• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge - new timetable during reconstruction works commencing 5th January 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Today's 1933 London Bridge to Horsham service missed a stop at New Cross Gate. The conductor announced the omission, indicating that the driver simply forgot to stop. Is this pedicle? I presumed that in the case of a scheduled stop there would be a red signal at the end of the platform that prevented passage. Does passing through not trigger an automated stop? Feel sorry for those who had to continue to Norwood Jct and take a stopper back!

Signals often clear before the train arrives at the platform. In the case of New Cross Gate on the Down Fast line where that train usually stops, it is fairly unusual (but by no means impossible) for the signal not to have cleared before the train arrives. Likewise at very many other stations in the area which have platform starter signals (not all do).

It is possible that the driver forgot to stop, but probably equally likely that the diagram (schedule card) omitted it due to a printing error, or there was an instruction not to stop (eg. due to a serious disturbance on the platform), or... well, you name it. It is unlikely the public will ever be made aware of the exact reason. If the driver did forget, the action taken would probably very much depend on their past record, but may be as simple as a few actions taken as part of a professional development plan, or a "ride-out" (accompanied drive with a manager/instructor) to check all is well. The train was not stopped and there is no automated stop unless there is some other safety issue (red signal, driver unconscious, etc.).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FOH

Very poor regulation of services into LBG this morning, our service easily missed PPM and must've stopped at most signals between NXG and LBG - driver sounded thoroughly ticked off. I see both last night and this morning that Southern were skip stopping the metro stations again although at least an effort is being made to stop at NXG so someone is listening!

Bishopstone

Established Member
Despite leaving Lewes 3 minutes earlier in the new timetable, my train (06.48) has been 3 minutes late into LBG (08.07 vs 08.04) yesterday and today.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Very poor regulation of services into LBG this morning, our service easily missed PPM and must've stopped at most signals between NXG and LBG - driver sounded thoroughly ticked off. I see both last night and this morning that Southern were skip stopping the metro stations again although at least an effort is being made to stop at NXG so someone is listening!

Yes, back to 'normal' again today - 2B30 was about 10L at LBG - crawled from signal to signal and was overtaken by another train which was on the up Sussex loop.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes, back to 'normal' again today - 2B30 was about 10L at LBG - crawled from signal to signal and was overtaken by another train which was on the up Sussex loop.

Nothing to do with regulation, an outbound train was without a conductor so a fair part of the peak operated with only five platforms.

Indeed something similar happened tonight, albeit this time a trains without a driver.

TrenHotel

Another big closure on the Southeastern side this weekend (and the novelty of trains from Blackfriars to Charlton/Woolwich/etc).

Last edited:

ScotGG

Established Member
Anyone know what works are being carried out at London bridge this weekend?

And do NR/Thameslink publish regular, detailed updates about work like Crossrail do?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Removing the up passenger loop (line to Charing Cross), and reinstating the line through what was platform 5 for trains to Charing Cross. Track alterations either end, signalling alterations also. Demolition of the former platforms 5 and 6. Installing new signal gantries, and various other minor work.

There is no regular update published, but this weekend is likely to feature in a wider piece about engineering work for this weekend.

ScotGG

Established Member
Removing the up passenger loop (line to Charing Cross), and reinstating the line through what was platform 5 for trains to Charing Cross. Track alterations either end, signalling alterations also. Demolition of the former platforms 5 and 6. Installing new signal gantries, and various other minor work.

There is no regular update published, but this weekend is likely to feature in a wider piece about engineering work for this weekend.

Cheers for that. I see unravelled on flickr has just posted a lot of new pics which ties in nicely with that to get a clearer understanding of what's happening.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Does anyone know what non-GX services the 442s are doing at the moment, because if I can't find updated info I will have to remove them from the Frequently Requested Diagrams thread :(

Adam

Daz28

Dire service on the Southeastern side all day today due to signal failure.

