• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Limited Railtour Programme 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

It must be worrying for the tour operators having to keep an eye on any potential restriction changes for those tours which go across the border into Wales or Scotland.

The Electric Scot could end up being like that Scottish charter trip in December 2020 which was allowed to go into Glasgow Central but passengers weren't allowed to alight from the train as it returned to Carlisle before the passengers could have a long break (and the stock serviced)

Certainly would be. I'd imagine the Carlisle plan B this time would be a very last resort option, albeit better for many than a full cancellation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Certainly would be. I'd imagine the Carlisle plan B this time would be a very last resort option, albeit better for many than a full cancellation.
Could avoid Scotland altogether if needed and head along the Tyne Valley to Newcastle with a 47 dragging.

bleeder4

It depends whether the border closes. As long as travel is still allowed between the two countries then I imagine it will still go ahead. LSL have always claimed that their trains are "hospitality" rather than "public transport". LSL-operated trains are currently the only ones in which you're not required to wear a facemask whilst sitting at your seat. All the other railtour and mainline TOCs require them to be worn all the time.

It depends whether the border closes. As long as travel is still allowed between the two countries then I imagine it will still go ahead. LSL have always claimed that their trains are "hospitality" rather than "public transport". LSL-operated trains are currently the only ones in which you're not required to wear a facemask whilst sitting at your seat. All the other railtour and mainline TOCs require them to be worn all the time.

Ironically on the latter point a few railtours in the autumn saw a great many Scots who were well aware they were under tighter rules on board their trains with most folk keeping the food/snacks and drink out on the table for most of the time they were on board although with on board meal availability and picnics for other folk hospitality rules could be applied certainly. This was the theme for over 95% of the passengers and on that front plus the fact they loosely followed their rules and guidance. About 90% wore masks for boarding and alighting at some stations and a slightly lower number moving about on the train. In essence what I saw was much along the same lines as LSL, albeit that promoter outlined in literature and the tannoy what legislation at that time requested of those on board. The train was predominately 50 to 90 age range too and were mostly happy with a pub/restaurant level of rules essentially.

Iskra

Established Member

bleeder4

Splashed out 175 quid for the S&C Statesman this Saturday, as it's from my local station Worcester Shrub Hill. I figure the all day circular trips like this one represent the best value for money, rather than the short jaunts. A 13 hour train trip for £175, with first class seating, unlimited tea/coffee and pastries/cakes provided. It doesn't sound quite so bad when you say it like that.

Iskra

Established Member
Splashed out 175 quid for the S&C Statesman this Saturday, as it's from my local station Worcester Shrub Hill. I figure the all day circular trips like this one represent the best value for money, rather than the short jaunts. A 13 hour train trip for £175, with first class seating, unlimited tea/coffee and pastries/cakes provided. It doesn't sound quite so bad when you say it like that.
I think you're absolutely right, a long day is usually much better value but also if you can find a tour starting from close to home that helps a lot too- and you look to have managed both :)

james60059

That sounds fab. Hope you enjoy :smile:

Iskra

Established Member
My tickets for the Electric Scot arrived today, and interestingly in the passenger information there is a request for passengers to not use their mobile phones in the saloons. Not something I’ve seen before on a tour!

One of the benefits of using Mk3’s is that there are phone charging sockets, which is ideal on longer tours.

My tickets for the Electric Scot arrived today, and interestingly in the passenger information there is a request for passengers to not use their mobile phones in the saloons. Not something I’ve seen before on a tour!

One of the benefits of using Mk3’s is that there are phone charging sockets, which is ideal on longer tours.

With Statesman sub managing things for LSL on the customer service side and ticketing side and its main pre LSL director still in charge that is little surprise. Their right, but I would have thought "showing consideration for others" or simply not shouting Dom Jolly style (see Oxley Mk2 sketch from over 20 years ago).

_toommm_

Established Member

Id presume/hope they mean not taking phone calls. I very much doubt they’d want to enforce people simply unlocking and using their smartphones.

theblackwatch

Established Member
With Statesman sub managing things for LSL on the customer service side and ticketing side and its main pre LSL director still in charge that is little surprise. Their right, but I would have thought "showing consideration for others" or simply not shouting Dom Jolly style (see Oxley Mk2 sketch from over 20 years ago).
Are you allowed to bring fish & chips on board? :lol:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
interestingly in the passenger information there is a request for passengers to not use their mobile phones in the saloons.
I doubt they would be too keen on them being used in the vestibules either. I wonder if the 'inter-city' experience should include a 1990s style phone cubicle in one of the coaches.

