• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

MiNi

In a word, yes. Class 47 parts are extremely scarce and they have another demic 47, 47501 which will be sent to Margate to replace 47841 in due course.

And 47810 is due out of Arlington any day now in a fresh coat of two-tone green
47810 moving today. Eastleigh-crewe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MiNi

57311 has made its first run in passenger service for LSL today on the Saphos tour.
It did look shiny & new today. But for me it's the sound of the engine that does nothing for me. Now the engine on the rear is a different matter!!!.

Mountain Man

2 day trips for next week have been announced for Fort William to Mallaig. Filling a Jacobite shaped void.....

Rail Quest

2 day trips for next week have been announced for Fort William to Mallaig. Filling a Jacobite shaped void.....
Dunno about everyone else, but I'd actually prefer to do that line behind a 37, rather than a kettle - great line for such a loco to thrash up regularly!

I get the general public and target demographic for the Jacobite would probably disagree of course:lol:

xotGD

Established Member
Dunno about everyone else, but I'd actually prefer to do that line behind a 37, rather than a kettle - great line for such a loco to thrash up regularly!

I get the general public and target demographic for the Jacobite would probably disagree of course:lol:
A 37 on Mark 1 stock, yes. A 37 on a set of air cons is less appealing.

1Q18

As WCRC in their statement were really concerned about the economic shock to the local area, I'm sure Carnforth will be fully behind the Crewe based service to save people from destitution

Killingworth

Established Member
Of course they are, they are all existing paths that will be in the system whether a train uses them or not. I believe even the 'LSL path' is actually the Royal Scotsman path.
Precisely, so there's room for a potentially interesting situation in the Highlands this year.

And yes, it does use the Belmond Royal Scotsman path, which will presumably be available for other specials all year; https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C10996/2024-04-20/detailed

Good variety of prices to get to Mallaig and back!

The_Train

Established Member
A 37 on Mark 1 stock, yes. A 37 on a set of air cons is less appealing.
A 37 on any sort of coaching stock is better than nothing at all. We can't be overly picky these days (unless you're a regular poster on WNXX where they think it's still the 1970s :lol: )

Mountain Man

Biggest snags with this are the short notice and long trip to Fort William. If there's a buffet aboard it won't help businesses in Mallaig too much with a 40 minute stop. There's not a lot else to do in Mallaig.

Still room for the 2 West Coast trains.

Rail Advent report here,;
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/0...run-on-scotlands-jacobite-line-next-week.html
It's the message that it sends rather than the specifics. Given the local economy is so important to WCRC then a company seeking to help will surely receive their full support.....?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a reminder this thread is for discussing the locomotives and rolling stock used by Locomotive Services Ltd (LSL)

fgwrich

Established Member
Some sense appears to have happened as 10212? Has appeared outside Eastleigh Works in a fresh coat of Intercity. Nice to see a big RFM join the rake alongside the ex GA Micro Buffets.

alexl92

Established Member
Away from the West Highland Line, it strikes me that LSL will soon have a really large pool of steam locos available - as well as their in-house fleet which I think is currently 61306, 46100, 34046, 45231 and 70000, they've also got 60532 coming back, 60007 and soon 71000. Are there any plans for them to set up a second steam-hauled rake to allow them to utilise their fleet more fully? Seems like they may struggle to keep their fleet fully utilised unless they're using coach sets from another operator?

1Q18

Away from the West Highland Line, it strikes me that LSL will soon have a really large pool of steam locos available - as well as their in-house fleet which I think is currently 61306, 46100, 34046, 45231 and 70000, they've also got 60532 coming back, 60007 and soon 71000. Are there any plans for them to set up a second steam-hauled rake to allow them to utilise their fleet more fully? Seems like they may struggle to keep their fleet fully utilised unless they're using coach sets from another operator?
Of these I know that 60007, 70000, 60532 and 71000 are either in the last stages of overhaul or have entered traffic relatively recently.. I'm guessing at least one or two of the rest must be approaching overhaul time fairly soon?

12LDA28C

Established Member

They don't really have any spare stock and don't forget that the 37-hauled DBSO set was used for two days only as a trial to determine the level of demand and no decision has yet been made if this will resume or not.

Rail Quest

A thought crossed my mind on this topic - could LSL not start using their steam fleet actively on Statesman pullman duties? Perhaps similar to how the Northern belle is currently getting haulage behind kettles quite frequently. Surely combining a luxury Pullman set with Britannia or the likes would attract a larger audience?

I feel like LSL specifically market the Statesman as diesel hauled - their Stuart's were advertising it as such when I was last on a Saphos tour last year, but I'm not sure why they'd limit it to diesels.

My best guess as to why kettles aren't used on the Statesman is the increased operational costs not being offset by increase in revenue though I'm not sure