• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locos and units you didnt like and still dont miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No way, those were great, used to sit right at the front above the motors and BR MK1 bogie, windows open, made a great noise in Sevenoaks tunnel.

Well I miss them now - always nostalgic walking through the CEP carriage on a thumper tour. Always preferred the thumper carriages for the rest of the tour though !

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Back on topic; I won't miss the 458s with their hideous Desiro ends - worse than the original Class 455/8's...

The original 458s ends were an abomination, like a couple of cheap wardrobe doors crudely fixed on to the carriage; I think the 450-type ends are a decided improvement.

On Moderation
The original 458s ends were an abomination, like a couple of cheap wardrobe doors crudely fixed on to the carriage; I think the 450-type ends are a decided improvement.
They were, but would have looked a lot better if a black band had been painted between the cab windows. It was suggested by Ian Walmsley (at the time of Porterbrook Leasing) and mocked up at Washwood Heath, as shown on Ian's website. For whatever reason, SWT didn't go for it, it was certainly a big improvement. :rolleyes:

P12%208004%20Livery%20Washwood%20Heath.jpg

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The original 458 end reminds me somewhat of "Marvin The Paranoid Android" from the "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" TV series.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The original 458 end reminds me somewhat of "Marvin The Paranoid Android" from the "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" TV series.

You know I can kind of see that, not that it makes the design any more appealing. I get that they wanted to have a gangway connection but did hiding it behind doors really improve the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.