• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNR new WCML timetable, May 2019 (in open data feeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver_m

Established Member
Yes it does joins and spilts. Coventry sometimes as well

As I’ve already said to @RealTrains07 go on real time trains. Search the times at a particular hour of an average mid day and it will show you there. There is One split and join at New st per hour. There are one off splits at Northampton but not regular ones. Most are through services there. There are terminators at MKC and Tring. You can tell by the start or finish of a service roughly at the same time as a through service on the same platform. There are your clues for splits and joins. The same head code can’t run to two different places one after another. They have to have different head codes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Triumph

Talking of which, I wonder why it's only the Northampton-Euston "pocket timetable" that gets the train lengths printed on it? It'd be useful to have them on all of them. This has been true right back to Silverlink days.
All the London end pocket timetables have the formations mentioned. Only services north of NMP don't.

Silverlinky

So, a few snippets from a release to staff today.....
Most Trent Valley services are strengthened to 8 coaches....the 1546 Euston to Crewe isn't however, as the 1549 to Liverpool via Birmingham gets 8 instead.
5 Services starting from Watford in the morning to run to Euston (as opposed to two now) following the extension of Bay Platform 10, extra two trains Euston to Watford in the evening (1610 and 1704)
More use of 319's, currently five 319 formed services work into Euston, this will increase to eight, however it still looks like 319's will be stabled for most of the day rather than in normal use.
SOUTHBOUND: 0648 MKC-Euston, 0739 Bletchley to Euston, 0753 Bletchley to Euston, 0901 Tring to Euston, 1657 Tring to Euston, 1758 Tring to Euston, 1825 Tring to Euston and 1900 Tring to Euston
NORTHBOUND: 0807 Euston to Tring, 1604 Euston to Tring, 1711 Euston to Tring, 1734 Euston to Tring, 1753 Euston to Northampton, 1811 Euston to Tring, 1854 Euston to Milton Keynes, 1930 Euston to Milton Keynes, 1954 Euston to Northampton.

Established Member
That’s some quality spin, the amount of 12 cars in the extended bay at Watford is a nice round figure...

Tubeboy

NewSo, a few snippets from a release to staff today.....
Most Trent Valley services are strengthened to 8 coaches....the 1546 Euston to Crewe isn't however, as the 1549 to Liverpool via Birmingham gets 8 instead.

Thanks for the update, sadly when I travel up to the Trent Valley, it’s mainly on the 1546....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Almost no 4-car Saturday/Sunday working south of Northampton is probably the biggest gain. I guess they've finally managed to open their wallets enough to get the /2s out?

cle

Established Member
That’s some quality spin, the amount of 12 cars in the extended bay at Watford is a nice round figure...
So will they not be 12 car? Is that because they are 319s - which are rarely run as 12 (TL 12s used to be 377s).

Interesting how Wembley Central has regained regular service over the past few years - hourly Tring and Southern services, plus random peaks and lates. Used to just be lates.

I remember when Queens Park had semi-fast services too, which would surely be very well-used again. It's the best spot to change for the Bakerloo, and many journeys to Central London would be quicker than staying on to Euston.

RealTrains07

Established Member
NewSo, a few snippets from a release to staff today.....

Thanks for the update, sadly when I travel up to the Trent Valley, it’s mainly on the 1546....

So will this 8 car go london - liverpool or will it be another train that splits??

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Noticed adverts today on the big (ghastly) public electronic display opposite Lime St station for the new LNWR services.
They mention new services to Coventry, Rugby, Northampton and Milton Keynes.
But not London.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Noticed adverts today on the big (ghastly) public electronic display opposite Lime St station for the new LNWR services.
They mention new services to Coventry, Rugby, Northampton and Milton Keynes.
But not London.
Perhaps because these are the stations which are more conveniently served by new direct LNR services (bearing in mind all that the only other WCML southbound offering, Virgin, only has 1tph that's last stop Stafford)? They are not stupid - they realise that there is a not insubstantial attraction to a lot of passengers to having direct trains to certain places, even if the journey time is not particularly appealing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perhaps because these are the stations which are more conveniently served by new direct LNR services (bearing in mind all that the only other WCML southbound offering, Virgin, only has 1tph that's last stop Stafford)? They are not stupid - they realise that there is a not insubstantial attraction to a lot of passengers to having direct trains to certain places, even if the journey time is not particularly appealing.

