• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

Domh245

Established Member
The powercars have, for those unaware as to why the yellow ends have gone, been fitted with a new top headlight in addition to the original clusters.

Worth noting that whilst the clusters are the same as they went to Eastleigh with (ish - the taillights have been blanked out in addition to being painted blue) the lamps have also been changed out for more modern lamps too. The headlights are the same "retina burner" types as found on 700s and 80x, ditto the markers being changed out for modern LED versions

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
Saw a short form ex EMT HST pass Weaver Jct going North this morning around 09.00 then later pass Winsford going South, any ideas what it was doing?

Veteran Member
RTT tells me the TOC was Locomotive Services and it did Crewe-Carnforth Loop-Rugby-Crewe. But it doesn't say why :(

Darandio

Established Member
They are still doing driver training for the Pullman HST. This picture was yesterday but I imagine it's what you saw.

Elecman

Established Member
They are still doing driver training for the Pullman HST. This picture was yesterday but I imagine it's what you saw.

Yes that’s the one

fgwrich

Established Member
Well yes, you got a problem with that?
A number of other enthusiasts seemed to as well, we all put 2 & 2 together (set being delivered to Crewe and pre-tour training runs scheduled) but must have got 5.

I don't think it helped that the likes of RailCam etc where all promoting these training runs last week as "Blue Pullman Test Runs".

On Moderation
Worth noting that whilst the clusters are the same as they went to Eastleigh with (ish - the taillights have been blanked out in addition to being painted blue) the lamps have also been changed out for more modern lamps too. The headlights are the same "retina burner" types as found on 700s and 80x, ditto the markers being changed out for modern LED versions
The marker and tail lights were LED before, but the whole lighting system has been upgraded to meet the TSI requirements, which is what allows them to dispense with the yellow ends.

The HST training train (Crewe - Carnforth - Rugby - Crewe) was two de-branded EMT power cars and four ex-GWR trailers.
https://flic.kr/p/2k2D5uD (not my photo)
They're not EMT power cars. They are LSL power cars.

Domh245

Established Member
The marker and tail lights were LED before, but the whole lighting system has been upgraded to meet the TSI requirements, which is what allows them to dispense with the yellow ends.

Sloppy wording on my half to call them modern LED versions. The existing ones were LEDs (albeit pretty old ones that I think even used coloured 'lenses'?) but they've been completely replaced by new marker lamps capable of showing both white and red on the same unit. Like you say, upgraded lighting system but wholesale replacement of individual components - the only bit carried over is the light surround/cluster and even that's been modified

Mollman

Established Member

They're not EMT power cars. They are LSL power cars.

Sorry I should have put de-branded ex-EMT power cars

Jamesrob637

Established Member
RTT tells me the TOC was Locomotive Services and it did Crewe-Carnforth Loop-Rugby-Crewe. But it doesn't say why :(

I saw it in Crewe Tuesday morning around 8am and caught a very bad photo (see below)20201103_080907.jpg

The Blue Pullman set (reported as above) returned in daylight to Eastleigh yesterday for some additional work. First passenger HST through Sonning cutting for some time..

5Z36 06:32 Crewe H.S - Eastleigh Arlington

DB

For those interested, the full rake of IC coaches used on the "Royal Scot 2" charter on Saturday was 10416, 11068, 11070, 11087, 10411, 11076, 11098 & 82139 (behind 90002).

Have the two buffets been fitted with first-class seats?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
For those interested, the full rake of IC coaches used on the "Royal Scot 2" charter on Saturday was 10416, 11068, 11070, 11087, 10411, 11076, 11098 & 82139 (behind 90002).

Almost reminiscent of a West Coast Express in the 90s and maybe early 00s. Though the chances of seeing no Virgin livery anywhere in the consist were fairly low after 2001.

CaldicotHalt

I have a couple of questions regarding heritage train drivers. Yesterday LSL had 2 excursions, the Midland Pullman from St Pancras to Crewe and an electric from London to Glasgow.
My questions are, do LSL have their own drivers or do they use drivers from various other companies? And if they do use their own, do they have to learn all the routes?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I have a couple of questions regarding heritage train drivers. Yesterday LSL had 2 excursions, the Midland Pullman from St Pancras to Crewe and an electric from London to Glasgow.
My questions are, do LSL have their own drivers or do they use drivers from various other companies? And if they do use their own, do they have to learn all the routes?
Yes and yes.
They are gradually putting together a team of professional drivers. One of the online photos of the HST in bright sunlight showed the guy in the driving seat to be the head LSL traincrew honcho. I believe the other guy in the cab was a former driver colleague of his from their former depot.

Steve14

A rake of Mk3s headed down to Eastleigh today with traction provided by 47593 + 47501 : 41167, 41160, 41166, 41187, 40804, 44081, 41169.
Saw it roll passed my house, a mixture of liveries (GWR Green, First Great Western ‘Barbie’ livery, rear leading coach was the pullman! Paint work looked fantastic, Eastleigh lot done a fantastic job on it for sure.

43 302

Established Member
Saw it roll passed my house, a mixture of liveries (GWR Green, First Great Western ‘Barbie’ livery, rear leading coach was the pullman! Paint work looked fantastic, Eastleigh lot done a fantastic job on it for sure.
Highly doubt any of them were in Barbie!

DB

Highly doubt any of them were in Barbie!

No, nothing in Barbie for a few years now (last ones were some buffets which got converted to TSs. He no doubt means 'wiggly lines' or whatever it's called!

palmersears

Established Member
A rake of Mk3s headed down to Eastleigh today with traction provided by 47593 + 47501 : 41167, 41160, 41166, 41187, 40804, 44081, 41169.
There are whisperings that this stock is destined for use on this summer's Staycation Express, sandwiched between some HSTs...

Whistler40145

Established Member
There are whisperings that this stock is destined for use on this summer's Staycation Express, sandwiched between some HSTs...
Would make far more sense to use a dedicated HST for the Staycation Express, thus making locomotives available for other duties

DB

Anyone know whethet 10411 has been re-seated with first class seats? Poster above says not, but this month's Rail Express says yes.