at New St or Wolverhampton. The Euston to Crewe via Birmingham, if it's been agreed with stakeholders or local authorities that it will be permanent, and.you can't stop 8 cars around the Stoke loop, well you're going to have to split and join if you want 8 cars running between Euston and Birmingham. So start with that as a fixed unless anything better can be thought of.

sufian123

Thing is if a train is late and has lost its.path, and thus is looking like it will have a late start for its next journey, then how do you get the train back in its booked slot? Either terminate short and turnaround there, or miss out some stops to get the train back in its path. What else can be done to recover? Otherwise the knock on effect would be that unit is getting later and later on every journey for the rest of the day, and obstructing other trains because it's lost its booked path.

Fundamentally, first thing that can't be gotten away from is having to split and.join a unit every hour either at New St or Wolverhampton. The Euston to Crewe via Birmingham, if it's been agreed with stakeholders or local authorities that it will be permanent, and.you can't stop 8 cars around the Stoke loop, well you're going to have to split and join if you want 8 cars running between Euston and Birmingham. So start with that as a fixed unless anything better can be thought of.

Euston-Crewe via loop was agreed by local council, opposition to not loosing direct link to Euston. LM was going to do it as well.

philthetube

Established Member

This is not the problem of the poster, it is up to the railway to sort.

YOu don't need to cancel a 2 hourly commuter timed service to make it not worth running at all.

pt_mad

Established Member
Euston-Crewe via loop was agreed by local council, opposition to not loosing direct link to Euston. LM was going to do it as well.
In that case theres no away around having a service divide and join every hour to reduce from 8 coaches at Birmingham to 4 for the Stoke loop. It'd have to be done somewhere be it New St or Wolverhampton.

frodshamfella

Established Member
One rather undesirable action that now seems to be occurring as a result of this fiasco is the 'non-stopping' of late running services.
On a Monday recently (29 July ?) the late running 0631 Liverpool to Rugeley TV ran non-stop from Crewe to Birmingham New Street in order to regain time.
From RTT I see that, today, 2 Birmingham - Liverpool 'stopping' services (0537 ex Milton Keynes & 0749 ex Euston) have run non-stop from Crewe to Liverpool Lime Street thereby omitting Winsford, Hartford, Acton Bridge (0537 only), Runcorn & South Parkway.
Whilst this might be an acceptable practice in 'commuterland' where services are more frequent I think it is quite deplorable on a line where the stations only have 1 train an hour and, in the case of Acton Bridge only a 2 hourly service. I rather think that anyone wanting the 0816 from Acton Bridge to Liverpool must have been rather annoyed (!) to see the train pass through the Station knowing that the next departure was not until 1016.
Incidentally, when was the last time passenger trains non-stopped Runcorn Station ?

I have caught the 08.16 from Acton Bridge to Lime Street on a number of occasions and i would not have been amused at all. I am actually using Frodsham to Lime Street more often now as its more frequent, more reliable and cheaper.

pt_mad

Established Member
Given it was likely the Shrewsbury would be doubled to two per hour with possible extra peak Herefords whoever took over, how else would the LNR stuff get enough paths through (Birmingham) without combining services into longer distances ones to save on slots? Especially once it became another proviso that a Euston to Birmingham had to continue onto Crewe every hour with 4 cars max.

Last edited:

sufian123

In that case theres no away around having a service divide and join every hour to reduce from 8 coaches at Birmingham to 4 for the Stoke loop. It'd have to be done somewhere be it New St or Wolverhampton.

original plan was Wolverhampton service to be extended via the wobble, thanks to local council opposition in loosing direct link to Euston. End of day this was the only solution Euston-bhm and spilt 8 cars up. So everyone is happy.

VT 390

Established Member
Do many people from places on loop (such as Stone) actually use the new service to London past Birmingham all the way through?

sufian123

Do many people from places on loop (such as Stone) actually use the new service to London past Birmingham all the way through?

I think they do. Otherwise they wouldn’t petition for to keep it in the first place. MPs support, it’s a permanent thing. They not happy about longer journey times.

VT 390

Established Member
I think they do. Otherwise they wouldn’t petition for to keep it in the first place. MPs support, it’s a permanent thing. They not happy about longer journey times.
If there not happy with the journey times they could always change at Stafford for a faster journey.

sufian123

If there not happy with the journey times they could always change at Stafford for a faster journey.

Connection is crap apparently they say. I have talked with the local, they not happy with it. When they said Euston service is staying, they saying they didn’t repair it be that long.

VT 390

Established Member
Connection is crap apparently they say. I have talked with the local, they not happy with it. When they said Euston service is staying, they saying they didn’t repair it be that long.
Unless I'm missing something the connections southbound are very good and though not as good are still okay northbound.

sufian123

Unless I'm missing something the connections southbound are very good and though not as good are still okay northbound.

