• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

sbatts43

Instead of people worrying about have they got this that and another food on their service, why don`t you bring your own. It`s far cheaper and I have had no problems. What`s more they allow you to do It on First Great Western as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Instead of people worrying about have they got this that and another food on their service, why don't you bring your own. It's far cheaper and I have had no problems. What's more they allow you to do It on First Great Western as well.

Tricky if you want something hot a couple of hours into your journey.

Given the Eat Coast complementary service I'm not sure how it's cheaper.

dave87016

Established Member
Well this morning on the 09.15am Leeds - Kings X tea/coffee was offered 4 times, bacon roll and 2 slices of toast were very nice and enjoyable

The 14.00 Kings X to Aberdeen ( i will alight at Edinburgh we just passed Grantham and sandwiches and bakewell cup cake along with
2 alcoholic beverages and 2 tea/coffee very good service on both trains not bad at all given i used my rewards tickets

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
For the first time this evening, I tried this dish from Rotation 3 : "Moroccan chickpea tagine with a fruity couscous & harissa". As one of the crew honestly added, 'it wouldn't have been my first choice', but I have to say that it was absolutely delicious! and unexpectedly spicy. A very welcome compliment to the usual wine, chocolate cake, and (I'm pleased to see on-board again) the fruit.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Thanks to those who responded to my post last week.

I caught the 08.30 Kings Cross - Newcastle yesterday, diverted via the Hertford loop due to a fatality at Hatfield. Excellent breakfast with a really tasty sausage; two runs of the toast trolley with two slices offered on both occasions (one before and one during/after the main meal); half a dozen tea/coffee/juice refills offered and two sets of biscuits, later in the journey.

After a spin out to South Shields on the Metro, and my first trip on the Shields Ferry, I walked some of the breakfast off in the climb up to North Shields Metro station!

I had an Advance First for Newcastle - York with XC, mid-afternoon, as my last trip on XC was back in Virgin days. Credit to the crew, who turned around the late inbound train in literally three minutes. Tea, mozzarella and tomato panini, and crisps were served before Darlington.

After 90 minutes in the NRM, it was back to London on the 18.01 from York, which starts there. I went for the Moroccan chickpea tagine as a healthy option, and thought it made a welcome change from the usual heavy pies/quiches etc. I'm not a big drinker but had a cider, and the drinks trolley passed through once more, later on. The sweet trolley also came by twice, and cake and banana were accepted. There were three or four tea/coffee passes, I think.

Certainly a cut above the Virgin offer in generosity/quality, and a pleasant day out.

cf111

Established Member
Thanks to those who responded to my post last week.

I caught the 08.30 Kings Cross - Newcastle yesterday, diverted via the Hertford loop due to a fatality at Hatfield. Excellent breakfast with a really tasty sausage; two runs of the toast trolley with two slices offered on both occasions (one before and one during/after the main meal); half a dozen tea/coffee/juice refills offered and two sets of biscuits, later in the journey.

After a spin out to South Shields on the Metro, and my first trip on the Shields Ferry, I walked some of the breakfast off in the climb up to North Shields Metro station!

I had an Advance First for Newcastle - York with XC, mid-afternoon, as my last trip on XC was back in Virgin days. Credit to the crew, who turned around the late inbound train in literally three minutes. Tea, mozzarella and tomato panini, and crisps were served before Darlington.

After 90 minutes in the NRM, it was back to London on the 18.01 from York, which starts there. I went for the Moroccan chickpea tagine as a healthy option, and thought it made a welcome change from the usual heavy pies/quiches etc. I'm not a big drinker but had a cider, and the drinks trolley passed through once more, later on. The sweet trolley also came by twice, and cake and banana were accepted. There were three or four tea/coffee passes, I think.

Certainly a cut above the Virgin offer in generosity/quality, and a pleasant day out.

Seems like an enjoyable trip! Must admit I found Virgin's offer quite good last time I used them from Glasgow to London, mind you that was via Birmingham and I think the number of stops improves the service.

