• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Bungle73

On Moderation
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
I used my EC Rewards today on the 08:45am Leeds - London Kings Cross and the 17:33pm Kings Cross - Leeds, full brekkie outward was hot and delicious , half a dozen brews, 2 toast, and coming back drinks trolley came round twice, tea/coffee about four times, I opted to have the "Hot Posh Pork Pie, didnt look anything like pork inside but it was delicious and the Eton Mess was very nice aswell

Great friendly staff on both trains and the trains were on time aswell a good day in all

Was availability better before EC changed the service from paid restaurant to 'complimentary but subject to availability'?

In the main yes, as you would be the only person sat in the restaurant, hense the full choice of menu, but then again thats the reason why the restaurant concept was not sustainable.

Failed Unit

Established Member
In the main yes, as you would be the only person sat in the restaurant, hense the full choice of menu, but then again thats the reason why the restaurant concept was not sustainable.

Not true on the 1700 & 1800 services ex Kings Cross were they had to turn people away. Even the 1600 and 1700 ex-Edinburgh normally ran out of food for anyone joining at York. Never understood why the never restocked these trains.

Can't comment about the Leeds route.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if the breakfast would be really small as my previous EC first class experience wasn't very good. 1 piece of toast.

In my view the East Coast / Virgin Breakfast should be doubled in size which would make it on a par with an Olympic Breakfast at Little Chef.

Lets be honest if any decent hotel provided either versions I feel customers would be disappointed.

They could serve the basic offering and come through the carriages with platters offering extras for those that wished a little more.

Some people have paid hundreds of pounds for a ticket and for reference an Olympic Breakfast is £7.95 at Little Chef :p

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Not true on the 1700 & 1800 services ex Kings Cross were they had to turn people away.
I'd been turned away on the 19:00 too, until I learned the strategy of taking a seat in the restaurant as soon as I boarded, rather than after taking my booked seat elsewhere.

It was rare not to be seated with a diner at every seat.

. . . . . you would be the only person sat in the restaurant, hense the full choice of menu, but then again thats the reason why the restaurant concept was not sustainable.
Although we've discussed it in detail in this thread, I wouldn't like the view that the restaurant was abandoned was due to low numbers of diners entering our folklore. It was as much to do with the allocation of costs which were, in accounting terms, quite perverse and could never realistically have shown a profit even though the restaurant could have done if it wasn't burdened with such costs - costs which remarkably disappeared on 20th May 2011.

Marton

Yes, exactly, they're almost there with the offer except for the following points:
  • clearing up too early (eg Newark on a southbound express)

Or Doncaster when I have boarded at York...

The crew makes the difference. 1730 d KX very good, 1630 d Edinburgh (d York 1855) miserable most days.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Was availability better before EC changed the service from paid restaurant to 'complimentary but subject to availability'?

Not Southbound. Regularly had minimal choice, but better food, at Darlington on the 1600 or 1700 departures from Edinburgh.

At lest there was hot food with vegetables southbound. My gripe isn't breakfast - it's fine - or dinner/evening meal northbound - again reasonable if limited choice - but getting a meal at the end of a busy day when heading south. No potatoes/bread/rice or vegetables with the 'hot option'.

Not true on the 1700 & 1800 services ex Kings Cross were they had to turn people away. Even the 1600 and 1700 ex-Edinburgh normally ran out of food for anyone joining at York. Never understood why the never restocked these trains.

Can't comment about the Leeds route.

I was only going on Leeds services, I agree there was still high demand peak time on anglo-scot. The 1903 Leeds service could be full on Thursday nights sometimes, but this had a lot to do with it being the first super off-peak train. Companies cutting back on expensises for their staff had a huge effect on Leeds runs, the one and only breakfast train (0700 ex Leeds) was lucky to be half full 50% of the time. A shame but EC had to try something different for the Leeds runs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although we've discussed it in detail in this thread, I wouldn't like the view that the restaurant was abandoned was due to low numbers of diners entering our folklore. It was as much to do with the allocation of costs which were, in accounting terms, quite perverse and could never realistically have shown a profit even though the restaurant could have done if it wasn't burdened with such costs - costs which remarkably disappeared on 20th May 2011.