Iskra

Established Member
They are right, but it is of course a total non issue that didn't need any rule's implementing to deal with. Who ever had their railtour spoilt by someone being on the phone constantly? Now they've introduced that rule, I can imagine death stares for taking a 2 min phone call, that's actually probably less annoying than forcing the person next to you to stand up, so you can egress and take the call in a noisy vestibule where you will need to raise your voice to be heard...

Are you allowed to bring fish & chips on board? :lol:
No rules against it and I've seen takeaway food many a time. Interestingly, speaking of banned items; no mention of it being a dry train this time either...

I doubt they would be too keen on them being used in the vestibules either. I wonder if the 'inter-city' experience should include a 1990s style phone cubicle in one of the coaches.
They are promoting people making phone calls in the vestibules. Quiet carriage anyone?

Definitely not. Especially not at Kingswear or other well appointed resorts. Great Yarmouth?
There are no seagulls to contend with on the train... ;)

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
No rules against it and I've seen takeaway food many a time. Interestingly, speaking of banned items; no mention of it being a dry train this time either...
In case you, or anyone else, thought I may be wondering if 'one of each' (a northern term for fish & chips for the uninitiated!) might not be allowed on InterCity charters, this was a reference to Statesman Rail, where, in the past at least, bringing on a takeaway met with disapproval.

bleeder4

It's just the standard LSL text they put in the passenger information for all their brands. It's the same guide, just with the logo changed. My Statesman ticket for last Saturday said the same thing yet people were watching a football match on their phones. I'm not a football person but apparently there was a match on Saturday!

Iskra

Established Member
It's just the standard LSL text they put in the passenger information for all their brands. My Statesman tickets for last Saturday said the same thing yet people were watching a football match on their phones. I'm not a football person but apparently there was a match on Saturday!
Did you have a good tour?

bleeder4

Did you have a good tour?
Yeah I did thanks. 500 miles with double-headed class 47s, and just a 10 minute walk home at the end of of the day. I think I was the only enthusiast on board though, as expected on a Statesman trip it was primarily normal people just wanting a nice day out through stunning scenery. Excellent service from the on board staff, really can't fault anything to be honest.

Iskra

Established Member
Yeah I did thanks. 500 miles with double-headed class 47s, and just a 10 minute walk home at the end of of the day. I think I was the only enthusiast on board though, as expected on a Statesman trip it was primarily normal people just wanting a nice day out through stunning scenery. Excellent service from the on board staff, really can't fault anything to be honest.

Fantastic to hear and the 47's looked stunning in the pictures I have seen :)

Iskra

Established Member
I’m sat at Preston awaiting the Electric Scot, and it seems to have stopped at Hartford, with the PIS here just saying ‘delayed…’

I did think it was a risk not sticking a 47 on the back of this tour in case there were any issues…

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m sat at Preston awaiting the Electric Scot, and it seems to have stopped at Hartford, with the PIS here just saying ‘delayed…’

I did think it was a risk not sticking a 47 on the back of this tour in case there were any issues…
Putting a 47 would limit the trip to 95mph instead of the timetabled 110

Iskra

Established Member
Putting a 47 would limit the trip to 95mph instead of the timetabled 110
I see your point, but surely it’s better to get there at 95mph though, than not make it at all or clog up the WCML when it loses its path. No different to a Steamer capable of 100mph being limited to doing 75mph is it really.

At least it is stopped fairly close to Crewe though if another loco is required

7CC42F44-331D-4EF0-B80E-55961A553B93.jpegOn the move now!

Last edited:

XAM2175

Established Member
Well it's just left Carlisle at +51 so it doesn't appear to have lost any more time.

I was already planning to pop down to Central to see it come back from Polmadie at around 1520 so hopefully those times aren't impacted.

Tap changer fault with the 87 apparently.

Reminds me of the old days. It would have been quite authentic for the later period to have a 47 slapped onto the front to drag it very late running to the blocks (many similar happy events in the last 5 years especially), but glad for the sake of those on board they get their 87 still and it's on the move.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Reminds me of the old days. It would have been quite authentic for the later period to have a 47 slapped onto the front to drag it very late running to the blocks (many similar happy events in the last 5 years especially), but glad for the sake of those on board they get their 87 still and it's on the move.
I didn't think 87s were unreliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.