• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

I agree, and I did feed that back. They are already taking a 40 to Skegness, so hopefully they may rethink.
Fully agree, there's plenty of places that haven't seen 20s for far longer than Skegness, I get the historical connection but change is good sometimes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
would Skeggy not be the traditional location for a class 20 trip? Some of us have done it by service train obviously ;)
I'll have to dig out my old 35mm shots and get nostalgic :D
I did one Skegness round trip behind a pair of Choppers.
Another pair took me to Scarborough (albeit that wasn't on a timetabled service train, I was on "The Vladivostok Avoider").

12LDA28C

Established Member
would Skeggy not be the traditional location for a class 20 trip? Some of us have done it by service train obviously ;)

Indeed it would but I don't think you'll find too many people clamouring for a trip to the coastal 'resort' - most consider it a dump and that's being polite. It certainly hasn't improved since the early 1990s.

D6130

Established Member
would Skeggy not be the traditional location for a class 20 trip? Some of us have done it by service train obviously
Back in the day, double-headed class 20-hauled excursions would not have been unheard of to destinations such as Balloch, Helensburgh, Largs, Girvan, North Berwick,etc. While I realise that these places are no longer accessible to loco-hauled trains without another loco on the rear, it could possibly be done that way. How about Stranraer once the Ayr station hotel saga is finally concluded?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Indeed it would but I don't think you'll find too many people clamouring for a trip to the coastal 'resort' - most consider it a dump and that's being polite. It certainly hasn't improved since the early 1990s.
it is grotty to a Great Yarmouth level. Awful. However, I suspect it is an operationally easy location to run a special train to.

Iskra

Established Member
it is grotty to a Great Yarmouth level. Awful. However, I suspect it is an operationally easy location to run a special train to.
There’s already a class 40 and HST going to Skegness this year, surely that’s enough?

Scarborough, the North Wales Coast or North West Coast* would be better options. I’d like something Scottish, but can appreciate the logistical difficulties of doing that with 20’s, although LSL did manage it a couple of years back.

*Not Blackpool though :D

12LDA28C

Established Member
There’s already a class 40 and HST going to Skegness this year, surely that’s enough?

Scarborough, the North Wales Coast or North West Coast* would be better options. I’d like something Scottish, but can appreciate the logistical difficulties of doing that with 20’s, although LSL did manage it a couple of years back.

*Not Blackpool though :D

Llandudno would be quite popular, and a traditional destination for 20s.

What about a nice trundle down the heart of Wales with a break at Swansea back via Marches id be well up for that and then the lower speed wouldn't matter so much

D6130

Established Member
What about a nice trundle down the heart of Wales with a break at Swansea back via Marches id be well up for that and then the lower speed wouldn't matter so much
Railtours and excursions on that circuit usually run via the Swansea District line and have a break in Cardiff....otherwise they have to run-round twice - at Llanelli (or Carmarthen) and Swansea.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The attached path - LSL Horsham to Bristol TM this Saturday - is on Realtime Trains, so does any forum reader know what it is for?
Thanks in advance.
It's a Steam Dreams trip

D365

Veteran Member
Thanks, that is interesting - I haven't been on an LSL tour as I don't like the political position of the owner.
Unfortunately not a lot of choice when it comes to the railtour market…

Iskra

Established Member
Now would probably be a great time for some more LSL tours in the Intercity brand to take advantage of LSL’s more compliant rolling stock situation, they could hoover up a few other Railtours companies customers if done right.

Can you run a class 20 ( chopper , H-Bomb or other names! ) train with one at each end?
While it’s physically possible, I’m not sure about the train heating/electric supply situation with that, I’m sure someone more knowledgeable can clarify…

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
While it’s physically possible, I’m not sure about the train heating/electric supply situation with that, I’m sure someone more knowledgeable can clarify…
The 20/9s were originally run top and tailed and multiple worked through remote control, I believe, so it has been done but locos need to be modified unless stick through blue star fitted.
A number of rakes come with their own generator van so train supply not an issue, if one is included.

Bill57p9

Back in the day, double-headed class 20-hauled excursions would not have been unheard of to destinations such as Balloch, Helensburgh, Largs, Girvan, North Berwick,etc. While I realise that these places are no longer accessible to loco-hauled trains without another loco on the rear, it could possibly be done that way. How about Stranraer once the Ayr station hotel saga is finally concluded?
LSL took their green pair to Stranraer a couple of ago, with 47 on the other end to avoid run rounds and provide hotel power.

20s could top & tail with either manual multiple working or modified stock (the latter unlikely to happen).
Still need a generator somewhere though.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
I’m going on said trip on Saturday. Due to be hauled by Mayflower on the outward journey and then diesel hauled on the return.

Ben
At the risk of going OT. Do you know what's happened to LSL's locos for today's tour?
RTT data suggests the originating ECS is currently 2 1/4 hours late and that the actual tour (dep Horsham 08:14) won't see the inbound stock arrive until 10:21.

Last edited:

Mollman

Established Member
At the risk of going OT. Do you know what's happened to LSL's locos for today's tour?
RTT data suggests the originating ECS movement is more than two hours late and that the actual tour hasn't started from Horsham yet.
National Rail report points failure near Clapham junction
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service-disruptions/clapham-high-street-20240420/

Route(s) affected​

between Clapham Junction and Denmark Hill

Description​

Due to a points failure between Clapham Junction and Surrey Quays all lines are currently closed. As a result, trains will be cancelled or revised.

Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

acmw421

The empty coaching stock working got beyond there, as far as Streatham, seemingly nearly right time. At Streatham, I think it had halted at the signals that protect the Streatham/Streatham Common spur. I heard it set off, but it then came to a stop just beyond the next signal (possibly protecting Streatham North Junction?). The train sat there for twenty minutes or so before I saw one of the train staff put a red tail lamp on the Mayflower's lamp bracket (visible below). It then headed back in the other direction with Mayflower on the rear. Mayflower.jpg

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Thanks - it was working hard to make time, when it passed me on the South Coast. Photo on Post #117 of this thread:

Future

Does anyone know if 45118 is still due to move from Barrow Hill before this month is out? Not yet any paths in the system as far as I can see but I understand it’s finished and ready to go now.

Well there is a rumour I've heard that it MAY be attending a gala in the middle of May, and I'm not saying anymore about that