Yes, agreed but it was NX with Mr Bowker and co which started this myth, although EC didnt do anything to question it.

psychstud

I used my EC Rewards today on the 08:45am Leeds - London Kings Cross and the 17:33pm Kings Cross - Leeds, full brekkie outward was hot and delicious , half a dozen brews, 2 toast, and coming back drinks trolley came round twice, tea/coffee about four times, I opted to have the "Hot Posh Pork Pie, didnt look anything like pork inside but it was delicious and the Eton Mess was very nice aswell

Great friendly staff on both trains and the trains were on time aswell a good day in all

My experience was similar to Dave's. I did the 0800 KGX-EDB and was served tea as soon as I sat down, and many times throughout. The hot breakfast order was taken on leaving KGX but took nearly an hour to arrive, and was silver served, rather clumsily, from a platter at seat. The trolley came through at each station stop, and further hot items were served on request. I do agree with other posters about the lack of service close to Edinburgh - very little was offered or provided in the final hour. I think it's rude to keep the morning menu throughout, given on southbound (e.g. 090x DEE-KGX) the all day menu was available (and alcohol served) after Newcastle.

1430 EDB-KGX was good. I was offered, and accepted, meals at Edinburgh, Newcastle and York. The hot pork pie was not as I expected, but very nice. The sandwiches were passable, but agree lacked mayonnaise. Cake, biscuits, bananas all fine.

I found the service to be equivalent to, and better in places than, Virgin's West Coast at comparable times. For those who mourn the restaurant car though, clearly no competition. I always compare first class train offerings to premium economy airline offerings - for me, EC was far superior. For advance tickets (£65 each way) I found it very satisfactory.

HST Power

Established Member
....I always compare first class train offerings to premium economy airline offerings - for me, EC was far superior. For advance tickets (£65 each way) I found it very satisfactory.

Couldn't agree more. I did Premium Economy with Thomson on a London-Maldives flight over Easter. It was awful in both directions. I've never been so uncomfortable on an aircraft. As far as I'm concerned all Premium Economy is is a standard Economy seat, with a couple of degrees extra pitch (barely noticeable) and the odd free drink thrown in on the side. They claim to give you more channels on the television, but its rather insulting that you've paid £1,000 to fly Premium when they sell the TV upgrades in Economy for £5 a pop.

In my opinion, having drawn on my experiences, if you want to travel in a higher class you have to do it properly. Its either Business or First Class.

I'll be doing Stevenage-Newcastle in a fortnight, with a return journey a fortnight after. First Class, obviously. ;)

stut

Established Member
They do fly London to LA and Hong Kong, however!

(Note: I have nothing to do with the airline, but I have been a long time fan of their work!)

The Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy is none too shabby either, and bmi's was pretty good too (not that they're an advert on how to run a successful commercial venture, but I always really enjoyed flying with them...)

Anyway yes, I know, Plane Bashing thread is over =========>

Butts

Veteran Member
They do fly London to LA and Hong Kong, however!

(Note: I have nothing to do with the airline, but I have been a long time fan of their work!)

The Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy is none too shabby either, and bmi's was pretty good too (not that they're an advert on how to run a successful commercial venture, but I always really enjoyed flying with them...)

Anyway yes, I know, Plane Bashing thread is over =========>

Three years ago I got an "Around the World Ticket" with Air New Zealand they are the only Airline from the UK that could do it flying just on their aircraft and no one elses.

London-Hong Kong-Auckland-Sydney-Auckland-Los Angeles-London (less £1k)

Their normal economy and service was very good :p

HST Power

Established Member
Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy is none too shabby either

I can believe that, I've never flown with them but they're a brand I trust. We nearly flew with them last year but we went with Thomson (big mistake) instead.

