• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

FOH

I also would be interested to know, as I am travelling in May, too. Probably we will only know when it is announced after the 27th of April on the East Coast website.

Travelling today on the first day post the dates on the website and I've had R1 November 2013 on the menu.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
The last time I traveled First with EC was around the time of a menu refresh and they had a sort of mish-mash of the previous menus.

Northbound Chieftain next week for me after taking the sleeper down, so looking forward to that. 1st Class Advance for the princely sum of £33.65 with a railcard ;).

Marionaki

Travelling today on the first day post the dates on the website and I've had R1 November 2013 on the menu.

I might be treated to R2 November 2013 next week, then. On Facebook East Coast said that the new menu will be announced at the end of this month.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This is from East Coast:
The menu rotation from 28/04 has reverted to the current rotation. The actual menu changes won't come into play until 13/05.

Chrism20

Established Member
This is the same every menu change. Given that they know the dates as they set them themselves it's amazing that they cannot stick to them

fraser158

Not strictly related to first class but today one of the Inverness catering crew retired after 40 years of service.

He was piped off the train on arrival at Inverness tonight.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Not strictly related to first class but today one of the Inverness catering crew retired after 40 years of service.

He was piped off the train on arrival at Inverness tonight.

Cant think of his name but think I know the chap your talking about. Nice that coleegs at Inverness marked his retiral this way and Im sure hel be missed. Hel have seen a few changes in 40 years!↲

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
A new feature this morning on the 0650 ex GLC to greet departing Scots - coach M has bagpipe drones (Hollywood style - a drone of a perfect 5th, G and D, and yes I know bagpipes don't actually do that). Something electrical no doubt since the G at bang on 98Hz is a near miss for 2nd harmonic mains hum. Brigadoon on at breakfast! Hopefully the coach will get noisier as it fills up otherwise I'll be hearing phantom bagpipes for the rest of the day.

That's the fastest service I've had yet - coffee served as we roll out Glasgow Central and breakfast order already taken.

36" sample of said drone (now a smaller MP3 file):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxd9jia93gdhjr5/East Coast Bagpipes.mp3

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
A new feature this morning on the 0650 ex GLC to greet departing Scots - coach M has bagpipe drones (Hollywood style - a drone of a perfect 5th, G and D, and yes I know bagpipes don't actually do that). Something electrical no doubt since the G at bang on 98Hz is a near miss for 2nd harmonic mains hum. Brigadoon on at breakfast! Hopefully the coach will get noisier as it fills up otherwise I'll be hearing phantom bagpipes for the rest of the day.

That's the fastest service I've had yet - coffee served as we roll out Glasgow Central and breakfast order already taken.

Trouble is you'll be hungry again by Newcastle and lucky if you even get offered another bit of toast :p

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Trouble is you'll be hungry again by Newcastle and lucky if you even get offered another bit of toast :p

Hey! Just realised - I didn't get my toast - must have been too busy on my phone and missed the trolley.

EDIT: Sorted!
And bagpipe noises now linked to previous post.

Last edited:

Marionaki

I took the east coast train first class today from Edinburgh (16.30) to Kings Cross. What a pleasant journey. The crew were very nice and two of them left at Newcastle and two others joined the train. Coach M was full, coach L (where I sat), had maybe 12 people and coach K was maybe one third full or less. Now for the complimentary food, rotation 2, All Day Menu:
Leaving Edinburgh: coffee, tea was served immediately. Food orders were taken. Alcoholic and soft drinks came around quickly, too. I ordered the broccoli and cheese flan and it was more than delicious! I also got crisps and a slice of Earl grey loaf cake.
Leaving Berwick: Coffee and tea was offered.
Leaving Newcastle:Coffee, tea was offered. Food orders were taken again! I had the sandwiches (four triangles), crisps and the cake. There was also fresh food on offer. Bananas, apples.
Leaving Darlington: coffee, tea was offered.
Leaving York: coffee, tea was offered. Alcoholic and soft drinks were offered. AND: food orders were taken AGAIN!!! I declined! I could not eat anymore! I was stuffed by then!
Before arriving Stevenage: coffee and tea was offered. And alcoholic and soft drinks offered as well! The train left on time and arrived on time. It was my first time taking the East Coast trains and it was a great experience.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Sounds like the MA to me...

