• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think they were right to apply the livery as essentially a 'blue stripe' adaptation of the Mainline scheme. Yellow lower cab sides would look quite incongruous on a loco with a long nose.

Yes I think you’re probably right actually.

The_Train

Established Member
Do LSL have any steam compatible CDL stock they can rent to west coast?
There is absolutely no way LSL will be helping WCRC. In fact, I would imagine Mr Hosking to be sat rubbing his hands together at what is going on at Carnforth and very much ready to take over their operations, particularly the Jacobite!

bleeder4

There is absolutely no way LSL will be helping WCRC. In fact, I would imagine Mr Hosking to be sat rubbing his hands together at what is going on at Carnforth and very much ready to take over their operations, particularly the Jacobite!
Indeed, I bet his 2024 is getting off to one of the best starts he could have imagined. Even were LSL and WCR on talking terms, I don't think there would be any chance of a lending agreement. LSL only have one rake of compliant Mk1s and that's tied up in both Saphos and Steam Dreams operations, so there's no capacity for other uses.

D6130

Established Member
Didn't one or more 37 carry almost the same livery (Regional Railways) back in the 1990s for Cambrian, North Wales and Valleys services?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Didn't one or more 37 carry almost the same livery (Regional Railways) back in the 1990s for Cambrian, North Wales and Valleys services?
There were several Regional Railways liveried 37/4s - 414, 418, 420, 421, 422, 425 and 429, plus 37427 with 'SCOTRAIL' insignia on the RR livery. Dark blue upper body instead of dark grey, silver grey lower bodyside instead of executive light grey, and the 'fleximark' on the cabsides at the end of the Provincial light blue stripe. The stripes on Regional Railways livery also sat lower on the bodyside.

alexl92

Established Member
Indeed, I bet his 2024 is getting off to one of the best starts he could have imagined. Even were LSL and WCR on talking terms, I don't think there would be any chance of a lending agreement. LSL only have one rake of compliant Mk1s and that's tied up in both Saphos and Steam Dreams operations, so there's no capacity for other uses.
Given their massive investment in their Mk1, 2, 3a and Mk3 HST stock, I’m surprised that a second mk1 rake hasn’t been a priority to increase capacity.

ginge8991

Noticed on a vid of 37401 and 402 hauling the NR 73/9s from the SVR, both 37s are now minus their nameplates?

The_Train

Established Member

fishwomp

Realtime Trains | 5Z82 1020 Crewe H.S. to Southall Loco Services Ltd | 04/02/2024
Real-time train running information for 5Z82 1020 departure from Crewe H.S. to Southall Loco Services Ltd on 04/02/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.
www.realtimetrains.co.uk www.realtimetrains.co.uk

Also had 2x20s and some coaching stock; did not catch which 20s they were.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
I very much doubt Mr Hosking is directly involved at all.

12LDA28C

Established Member
LSL are in the process of creating a (short) second Midland Pullman HST set which will be used on a series of weekend tours to Fort William and Mallaig this summer, marketed as the 'West Highland Pullman', featuring a 2+5 HST set with 2 coaches for FC non-dining, 2 coaches of FC full dining and a kitchen car. Tickets to go on sale very shortly.

aem7ac

LSL are in the process of creating a (short) second Midland Pullman HST set which will be used on a series of weekend tours to Fort William and Mallaig this summer, marketed as the 'West Highland Pullman', featuring a 2+5 HST set with 2 coaches for FC non-dining, 2 coaches of FC full dining and a kitchen car. Tickets to go on sale very shortly.
Looking to scoop up some of the would-be Jacobite traffic, I suppose.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Looking to scoop up some of the would-be Jacobite traffic, I suppose.

The Jacobite, which is advertised as running for the 2024 season and selling well as I understand it. No reason why it shouldn't run as long as CDL-fitted stock is used.

aem7ac

The Jacobite, which is advertised as running for the 2024 season and selling well as I understand it. No reason why it shouldn't run as long as CDL-fitted stock is used.
My bad - I had understood it as the Jacobite would not be running for 2024 because of the CDL issue.

Rail Quest

Sounds interesting! Does this mean they're finally finding use for the ex-Staycation HST locos and stock or are they forming this with the existing midland pullman stock? I'm assuming the former perhaps?

Iskra

Established Member
That’s an interesting venture, I hope it succeeds and I might even go for the ride depending on pick up points :)

Sounds interesting! Does this mean they're finally finding use for the ex-Staycation HST locos and stock or are they forming this with the existing midland pullman stock? I'm assuming the former perhaps?
I was told last year they were using the Staycation set as a back-up Midland Pullman set, so I would assume that has come to fruition

12LDA28C

Established Member
My bad - I had understood it as the Jacobite would not be running for 2024 because of the CDL issue.

I believe WCRC has a rake of Mk2s fitted with CDL or there is the option to hire in stock, eg from Riviera if necessary

The existing MP set will still be in use and indeed has a full program of tours planned for 2024.

That’s an interesting venture, I hope it succeeds and I might even go for the ride depending on pick up points :)

The tours have now gone live today on the website:

bleeder4

It's great news. I was disappointed to see the three day Scottish tours weren't in their programme this year when it went live in November. Apparently it was influenced by the storm-related closure of the West Highland Line on the very first day of their final three day tour last year, which caused them to take a hefty financial hit. I did two of them last year - the Fort William/Mallaig one and the Inverness/Kyle one, so will definitely be booking on one of them again this year. There are even days where both sets are both out at once eg 18th October.

Any news on the Peak?
I was told something the other day that may well be me adding 2 and 2 and making 45 BUT, the quote was that the WSR gala in early June as well as the home fleet and already announced 50033 that 2 class 20s and a 16 wheeled loco all from the same location are due to attend. These will bring themselves in so not being dragged i can't think of anywhere else but Crewe has those three together, LSL do have a good relationship with the line as they keep kettles there for the summer season, they have 4?? 20s now to pick from as well as access to 40013 if the 45 isn't ready also the 45 being seen moving around at a gala would be a good advert for the alleged summer tours, I did say this hypothesis to the person who told me and although he didn't say I was right he also didn't say I was wrong