It seems that one track / platform is out of use. anyone know what the problem is and why it is taking so long to fix?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Dire service on the Southeastern side all day today due to signal failure.

It seems that one track / platform is out of use. anyone know what the problem is and why it is taking so long to fix?

Double track circuit failure on Up Charing Cross line. Teams been out there for two days and a night, changed every component, rebuilt the track circuits from scratch, and double checked everything. And it still fails. Something very odd about it. Trying again tonight.

Bishopstone

Established Member
The revised am peak timetable seems to be bedding down okay.

The 07.40 LWS-LBG (the 442s) arrived early on both occasions I used it this week, despite an additional call at Balcombe on Tuesday. I don't think I've ever called at Balcombe on a 442 before.

The 18.23 to Eastbourne is also sustaining a better performance, in that the ECS are in on a timely basis and it leaves roughly right-time.

So I'm a happier bunny than I was in the first quarter. It would be churlish not to recognise the improvement and the efforts of all involved.

neilm

Yes much better it has made a huge difference even if it did take 6 months, can someone confirm one thing, the 18:23 to Eastbourne is now a train from Brighton and the 18:12 to littlehampton is now am ecs from streatham hill? It seems they swapped these two around.

FOH

Double track circuit failure on Up Charing Cross line. Teams been out there for two days and a night, changed every component, rebuilt the track circuits from scratch, and double checked everything. And it still fails. Something very odd about it. Trying again tonight.

Sounds familiar ... maybe they need to get the experts with laptops back in

berneyarms

Established Member

The 07.40 LWS-LBG (the 442s) arrived early on both occasions I used it this week, despite an additional call at Balcombe on Tuesday. I don't think I've ever called at Balcombe on a 442 before.

The 18.23 to Eastbourne is also sustaining a better performance, in that the ECS are in on a timely basis and it leaves roughly right-time.

So I'm a happier bunny than I was in the first quarter. It would be churlish not to recognise the improvement and the efforts of all involved.

So do we have a final tally of missed connections for the year to date?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sounds familiar ... maybe they need to get the experts with laptops back in

That's what I thought, but it's a different (older) type of track circuit. No laptop required!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Morning peak into London Bridge has been running at around 95%PPM or above since the change. Compare to Victoria. Or most other London termini for that matter!

Deepgreen

Established Member
The 0840 Redhill to London Bridge (2B30) ran as a four car this morning - for some reason the Reigate portion did not attach at Redhill despite being apparently on time at Reigate - in fact there seemed to be a shuttle operating from Redhill to Reigate for some reason.

FOH

Really frustrating that the 0821 from FOH got cancelled at the last minute and ran fast. I really do not understand why Southern control don't take decisive early action. Not only that, but the announcements at Forest Hill don't announce cancellations like this, you just work it out when 4 in a row LO trains turn up.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Really frustrating that the 0821 from FOH got cancelled at the last minute and ran fast. I really do not understand why Southern control don't take decisive early action. Not only that, but the announcements at Forest Hill don't announce cancellations like this, you just work it out when 4 in a row LO trains turn up.

This is not a defence, but the train was only delayed at 0810, and control would have taken the decision by 0815.

FOH

This is not a defence, but the train was only delayed at 0810, and control would have taken the decision by 0815.

Thanks, hopefully you get my frustration as what with the 0831 having been permanently withdrawn this is a common 30 min service gap in the middle of the rush hour

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Two trees. Both big. The first one damaged the conductor rail. Should be all reopened by 1000.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Two trees. Both big. The first one damaged the conductor rail. Should be all reopened by 1000.

Now that's interesting, because the remains of the tree I saw just south of Forest Hill (up side) were very small - branches no more than 2-3 inches thick. There must have been more debris that I didn't see. It was pretty farcical at East Croydon, with platform staff having no idea whether my train (2B30) would go to Victoria or London Bridge and with the driver insisting that he had been told to go to LBG. East Croydon was made way-out only, but loads of people tried to change trains onto ours, which had not had the Reigate portion attached at Redhill for reasons unknown (for the second time in recent days), and was therefore only four coaches. Incredibly the conductor failed to de-classify first class, but no-one took any notice anyway!

Last edited:

RichJF

This morning was the 2nd worst commute I've ever experienced!

Got to Redhill at 7am - delayed 6:46 to Victoria broke down in Pl 1. Following 2 trains too busy to actually get on! Got the 7:15 to LBG which terminated at Croydon.

Got off; but the bridge was too busy to walk over. Went over to Pl 1 & a train terminated at Pl 2 as another Victoria train arrived. Too busy to get on, went back up to the entrance to get to Pl 4, but this ramp was blocked off to more passengers.

Waited for 10-15mins for a train & got stressed due to the crowds, so got a tram to Elmers End & went to London Bridge.

Left my house at 6:45am & got to work at 9:20am! Eventful to say the least :(

hassaanhc

Established Member
Very bad evening for London Bridge Southeastern side. Multiple signal failures left trains stuck between stations, then many passengers exited trains using the emergency release, which saw power switched off THREE separate times! :o

Minstral25

Established Member
This morning was the 2nd worst commute I've ever experienced!

Got to Redhill at 7am - delayed 6:46 to Victoria broke down in Pl 1. Following 2 trains too busy to actually get on! Got the 7:15 to LBG which terminated at Croydon.

Got off; but the bridge was too busy to walk over. Went over to Pl 1 & a train terminated at Pl 2 as another Victoria train arrived. Too busy to get on, went back up to the entrance to get to Pl 4, but this ramp was blocked off to more passengers.

Waited for 10-15mins for a train & got stressed due to the crowds, so got a tram to Elmers End & went to London Bridge.

Left my house at 6:45am & got to work at 9:20am! Eventful to say the least :(

Have to say didn't quite follow my experience. Arrived about same time (just after 7:00) saw 6:46 in platform - said yippee, jumped on, got a seat and then was informed we all had to get off. However then crossed to platform 2, got on 7:04 to Victoria (which was running 5 late) and managed a seat plus very little standing in my carriage (Coach 12). So I was at work at 8:00 which is normal.

Must say the local on-platform station announcements for the 7:04 also told passengers for London Bridge to take 7:04 to Victoria and get to London Bridge from there as they didn't expect 7:15 to go through. Excellent customer care and unusually professional at Redhill at least I thought considering issues. However station was wedged when I arrived so I probably made a good decision heading for coach 12

Deepgreen

Established Member
Oh they were big. Look out the other window on the way home.

I saw the photo of the trees on the down side. Went home from Victoria on the 1649 to Redhill, which only just made the connection into the FGW 1743 there as the conductor was so late as a knock-on from the morning. Fortunately, we were routed into platform 2 at Redhill, giving cross-platform interchange, otherwise I would probably have missed it going via the crammed stairs and subway.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I saw the photo of the trees on the down side. Went home from Victoria on the 1649 to Redhill, which only just made the connection into the FGW 1743 there as the conductor was so late as a knock-on from the morning. Fortunately, we were routed into platform 2 at Redhill, giving cross-platform interchange, otherwise I would probably have missed it going via the crammed stairs and subway.
Interestingly that morning I was travelling to Haywards Heath and the 8.45 service to Horsham arrived into platform 2. This enables me to vet off the Gatwick Airport bound train from Guildford and board it.

The Gatwick Airport train leaves 8.46 and crawls along non stop behind the 8.45 to Horsham.

I didn't actually save any time doing that in the end as the connecting trains were all after the Gatwick Airport train had arrived. However I was able to get a better look at the stations we stopped at one route.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
News report from last week's Mid Sussex Times.

1279d4682ae94e8f6a86880f7de1478a.jpg

Interestingly the posters at Haywards Heath show orange coloured services on the timetable and the are shown as additional services (new timetable 18 May) or similar word to these.

I wonder if that gives the impression of these being new services when in fact they not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.