Master of Arts?
Marin Academy?
Minnehaha Academy?
Museums Association?
Mechanical alloying?
Medical assistant?
Metabolic acidosis?
Metabolic alkalosis?
Methyl anthranilate ?
Moving average?
Martin's axiom?
Madagascar?
Massachusetts?
Metropolitan area?
Morocco?
Memory Alpha?
Metal Archives?
Marijuana Anonymous?
Martial arts?
Malév (Hungarian) Airlines?
Motorcycling Australia?
Miss America?
Master at Arms?
My A*se? (has been known to produce similar noises)

or just possibly,
Motor Alternator?

:D

ryan125hst

Established Member

36" sample of said drone (now a smaller MP3 file):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxd9jia93gdhjr5/East Coast Bagpipes.mp3

That sounds normal for a Mark IV to me. I'm guessing you don't travel on them/stand on a platform near them often?

Nym said:
Sounds like the MA to me...

PaxVobiscum said:
Master of Arts?
Marin Academy?
Minnehaha Academy?
Museums Association?
Mechanical alloying?
Medical assistant?
Metabolic acidosis?
Metabolic alkalosis?
Methyl anthranilate ?
Moving average?
Martin's axiom?
Madagascar?
Massachusetts?
Metropolitan area?
Morocco?
Memory Alpha?
Metal Archives?
Marijuana Anonymous?
Martial arts?
Malév (Hungarian) Airlines?
Motorcycling Australia?
Miss America?
Master at Arms?
My A*se? (has been known to produce similar noises)

or just possibly,
Motor Alternator?

Actually, I thought they had static converters, but they do the same job: Convert the 1000V DC Electric Train Supply to the lower voltages needed by the train's systems. I don't know what voltages are used exactly, but i'm guessing 415V three phase for heating and air conditioning, from which they take 230V for lighting and the plug sockets etc, and a lower voltage for control circuits and battery charging.

I don't know why they sound like they do with the sound frequency changing like that. They were probably one of the first trains to have static inverters instead of motor alternators, so I'm guessing it's due to the equipment age. You can hear the inverters on newer trains, but I've not heard any making that noise.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was tempted by the £25 upgrade today, as my assigned seat was a bit rubbish (backwards facing aisle seat with a view of a pillar)

On walking through the train I found that carriage D was pretty much empty, so I got a table seat. Would have been worth it, £25 for 8 hours.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Well, the new 'summer' menus start on Monday.
Again, it will be 4 menus which change every Monday. Services today have been slightly short as some of the 'old' lines were run down.

But what will be on the new menus? Well the only dish that I and my crew this evening can remember is a Baileys cheesecake, proposed by one of the chefs.
I guess we'll loose the spicy chick peas (never going to be a favourite, but one of the most enjoyable mixture of flavours I've eaten this winter).
I'll report back on Monday after my first taste from the first of the new menus.

Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Again, it will be 4 menus which change every Monday. Services today have been slightly short as some of the 'old' lines were run down.

But what will be on the new menus? Well the only dish that I and my crew this evening can remember is a Baileys cheesecake, proposed by one of the chefs.
I guess we'll loose the spicy chick peas (never going to be a favourite, but one of the most enjoyable mixture of flavours I've eaten this winter).
I'll report back on Monday after my first taste from the first of the new menus.

I'm glad about this as I'm off to the smoke this week and thought we might get another week of the old ones so it will be a nice change.

Baileys cheesecake? I hope they don't see this as an opportunity for one less run through with the scotch! That would be just up their street. Excuse me can I have a drink to go with my dessert? Didn't you have the baileys? Sorry you're only allowed one.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Oh, no they didn't!

They should have done, though the manuals for preparing and serving the new dishes only appeared today, without the actual stock.

As a consequence, the current offering is a mixture of items from the previous rotations, and the printed menus are not representative of what is actually going to be available.

I'm told the new menus will now be introduced next Monday. Hmmmm.

Butts

Veteran Member
Had a trip to Alnmouth and back from Edinburgh on Saturday with my Daughter.

Coffee, Sandwiches, Crisps , Pop and Muffins/Shortbread both ways served promptly.

A lot better than my Daughter got on Virgin from Glasgow to Wolverhampton the following day (Sunday)

Tea/Coffee Water and one of those crappy boxes - no pop available :cry:

Chrism20

Established Member
Well the 0830 from EDB Tuesday morning was an interesting one. After the nine minute address to the commonwealth by the guard regarding everything from tickets to toilets the food service followed.