My Dad has already booked (yes, I told him he could buy on the day) on a direct Lime St-Bletchley - it took some explaining as to why there was no direct service the other way!

He prefers a slow direct service than a faster one with changes (and also likes how incredibly cheap it is). This is common with older people - and is the core of the "one a day" National Express through services - which they have also used!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It will be going to London via those destinations. It is on the LNWR website
Yes I know that.
The point is they are not promoting the new service for through Liverpool-London passengers.
It remains to be seen how these trains are posted on the day.
eg posting Reading-Paddington stoppers on the platform/announcer PIS as trains for "Ealing Broadway" at Reading (while the train PIS says Paddington).
Crewe will have 5tph heading for Euston, with all but one being overtaken en route.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes I know that.
The point is they are not promoting the new service for through Liverpool-London passengers.
eg posting Reading-Paddington stoppers on the platform/announcer PIS as trains for "Ealing Broadway" at Reading (while the train PIS says Paddington).

They won't do that, it will confuse the life out of everyone if they do and there is no reason to do it.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
They won't do that, it will confuse the life out of everyone if they do and there is no reason to do it.
I'm just left wondering whether they will be advertising the Crewe-London service as "Euston via Stoke, Birmingham and Northampton" :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm just left wondering whether they will be advertising the Crewe-London service as "Euston via Stoke, Birmingham and Northampton" :lol:

I would expect it to be advertised as Euston via Birmingham, that plus the TOC name is enough to work out it'll be (very) slow and highlights the key other destination.

pt_mad

Established Member
There's a Thameslink stopping service from Peterborough which is advertised as London Kings Cross. So shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Why do people get so obsessed about having false destinations? They are solutions to a near non-existent problem. Most people can cope with having fast and slow trains to the same place...or with boarding a train whose departure time matches what it says on their ticket/the internet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why do people get so obsessed about having false destinations? They are solutions to a near non-existent problem. Most people can cope with having fast and slow trains to the same place...or with boarding a train whose departure time matches what it says on their ticket/the internet.

And if they don't, they still get where they were going, just a bit late.

6026KingJohn

Looking at the new LNR pocket timetable for London-Birmingham. No formations but splits are noted.
Monday-Friday:
Ex Euston: xx15 Crewe/Rugeley split at New Street, xx24 Rugeley (so presumably 4 car), xx49 Liverpool
Ex New Street: xx14 from Rugeley (presume 4 car), xx33 from Liverpool, and Crewe via Stoke, xx54 from Liverpool
So, actually only one split per hour in each direction.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Looking at the new LNR pocket timetable for London-Birmingham. No formations but splits are noted.
Monday-Friday:
Ex Euston: xx15 Crewe/Rugeley split at New Street, xx24 Rugeley (so presumably 4 car), xx49 Liverpool
Ex New Street: xx14 from Rugeley (presume 4 car), xx33 from Liverpool, and Crewe via Stoke, xx54 from Liverpool
So, actually only one split per hour in each direction.

Thats not as bad as i thought. No splits anywhere else then?

6026KingJohn

Must be on a weekend as there are almost no 4s south of Northampton.
Have checked weekend. Saturday is same as Mon-Fri (give or take an odd minute) Sunday appears to revert to separate services. Euston-Birmingham,
Birmingham-Liverpool, Birmingham-Crewe via Stoke.
Rugeley is bus between Rugeley and Walsall then train Walsall-Coventry in the morning, Afternoons train Rugeley-Coventry

pt_mad

Established Member
Thats not as bad as i thought. No splits anywhere else then?
Well it looks like the hourly Rugeley Trent Valley to Birmingham International via New Street terminates at Birmingham International xx55 and then forms the xx18 Birmingham Intl. to Liverpool. That's how it looks to me on real-time trains and from what I can gather from journey planners anyway.

pt_mad

Established Member
Yes I know that.
Crewe will have 5tph heading for Euston, with all but one being overtaken en route.
Have a go on national rail app. Search for trains from Liverpool Lime St to Euston in a months time on a weekday. It shows you two through LNR services every hour with no changes. And if you click to expand the service, it says xxxx from Liverpool Lime St to London Euston for both, even the one which has the ex Crewe joined to it at New St.

Likewise if you check trains from Euston to Rugeley Trent Valley, it shows two direct trains via Birmingham (disregarding the Trent Valley service), and when you click to expand the one which splits at New St, it says London Euston to Crewe and Rugeley Trent Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.