Managed to grab myself a 1st Class single for £33.65 on the Highland Chieftain from King's Cross on the 6th of May, not bad ;). I noticed the menu will change beforehand (assuming so anyway, as the rotations on the website at the moment don't make it that far) so I wonder what I'll get food-wise.

westv

Established Member
Instead of people worrying about have they got this that and another food on their service, why don't you bring your own. It's far cheaper and I have had no problems. What's more they allow you to do It on First Great Western as well.
I almost spat my coffee out when I read this. Bring our own?! First class people don't "bring their own".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For the first time this evening, I tried this dish from Rotation 3 : "Moroccan chickpea tagine with a fruity couscous & harissa". As one of the crew honestly added, 'it wouldn't have been my first choice', but I have to say that it was absolutely delicious! and unexpectedly spicy. A very welcome compliment to the usual wine, chocolate cake, and (I'm pleased to see on-board again) the fruit.

Chocolate cake?

Squaddie

I almost spat my coffee out when I read this. Bring our own?! First class people don't "bring their own".
"Real" first class people most certainly do: a takeaway salad or sandwich from Little Waitrose and a coffee from Caffe Nero are not only better quality than the onboard food but also make it clear that you're not only travelling in first class for the freebies. :lol:

Chrism20

Established Member
two runs of the toast trolley with two slices offered on both occasions

TWO SLICES OF TOAST??? AND TWICE????

Pass me a fan someone please.....

I'm on the 0800 from EDB Friday morning. Last time I got one glass of orange juice all the way to KGX so any improvement will be welcome.
On the 0800 from EDB which is the Glasgow service.

Food order taken as we were leaving Edinburgh and was served within five minutes. Unfortunately I think they started cooking it on the platform at Glasgow Central and forgot to stop it as everything including the tomato was slightly charred.

Have just left Darlington and a second offer of toast and juice has been made - I'm being spoiled this morning.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Just a quick note to inform you all that the so called "toastgate" is still on going. A lady sat near me dared to ask for one slice of white and brown, only to be informed that she could only have one or the other, not both. Not exactly a positive image of East Coast First Class. Id understand if the lady was asking for several slices of toast..

trainophile

Established Member
Just a quick note to inform you all that the so called "toastgate" is still on going. A lady sat near me dared to ask for one slice of white and brown, only to be informed that she could only have one or the other, not both. Not exactly a positive image of East Coast First Class. Id understand if the lady was asking for several slices of toast..

What on earth is the logic behind that? Wracking my brain and I can't think of a single sensible reason. Buck up East Coast, your good reputation is at stake here.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Buck up East Coast, your good reputation is at stake here.

I've noticed lately they've really being lacking! I can only think that they are getting ready for the franchise change and so everything is stepping back so that the new franchisee doesn't look bad when they remove/change things around.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Anyone have any idea what the new menu is going to have on offer when the current one finishes at the end of the month? I'm travelling again in a few weeks in mid May.

Marionaki

Anyone have any idea what the new menu is going to have on offer when the current one finishes at the end of the month? I'm travelling again in a few weeks in mid May.

I also would be interested to know, as I am travelling in May, too. Probably we will only know when it is announced after the 27th of April on the East Coast website.

yorks808

I'm booked on an East Coast on a 1st class advance ticket from Stevenage to Leeds next Saturday (meant to be from Kings X but engineering work so having to go by underground from KGX to Finsbury Park then 1st CC to Stevenage).

What kind of service can I expect to get onboard? Complimentary paper, drinks, food...
Is the weekend service the same as weekdays?

Edit: I'm new to the forum, 1st post..

Last edited:

Squaddie

What kind of service can I expect to get onboard? Complimentary paper, drinks, food...
The East Coast website says
On weekends and bank holidays, passengers are served a breakfast roll first thing and thereafter a choice of sandwiches, crisps and cake. Alcoholic drinks and hot food are available to purchase from our Foodbar.
but the comments in this thread seem to suggest that you shouldn't rely on the advertised service actually being offered.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry, I don't understand what that means.

The service is limited i.e. on weekends there are no hot meals, no alcoholic drinks and the presentation is less (no plates and the use of plastic cup for instance).

