• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LO Class 172?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polla2256

Roumour has it that the exhaust fumes were being sucked into the air con unit therefore creating an unhealthy enviroment inside the train. The unit is now back at Bombardier.

That is the most ridiculous rumor I have ever heard, and I can say categorically that its untrue. :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
did they fix the problem where they couldnt get near to top speed because i heard they couldnt get there

That has never been a problem, they reach 100 mph easily, the criteria is 6 mins but they are getting sub 4 from a standstill from Watford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ukrob

Established Member
With respect, why should be we believe a new member without a source to back up what they are saying, over people who we know work for LO?

The Planner

Veteran Member
That has never been a problem, they reach 100 mph easily, the criteria is 6 mins but they are getting sub 4 from a standstill from Watford.

The test runs they were doing on the Chiltern for a few nights couldnt attain the acceleration quoted or reach the top speed from what I was told. Also that they are going to have to rip out some seats to re-route the exhaust because of the back pressure problem ?? the bogies are apparently getting in the way of any under train modification ??

The sub 4 minute to a ton, are these on the LOROL tests on the overnight WCML paths ?? I'll have to see if I can get some data off the LOROL bods.

swt455

to further the comment on not believing a new member, I would also like to question the usage of the phrase "I can say categorically that its untrue".... that makes no sense. I'd suggest therefore, that the 'rumours' are quite credible.

Back on topic... :D

Can anyone confirm how many class 172 units are now in Willesden?

It's difficult as the couple of times I have been to Bombardier recently, the 172s on view have no numbers!!

Mr Spock

Not sure how many are at Willesden but in the last week or so I usually see 172004-006.

polla2256

to further the comment on not believing a new member, I would also like to question the usage of the phrase "I can say categorically that its untrue".... that makes no sense. I'd suggest therefore, that the 'rumours' are quite credible.

Back on topic... :D

Can anyone confirm how many class 172 units are now in Willesden?

It's difficult as the couple of times I have been to Bombardier recently, the 172s on view have no numbers!!

Sorry for the bad grammar it was my intention to make a statement, but the rumors of exhaust gas and lack of speed are untrue I also stated a 0-100 time of sub 4 mins it is actually sub 5 - 5:19. Currently 172004, 172005 and 172006 are at Willesden with no delivery confirmed for the next units.

As for the exhaust yes I believe the plan is to remove a seat and re-route through the saloon BEC area.
The test runs they were doing on the Chiltern for a few nights couldnt attain the acceleration quoted or reach the top speed from what I was told. Also that they are going to have to rip out some seats to re-route the exhaust because of the back pressure problem ?? the bogies are apparently getting in the way of any under train modification ??

The sub 4 minute to a ton, are these on the LOROL tests on the overnight WCML paths ?? I'll have to see if I can get some data off the LOROL bods.

Sorry for the miss quoted sub 4 mins as I mentioned to another member its sub 5 - 5:19, and yes they are the LOROL units on night runs, data is taken from a standstill out of Watford (line permitting). The LOROL bods don't yet have that data.

Last edited:

David

Established Member
5 Minutes 19 seconds is not sub 5 minutes :?

Seeing as you know all the facts, where as people who work with, or are involved with the 172 delivery and testing appear not to, then I suggest you register on WNXX and tell everyone in this topic exactly what is happening.

Last edited:

Established Member
That is the most ridiculous rumor I have ever heard, and I can say categorically that its untrue. :lol:

Thanks for your considered response to my statement. In future i will not put down what a Driver manager or the drivers that were testing unit 001 tells me.

You are obviously more cleverier then i am and must be an employee of Bombardier to know exactly what is wrong, so in future i will leave any more comments on the 172s down to you!

I will comment no further on this issue.

Aictos

Established Member
This is one thing which I don't like which is so called experts thinking they know the answer to all, I much prefer to hear something from staff who actually work with the various companies involved in the discussed trains as I know that being from the respective company they can quite easily supply evidence to support their words.

I'm not against restricting free discussions on the subjects here but there are people here who are much more knowledgeable in areas then others and others who obviously don't know much or who thinks they know it all should in fact learn to stop and listen carefully which is advice given to me by my old supervisor who I see every now and again which is probably one of the best pieces of advice I've ever been told!

swt455

I'd still have reservations about hearing things from staff. I've heard various members of staff saying all sorts of things before.

I think it's all about people hearing different things, and then passing it on, which is all part of the fun. Then everyone working together to make sense of what is being said.

I just do think that some people don't consider what they've been told / heard before posting it. Everyone has valid points to put accross. At some time or another, everyone is bound to be incorrect.

I think perhaps, the problem here, is the way of presenting information. Therefore, when posting, people need to try and come accross a little less over-bearing and authoritative.

The railway is ever-changing. I have known situations where the 'correct' information can vary from one week to the next.

Anyway, just a small error I guess we can all move on from. :)

Back on the 172s... anyone know where we're up to in terms of number of units with London Overground now?

polla2256

5 Minutes 19 seconds is not sub 5 minutes :?

Seeing as you know all the facts, where as people who work with, or are involved with the 172 delivery and testing appear not to, then I suggest you register on WNXX and tell everyone in this topic exactly what is happening.

