• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco Hauled Rugby Specials to Coventry Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

azz7008

Wow, what is going on, first Bermuda Park and Coventry Arena stations have now been opened, and now they are even going to run rugby specials!

London Midland and Wasps are delighted to announce the introduction of additional rugby special services on match days. Rugby fans will be able to catch the train to and from Coventry Arena for Wasps games against Harlequins and Leicester Tigers.Rugby special charter trains will run between Coventry and Nuneaton, calling at Coventry Arena on Sunday 28 February and Saturday 12 March.
http://www.londonmidland.com/about-...rugby-specials-1315295?utm_campaign=send_list

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member

nuneatonmark

The price will the normal day return fare from Nuneaton or Coventry although there will be a special offer to include a drink! It's a six coach loco hauled charter, so that should be interesting given that the down platform at Coventry Arena can only hold 3 coaches! Also it will be interesting to see how many runs it will make as it will have to take up a lot of platform time at both Nuneaton and Coventry. Will it be top and tailed to allow easy reversal? As well as Rugby fans won't it also attract a lot of 'rail enthusiasts'?

HLE

Established Member
Well it won't be Coventry drivers working it so over to DB/WRCR!

Unless I've missed something. (Usual for us to be the last to know anything!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone have any idea what stock LM will hire in for these specials?

As nuneatonmark says probably locos and coaches.

Maybe a pair of 172's with a Coventry driver route conducting a Brum driver ?

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Class 67s and mark 2s has been mentioned on other forums.

LesF

Good news, but why only Cov-Nuneaton? Wasps' fans are largely in London and Bucks so a service from Marylebone calling at High Wycombe would seem to justify the charter cost more than just a 12 mile run. No doubt the service will be underwritten by Wasps as LM can't see any return. And where are they to get the drivers on Sundays? Sunday working is voluntary for LM staff and they have often cancelled trains for lack of staff.
The 3 car plat at Arena is no problem if the crossover planned there has been installed; the charter can use the same plat in both directions.

HLE

Established Member
Good news, but why only Cov-Nuneaton? Wasps' fans are largely in London and Bucks so a service from Marylebone calling at High Wycombe would seem to justify the charter cost more than just a 12 mile run. No doubt the service will be underwritten by Wasps as LM can't see any return. And where are they to get the drivers on Sundays? Sunday working is voluntary for LM staff and they have often cancelled trains for lack of staff.
The 3 car plat at Arena is no problem if the crossover planned there has been installed; the charter can use the same plat in both directions.

Part paid by Wasps.
Hmmm Phase 2. Don't hold your breath! Cov City Council said 2017, they must be on drugs, lying or just stupid.

Also LesF, these will be charter trains not run by LM staff

Spot on. No Coventry driver (or guard) signs any other diesel unit or loco except 153's.

Very interesting to see how it goes and what they do with the (double) dogbox whilst the charters are running. Probably omit the stop at the Ricoh and carry on as usual

bnsf734

I have not seen it mentioned on here yet but gen on the Class 67 Yahoo Group and a press release indicates London Midland are planning special trains to serve Coventry Arena when Wasps are playing.

The first train is planned for Sunday 28 February when Waps play Harlequins and the following trains are booked between Nuneaton and Coventry calling at Coventry Arena:

1350 Nuneaton-Coventry
1419 Coventry-Nuneaton
1450 Nuneaton-Coventry
1719 Coventry-Nuneaton
1750 Nuneaton-Coventry
1819 Coventry-Nuneaton
1850 Nuneaton-Coventry

All trains stop at Coventry Arena only.

March 12 2016 is the next planned date according to the press release.

There are no trains showing on Realtimetrains yet but I will check later at Nuneaton station to see if there is any information posted there.

Text from the press relase:

London Midland and Wasps are delighted to announce the introduction of additional rugby special services on match days. Rugby fans will be able to catch the train to and from Coventry Arena for Wasps games against Harlequins and Leicester Tigers.Rugby special charter trains will run between Coventry and Nuneaton, calling at Coventry Arena on Sunday 28 February and Saturday 12 March.

The match day specials will include a six carriage train running between Coventry and Nuneaton stations, stopping at Coventry Arena. The shuttle service will provide an extra 1,000 seats on the route before and after each game.

London Midland and Wasps will also be promoting a special joint ticket that will give rail users a discount at the Arena bars offering a free drink to users of the rugby special train service.This will be available from railway booking offices for on the day ticket purchases.

London Midland’s head of Regional Services, Steven Fisher commented “We listened to fans and stakeholders and made a commitment to look at every possible option. While London Midland has no additional trains for match days, we have hired in charter services to test the idea of running rugby specials.”

Andy Gibb, managing director of Arena Coventry Limited said”The rail station next to the Ricoh Arena is a great asset. With further planned investment rail travel to the stadium will get even easier. We have worked hard with London Midland to find a solution in the short term. We will be doing all we can to raise awareness of the test services and we hope Wasps fans will get on board with the trial.”

London Midland and Wasps will review the operational and commercial performance of the test services before deciding on next steps.

Ends

The London Midland Press Release can be found here:

http://www.londonmidland.com/about-us/latest-news/#/pressreleases/london-midland-and-wasps-to-run-rugby-specials-1315295?utm_campaign=send_list

Last edited:

miami84

Is there any likelyhood that the service will be offered to Coventry City football fans? Or are the rugger types considered a safer bet?

bnsf734

According to the press release Sundays service is a trial operation to see how things work out. I don't think there are any plans to extend it to Coventry City games but who knows...

I didn't see any publicity for the service at Nuneaton station this afternoon but it is mentioned on the London Midland and Wasps websites with no timings. I have not seen anything in the local press either.

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member
I believe Wasps are subsidising the service. Or at least making a contribution towards it. So it would seem highly unlikely the services would run for Coventry games

fgwrich

Established Member
I believe Wasps are subsidising the service. Or at least making a contribution towards it. So it would seem highly unlikely the services would run for Coventry games

That is the main thing, Wasps are part paying for it as I think they've realised it'll be easier to get to via train than the shuttle bus set ups now, and to continuing to restore some of the lost trust in their fans when Wasps moved from High Wycombe to Cov.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I wonder if someone will think to run some of these for the Bruce Springsteen gig this summer at the stadium?

HLE

Established Member

They are indeed!
That is the main thing, Wasps are part paying for it as I think they've realised it'll be easier to get to via train than the shuttle bus set ups now, and to continuing to restore some of the lost trust in their fans when Wasps moved from High Wycombe to Cov.

Yes the shuttle buses will no longer run when the train is in use. From Cov station to the Arena anyway.

If it is 67's it'll be shencker who are operating it then as their drivers are the only ones who sign both route and traction. Interesting to see who they provide as guards as Coventry guards don't sign the traction ....

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
DB will probably provide their own for operational purposes and LM will provide a revenue guard I expect.

the sniper

Established Member
DB will probably provide their own for operational purposes and LM will provide a revenue guard I expect.

I can't see any LM train crew being involved, unless this is to become a more regular thing. How are Guards normally provided for charters?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Internal email states that this will be top and tail locohauled stock with DB Schenker providing Locos and Train Crew.
ECS arrives into Coventry from Bescot at 12:13 tomorrow.
Both Locos will have a driver at each end to meet the very tight timings.
Thanks,
Ross

causton

Established Member
Internal email states that this will be top and tail locohauled stock with DB Schenker providing Locos and Train Crew.
ECS arrives into Coventry from Bescot at 12:13 tomorrow.
Both Locos will have a driver at each end to meet the very tight timings.
Thanks,
Ross

The schedule says 1147 arriving, but who knows (as sometimes some TOCs e.g. CS have told some timings to passengers on their website, and run to those timings, and put a different timing into TRUST) ;)

Will the first one be busy? I think I should be able to do it before work!

XCTurbostar

Established Member
The schedule says 1147 arriving, but who knows (as sometimes some TOCs e.g. CS have told some timings to passengers on their website, and run to those timings, and put a different timing into TRUST) ;)

Will the first one be busy? I think I should be able to do it before work!

The email I read stated that LM & DB Schenker were trying to get the ECS into Coventry earlier but this wasn't in TRUST at the time of writing.

Thanks,
Ross

The Planner

Veteran Member
5 minute turnarounds are tight? It should be nearer 7 as the box time is unlikely to be used.

Established Member
I can't see any LM train crew being involved, unless this is to become a more regular thing. How are Guards normally provided for charters?
LM have no interest and have washed their hands of it - DB guard for train duties only

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
67006 was the only 67 at Bescot when I passed earlier. Any idea what the other one should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.