On a weekday there is hot food, free alcoholic drinks, food is served on plates and cold drinks are in glasses.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The service is limited i.e. on weekends there are no hot meals, no alcoholic drinks and the presentation is less (no plates and the use of plastic cup for instance).

On a weekday there is hot food, free alcoholic drinks, food is served on plates and cold drinks are in glasses.

All is now clear, thanks - I did know about the difference in levels of service, but for some reason I couldn't make any sense of that.

'Weekend service is limited to cold food and soft drinks, tea/coffee etc'

or 'Weekend service is more limited than the weekday service'. I must be thick tonight :D

SGS

I'm booked on an East Coast on a 1st class advance ticket from Stevenage to Leeds next Saturday (meant to be from Kings X but engineering work so having to go by underground from KGX to Finsbury Park then 1st CC to Stevenage).

Is the weekend service the same as weekdays?

Edit: I'm new to the forum, 1st post..

If you're going in the morning, the weekend breakfast is feeble - the weirdest croissant you've ever tasted, and possibly a yogurt. You'll need to take something on board if you're skipping breakfast at home. The rest of the day it's sandwiches, crisps, biscuits, tea, coffee, water, coke, orange juice, which are OK. You've got to love the flowery language they use on the menu to describe the sandwiches.

Butts

Veteran Member
If you're going in the morning, the weekend breakfast is feeble - the weirdest croissant you've ever tasted, and possibly a yogurt. You'll need to take something on board if you're skipping breakfast at home. The rest of the day it's sandwiches, crisps, biscuits, tea, coffee, water, coke, orange juice, which are OK. You've got to love the flowery language they use on the menu to describe the sandwiches.

Are the sandwiches still in packs at the weekend as opposed to loose during the week ?

If so they used to be a lot bigger and more filling than the weekday variety.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
We're on menu rotation 3 this week, but a nice variation today was hot cross buns (served with butter) instead of the cake.

Oh, and plenty apples (see my winge ad passim).

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
I travelled from Edinburgh to Stevenage yesterday afternoon. The crew were very efficient at serving everyone. Tea/coffee was served about 5 minutes before we departed from Waverley and orders for the hot food were also taken then so that the requested item would be reserved for us - we were asked when ordering what time we wanted it to be served (i.e. in a few minutes, at Newcastle or at York). I had the chicken tikka pie which was quite filling.
There was also plenty of fruit on the trolley (apples and bananas though some of the latter were fairly green).

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I spent the day in the clutches of East Coast yesterday doing Darlington to Aberdeen and back and I have to say the service throughout was excellent. Hot/cold drinks and breakfast order taken straight after Darlington served by Newcastle and was very tasty. Another run of drinks after Newcastle and Berwick. Change of crew and menu (to All Day) after Edinburgh and another run of drinks and food orders I had two of the cheese and two of the salmon and they were both very nice as was the chocolate cake. More drinks before and after Dundee. Trip outbound was fantastic and the crew after Edinburgh was brilliant.

Return journey was afternoon tea from Aberdeen and we got two/three rounds of drinks and one run of food for each station called at (so everyone got one shot at the food) as far as Edinburgh. Slight crew change and they served the All Day menu with food and drinks served on departure and another drinks run after Berwick and Newcastle. I had the pie which was very tasty and well filled with chicken tikka. The only slight change I would make to the All Day menu is to offer an 'enhanced' service around tea time departures from principle stations. By which I mean, for example, serve the pie with a side of chips or perhaps New Potatoes. Something that won't add a lot of cost or complicate preparation but would make it more suitable for a evening meal (but doesn't require the crew/time/money that the full Evening Meal menu requires). As things go, however, this is a tiny niggle and not a complaint.

Overall fantastic service from East Coast and a lovely day.

Fruit (apples and bananas) in evidence on every food trolley.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Didnt realize 14:52x Aberdeen was Afternoon tea - on the odd occasion iv used it its been all-day but may well be due to stock availabilitty. Not long till the new menue now, wonder what we'll get? I do wonder if things might be simplified a bit as they have been with the standard buffet menue change?
another thought Iv had, and this one for the mods, given where this thread is going these days, would it not be better off in trip planning and reports?

Last edited: