• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Manchester via the Midland Mainline: Project Rio MKII?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeLivery

Established Member
I went out to see London Underground's steam special and after I had some time to kill so I thought I'd go West Hampstead get a pic of a de-branded 319 plus some Southern 377s. I checked Realtime for anything special and I saw a ''Project Rio'' service.

EMT ran a direct Manchester Piccadilly to London St. Pancras today. It left at 08:45, stopped at Stockport 08:57, Derby 10:17 and Wellingborough 11:09 - arriving at St P at 12:04. According to Realtime Trains it was booked as a HST though Meridian passed West Hampstead at the booked time instead. However, a HST passed three mins later but Realtime said this would be a Meridian from Sheffield. Can anyone clear this up?

I can't find any other services between St Pancras to Manchester so was this a one off or regular because of Watford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manchester77

Established Member
It wasn't as extensive as project rio was it was one service at around 8:45 to St Pancras and then a return working in the evening to Piccadilly

Hairy Bear

Power cars 43045/047 currently working it.
Possibaly the next 2 weekends as well.
Some meridians also being used on the derby- crewe's as well.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I assume the Wellingborough stop was to cater for diverted Northampton traffic.

The service (1Z18) passed West Hampstead at 1155, 2 minutes earlier than booked. 1C32 from Sheffield was booked to pass at 1153, but was 6 late. There was a Nottingham stopper (1B31) that passed at 1151.

I assume that 1Z18 was booked via Sharnbrook Tunnel too given that it was booked for 22 minutes between Wellingborough and Bedford? In reality it only took 12 minutes so I gather that it didn't at the end.

LeeLivery

Established Member
I assume the Wellingborough stop was to cater for diverted Northampton traffic.

The service (1Z18) passed West Hampstead at 1155, 2 minutes earlier than booked. 1C32 from Sheffield was booked to pass at 1153, but was 6 late. There was a Nottingham stopper (1B31) that passed at 1151.

I assume that 1Z18 was booked via Sharnbrook Tunnel too given that it was booked for 22 minutes between Wellingborough and Bedford? In reality it only took 12 minutes so I gather that it didn't at the end.

The Wellingborough stop did confuse me, as my hometown I was confused but felt a little joy it felt ''important'' haha. As for the timing it must have been the Nottingham I saw then the Manchester. I thought a 5 car Meridian for Manchester couldn't be right. Thanks for that

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yeah, 5-car ones for the Nottingham stopper sounds about right, as they normally are.

sd0733

Established Member
I spoke to a friend who was on it earlier from Manchester to Derby, he said that all the passengers could have fitted in 2 coaches at most, so pretty quiet.

dk1

Veteran Member
Did anyone notice how well it was used?

They never appear to be that successful to me. Take the usual Virgin Pendolino high frequency service away from Manchester & they boycott the railway in disgust.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They never appear to be that successful to me. Take the usual Virgin Pendolino high frequency service away from Manchester & they boycott the railway in disgust.

Perhaps a lack of advanced purchase fares might have something to do with low loadings !

Welshman

Established Member

You could be right.

I seem to remember the original Project Rio being more successful as far as loadings went, but then there was almost an hourly service, and it ran for a longer period of time. Perhaps one train per day in each direction for the next couple of weekends or so isn't long enough for it to get into peoples' mindset - especially, as you say, they're now used to 3tph direct to Euston.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Perhaps a lack of advanced purchase fares might have something to do with low loadings !

And that, too.

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
Once E-W opens, will Watford works result in re-routing to Marylebone or Paddington instead?

Class 170101

Established Member
When Project Rio took place I thought the Railway Press said it ws better used at weekends with less time critical people using the route.

dggar

Looking on National Rail journey planner for
Manchester to Derby for 23rd Aug the 0845 (Calling Derby ,Wellington, St Pancras) doesn't show for me.

Is this a non permitted journey using this train?

LeeLivery

Established Member
Manchester to Derby for 23rd Aug the 0845 (Calling Derby ,Wellington, St Pancras) doesn't show for me.

Wellingborough not Wellington ;)

Tomnick

Established Member

It's pick-up only on the Up and set-down only on the Down, so won't show for Manchester - Derby journeys.

IanM

It's pick-up only on the Up and set-down only on the Down, so won't show for Manchester - Derby journeys.
I was on the 1735 from St Pancras to Derby yesterday evening, pretty much by chance as I'd expected to get the 1726. However, an HST on a train I didn't even know existed is infinitely preferable to the 222 on the 1726, so I travelled on 1Z21. There were 3 other people in my coach, nobody joined the train at Wellingborough and at Derby I alighted together with only about half a dozen others. Despite the fact that it's set down only at Derby at 1919, and quite clearly described as such on the station CIS, 3 people boarded. The timings are pretty slack, we stood several minutes at West Hampstead for no obvious reason (pathing?) but were still on time give or take a minute of two all the way and had several sections at the full 125mph new line speed (max 128 according to the GPS on my phone!).

Last edited:

Mark62

Interesting. It would be great to have a permanent DErby to Manchester Service. The road journey is a nightmare between the towns especially in summer and the train service is non existent without changes at Sheffield or Crewe. There are just three buses a day between the two cities. Who remembers the through St Pancras to Manchester services ran until the early 1980s via the Dore Curve? I travelled on one from Derby with a Peak pulling five corridor MK 1 stock. A glorious journey. Fond memories as we burst out of Totley tunnel at Grindleford at speed.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Interesting. It would be great to have a permanent DErby to Manchester Service. The road journey is a nightmare between the towns especially in summer and the train service is non existent without changes at Sheffield or Crewe. There are just three buses a day between the two cities. Who remembers the through St Pancras to Manchester services ran until the early 1980s via the Dore Curve? I travelled on one from Derby with a Peak pulling five corridor MK 1 stock. A glorious journey. Fond memories as we burst out of Totley tunnel at Grindleford at speed.

I remember using this service during 1973/74 on trips to Toton, travelling from Manchester Picc- Chesterfield & changing there for Nottingham. It was routed via Reddish North, Romiley, Marple obviously then, (pre Hazel Grove Chord)like you say great memories.Would love to travel in compartment stock on the mainline today (especially behind a Peak!) BTW did it depart Piccadilly around 08.00 am. & 18.00 ish Mondays- Sats.?

Olaf

Given the end to end journey time, I would assume most travellers would avoid making the journey unless it was essential.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Given the end to end journey time, I would assume most travellers would avoid making the journey unless it was essential.

I don't know. I get the feeling a lot of InterCity travelers are price sensitive, rather than time sensitive - particularly at the weekends. This is one of the reasons why people are prepared to make interminable coach journeys.

Tomnick

Established Member
Does anyone have any ideas of diagrams for these? I might have to pop up and have a look! :D
Last weekend, two of the diagrams were mostly covered by four-car 222s, one working 0642/0942/1242/1542/1842 ex-Derby and the other working 0742/1042/1342/1642 ex-Derby. The previous week though, if I'm not mistaken, there was only one 222 out, the other diagram being covered by a pair of 158s.

Status
Not open for further replies.