Each unit is not identical, the fasted attained is just under 5 mins the latest test was 5:19, I thought it might be obvious, do I need to post OTMR data traces, Iam trying to contribute upfront knowlege attained from direct contact with the units from all phases of the process from build to test and introduction, to any party interested. Is this not a friendly board ? Have I not given good information ?
With respect, why should be we believe a new member without a source to back up what they are saying, over people who we know work for LO?

Newbie boy here has direct access to the units on a daily basis and also interacts with the LO people and has done since the introduction of 378's.
Back on the 172s... anyone know where we're up to in terms of number of units with London Overground now?[/QUOTE]

172004, 172005 and 172006 are at Willesden. 172004 has completed commissioning, 172005 and 172006 are in the process of being commissioned. Can't mention sales dates, wish I could.

Had lots of dates for further delivery but can't give them out and if I were to the dates would change twice that day and the unit wouldn't arrive on the specified day anyway, thats the railway for you. I'll keep everyone updated as to whats due in.
To everyone in the thread I apologise for the quality of my posts, Im new to forums but will try to improve on my posts / reply's.

If there are any questions on 172's I can try to answer them but can't give out anything too sensitive.

TDK

Established Member
Thanks for your considered response to my statement. In future i will not put down what a Driver manager or the drivers that were testing unit 001 tells me.

You are obviously more cleverier then i am and must be an employee of Bombardier to know exactly what is wrong, so in future i will leave any more comments on the 172s down to you!

I will comment no further on this issue.

A little knowledge is dangerous!!!

The 172 has got problems with the exhaust, accelleration and also due to the exhaust system and european emissions rulings on new build the exhaust system is currently out of gauge! Both LOROL and the other prospective operators are not at all happy with the product as it is!!! This is all I know about the 172's, i alosnotice that 313103 has fallen out of his pram oh well it takes all sorts to get the correct answers! This is a forum and I have noticed it takes many posts to getto the correct conclusion on most posts, a lot of it is guessing, 3rd hand info or justfolks trying to pee other folks off!

polla2256

A little knowledge is dangerous!!!

The 172 has got problems with the exhaust, accelleration and also due to the exhaust system and european emissions rulings on new build the exhaust system is currently out of gauge! Both LOROL and the other prospective operators are not at all happy with the product as it is!!! This is all I know about the 172's, i alosnotice that 313103 has fallen out of his pram oh well it takes all sorts to get the correct answers! This is a forum and I have noticed it takes many posts to getto the correct conclusion on most posts, a lot of it is guessing, 3rd hand info or justfolks trying to pee other folks off!

This is correct, I have witnessed the testing but since were told under no uncertain terms should I release the information (that said acceleration wise the units are okay and the issue is with EU legislation on emissions). It really is a shame as the 172 is such a capable unit and many drivers are pleased with it, also I know a certain designer had reservations about the eminox design from the on-set and also that MTU said aim for a design at 60-70mb not 100mb, one day the chiefs will listen to the Indians.

On the topic of service unit 4 or 5 could be in service on the 15th, this could however slip to the 17th.

hick

Anyone need 4x172's? Seems Chiltern don't want there's any more, more loco hauled on the way....

The Planner

Veteran Member
Not heard that Chiltern will bin the 172s (im not sure the EG3 locals will work without them), but they will be bringing in a loco set at the end of the year so they can release 168s for GSM-R work. Before people get excited about it being the re-furbed MkIIIs with plug doors, it isnt, they are standard ones push pulled with 67s and DVT. The re-furbs arent until 2012.

bengley

Established Member
Not heard that Chiltern will bin the 172s (im not sure the EG3 locals will work without them), but they will be bringing in a loco set at the end of the year so they can release 168s for GSM-R work. Before people get excited about it being the re-furbed MkIIIs with plug doors, it isnt, they are standard ones push pulled with 67s and DVT. The re-furbs arent until 2012.

what is GSM-R

hick

Don't want to sound pushy but what is the source of this. Because I have heard this story too.

From at least a few Chiltern staff. Mis specified gearbox and extreme lateness being the reasons I'm hearing. It seems like a sound option if there's a get out clause seeing as though they have access to more loco hauled stock when required.

The Planner

Veteran Member
From at least a few Chiltern staff. Mis specified gearbox and extreme lateness being the reasons I'm hearing. It seems like a sound option if there's a get out clause seeing as though they have access to more loco hauled stock when required.

Yeah, but what will run the Gerrards X stoppers ?? they are based on fast accelerating stock. If they get more loco hauled in, that will only release 168s, and they cant get up to speed quickly for toffee....

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was mentioned on wnxx that the first unit enters service on Saturday on the Gospel Oak to Barking line. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

anthony263

Established Member
It was mentioned on wnxx that the first unit enters service on Saturday on the Gospel Oak to Barking line. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

I haven't heard anything saying that a class 172 wont be entering service this saturday so i can assume that it is going ahead but we will have to see what happens on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.