If you want an awesome First Class cabin check this:

http://www.emirates.com/english/flying/cabin_features/first_class/first_class.aspx

Click the 'see more photos' option. I have to admit, a First Class flight from London to the Emirates is on my list of things to do, unfortunately that day is still a long way off! :p

Last edited:

furryfeet

reasonable assumption. Maybe worth some IC TOCs starting WEF after 20:00 Friday?
Midland Main Line used to have Weekend First on trains leaving your station after 1900 hours on a Friday, but then it was dropped, for some reason.

As suggested, it may well be worth some TOCs making the effort and see if it eases some of the overcrowding on the Friday night getaway.

calc7

Established Member
Midland Main Line used to have Weekend First on trains leaving your station after 1900 hours on a Friday, but then it was dropped, for some reason.

As suggested, it may well be worth some TOCs making the effort and see if it eases some of the overcrowding on the Friday night getaway.

What price would you suggest?
I find it hard to imagine they would make a profit against the additional staff required and the backdrop expectation of "complimentary" alcohol and food.

Butts

Veteran Member
Back to the catering - a thought occurred to me on the 0800 from Edinburgh to Alnmouth this morning :idea:

Whats the shortest journey you could normally expect a Full Breakfast on -I got one today (journey less than 1hr) Sat in K (on a"4" not my seat")

Has anyone got one on the 40 minute jaunt from Edinburgh to Berwick upon Tweed :p

Incidentally a rare insight into Cross Country catering - was supposed to be returning on the 1911 Alnmouth Service but due to East Coast problem "down south" ended up on the Cross Country Service to Edinburgh (ticket restrictions lifted)

Nice suprise it was not a Voyager but a proper "East Coast" type Train with an excellent 1st Class (2 carriages I think) didn't know CC had any of these.
Hot Footed it to Buffet and managed to purloin Two Sandwiches, a Muffin, pkt Shortbread and Coffee gratis. No Booze or Crisps permitted :oops: Just made it in time as guy was cashing up. Had whole carriage to myself not bad for an £11.55 outlay !!!

Established Member
I've had a breakfast between Newcastle and Darlington before, so could have got off and got another one if I really wanted to.

calc7

Established Member
I've seen somebody down two drinks and dinner between Stockport and Crewe. Lad.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
got one between Aberdeen and dundee, just over the hour I know but tend to find crews on the 07:52 quite slow.

Friday WEF? £30 up to 2 hrs and £40 after that with only 1 free boozy drink but dedicated coach for Friday night WEFers and paid for drinks at seat.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Back to the catering - a thought occurred to me on the 0800 from Edinburgh to Alnmouth this morning :idea:

Whats the shortest journey you could normally expect a Full Breakfast on -I got one today (journey less than 1hr) Sat in K (on a"4" not my seat")

Has anyone got one on the 40 minute jaunt from Edinburgh to Berwick upon Tweed :p

I did this exact journey last week but in reverse, Alnmouth to Edinburgh. Breakfast service had stopped by Berwick though, but I imagine it would be easier to get one in the other direction. Have to say, the breakfast was delicious and the service very efficient.

I also recently travelled in First from Peterborough to Hull and again, I was very impressed with the service. The crew were extremely friendly and even fetched a Coke from the buffet from me because they had run out of the complimentary cans. Tried the salmon sandwiches and I have to say they were delicious. Even had a second drinks run after Doncaster, when I had a bit of a chat to the lady about the quietness of the train (I was the only person in my carriage beyond Newark!).

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Long may it continue so those of us who sensibly avoid coach M and revel in a "4" to ourselves having paid a miniscule fare for the privilege :p

Surprisingly it was coach M I was in that was empty!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In the last twelve months or so I've only ever been in first once where it was so busy that every bay of seating had at least two people in it and once where I've had to share a bay of four with another person. Every other time I've been able to get an entire bay of four to myself.