Yeah. True. I think that’s why they don’t like it. Sometimes, they said to me via stoke is avoided to make up time. I know it’s to do with crew. Not all drivers and conductors sign via stoke.

aal7

On Wednesday (7th) I needed to travel from Milton Keynes to Euston in the morning (8am) and back in the afternoon. On arrival at MKC there were almost no trains south because of a broken down train between Northampton and MK. When I got back to MKC around 3pm (7 hours later), they were still announcing delays due to an earlier broken down train. It's completely unrecoverable isn't it?

RealTrains07

Established Member
Yeah. True. I think that’s why they don’t like it. Sometimes, they said to me via stoke is avoided to make up time. I know it’s to do with crew. Not all drivers and conductors sign via stoke.
And to think LNR were prepared with military style precision for the new timetable

RealTrains07

Established Member
That’ll be next on the card. so many jobs at stake. I felt sorry for some, single parents I talked too. I like taking the train to stone. Now a days I don’t want to.
Now i no longer have a levels to deal with i avoid trains at stone altogether unless absolute necessary

bionic

That's not how I understand it at all. As I understand it, all services on that particular route are operated by just one depot, and everyone at that depot signs the route. Are you suggesting that they are cross-covering diagrams on the Stoke route with crews from other depots who don't have the route knowledge? I would be very surprised if that was true. My understanding is that it is to do with making up time, as you were told.

MarkWiles

I think every military campaign in history could claim to have bee prepared with precision, but given pretty much every military campaign eventually results in one side winning, it could be argued that some military precision is more precise than others.

I see there have been some yawning gaps in the Rugeley Town service again today although Realtime Trains did show a couple of London services cancelled and what appeared to be a Birmingham starter inserted instead. Is this a glitch in RTT or are WMT having a unit on hot standby now? I also happened to see one cross=city diagram being worked by a "two car" train on the WMR website, presumably a DMU, does this mean the unit diagrams are being adversely affected by the ongoing timetable problems?

sd0733

Established Member
That's not how I understand it at all. As I understand it, all services on that particular route are operated by just one depot, and everyone at that depot signs the route. Are you suggesting that they are cross-covering diagrams on the Stoke route with crews from other depots who don't have the route knowledge? I would be very surprised if that was true. My understanding is that it is to do with making up time, as you were told.
Yes it's all Crewe work as the only guards and drivers to sign it but New Street seem to cover quite regularly which means going via Madeley

sufian123

its true not all crews sign via stoke. When new st is covering they go via fast line from Stafford. That’s why originally was planned to avoid via stoke, if it wasn’t for the opposition from mps and local people. London midland knew it will be difficult for crew diagram as well. It’s to keep local and MPs happy, they have to do it and it’s permanent.

E6007

I see there have been some yawning gaps in the Rugeley Town service again today although Realtime Trains did show a couple of London services cancelled and what appeared to be a Birmingham starter inserted instead. Is this a glitch in RTT or are WMT having a unit on hot standby now? I also happened to see one cross=city diagram being worked by a "two car" train on the WMR website, presumably a DMU, does this mean the unit diagrams are being adversely affected by the ongoing timetable problems?

Due to the overhead line issues at Tile Hill, there was no service between Birmingham NS and Northampton for much of the day. They were running I think near normal services south of Northampton and north of New St until around 17:00. A limited service ran to Birmingham International and between Northampton and Coventry.

Don't know how the northern end fared but Euston end seemed not too bad.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Due to the overhead line issues at Tile Hill, there was no service between Birmingham NS and Northampton for much of the day. They were running I think near normal services south of Northampton and north of New St until around 17:00. A limited service ran to Birmingham International and between Northampton and Coventry.

Don't know how the northern end fared but Euston end seemed not too bad.
Northern side of things not too terrible either except for a lot of cancellations via stoke due to a tree blocking the line south WCML from what i gather and as usual train crew shortages

jfollows

Established Member
Chris Stokes, in the September 2019 edition of Modern Railways, states
According to the grapevine, everyone, including belatedly Abellio, now recognises that the timetable is fundamentally flawed

He also observes that it's especially worrying that this happened after the previous year's timetable fiasco elsewhere.

I'm glad that I no longer need to travel from Wilmslow to Birmingham, because prior to May 2019 I used the Liverpool-Birmingham service which was excellent and reliable. I don't think it is any more.

I feel that in both timetable cases, the people responsible for implementing the timetable either didn't listen to or ignored those who cautioned against the changes, and this thread demonstrates the many valid concerns which were raised. Is that because the people such as the posters here don't count for anything in the eyes of the people running our railways, and that they are convinced that they know better? That's certainly a feeling I get from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.