- Food order, no issues.
- Toast, rationed one slice, one butter - on a large plate that the breakfast is normally served on
- Breakfast served, or should I say announced very loudly when served so everyone knew what the other was eating
- Mushrooms now appear to be in the same category as toast, two the size of 5p pieces and served on the small plate that the toast should be on so presentation was out the window.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well the 0830 from EDB Tuesday morning was an interesting one. After the nine minute address to the commonwealth by the guard regarding everything from tickets to toilets the food service followed.

- Food order, no issues.
- Toast, rationed one slice, one butter - on a large plate that the breakfast is normally served on
- Breakfast served, or should I say announced very loudly when served so everyone knew what the other was eating
- Mushrooms now appear to be in the same category as toast, two the size of 5p pieces and served on the small plate that the toast should be on so presentation was out the window.

Was the service busy, and which carriage were you in ?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
On the 0650 from Glasgow. I got 2x2 slices of toast and jam and marmalade each time. The 3rd time they came round if was only for passengers from Newcastle and beyond. I bailed into STD just before York.

The fruit shortage continues.

Chrism20

Established Member
Was the service busy, and which carriage were you in ?

A high numbered seat in L. It's an HST and L was less than 40% full leaving Edinburgh, I don't even think it got to 60% by York. M looked about the same when I went for a wander around Peterborough.

Back tomorrow on the 0930.

Marionaki

I took the east coast train first class today from Edinburgh (16.30) to Kings Cross. What a pleasant journey. The crew were very nice and two of them left at Newcastle and two others joined the train. Coach M was full, coach L (where I sat), had maybe 12 people and coach K was maybe one third full or less. Now for the complimentary food, rotation 2, All Day Menu:
Leaving Edinburgh: coffee, tea was served immediately. Food orders were taken. Alcoholic and soft drinks came around quickly, too. I ordered the broccoli and cheese flan and it was more than delicious! I also got crisps and a slice of Earl grey loaf cake.
Leaving Berwick: Coffee and tea was offered.
Leaving Newcastle:Coffee, tea was offered. Food orders were taken again! I had the sandwiches (four triangles), crisps and the cake. There was also fresh food on offer. Bananas, apples.
Leaving Darlington: coffee, tea was offered.
Leaving York: coffee, tea was offered. Alcoholic and soft drinks were offered. AND: food orders were taken AGAIN!!! I declined! I could not eat anymore! I was stuffed by then!
Before arriving Stevenage: coffee and tea was offered. And alcoholic and soft drinks offered as well! The train left on time and arrived on time. It was my first time taking the East Coast trains and it was a great experience.

Actually there were four rounds of alcoholic drinks, not three. And on each of the three times I was offered food, there was fresh fruit, bananas and apples, as well!

Chrism20

Established Member
Back to EDB on the 09:30 this morning.

Given the option of breakfast when leaving the cross or lunch after Doncaster. I hadn't tried the tikka pie and had grabbed a bacon sandwich at the hotel so thought I'd leave it till lunch.

The breakfast offer passed and apparently if you opt for lunch you can't have a croissant or pastry to go with your coffee, I'm guessing this means toast also. If I'd known this if have grabbed one from Nero.

The Crew Leader wasn't having a good morning, she dropped two cooked breakfast and then a glass which shattered.

Lunch following Doncaster. The pie was very nice and was a welcome change.

Change of crew at Darlington/Newcastle and then offered everything again following Newcastle.

Same guard as the outbound on Tuesday. He's managed to get his speech down to about 7.5 minutes. I know they have to go through the safety stuff etc but is there really any need for an address that lasts to nearly Morpeth?

Three runs of the Scotch following Doncaster isn't too bad for a Thursday lunchtime.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes that pie is very tasty in my experience. I hope it's survived the menu change.

Butts

Veteran Member
A high numbered seat in L. It's an HST and L was less than 40% full leaving Edinburgh, I don't even think it got to 60% by York. M looked about the same when I went for a wander around Peterborough.

Back tomorrow on the 0930.

If you are sitting in J or K where the trolley is "loaded" as it has just started the run the toast tends to be more forthcoming. :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Back to EDB on the 09:30 this morning.

Given the option of breakfast when leaving the cross or lunch after Doncaster. I hadn't tried the tikka pie and had grabbed a bacon sandwich at the hotel so thought I'd leave it till lunch.

The breakfast offer passed and apparently if you opt for lunch you can't have a croissant or pastry to go with your coffee, I'm guessing this means toast also. If I'd known this if have grabbed one from Nero.
The Crew Leader wasn't having a good morning, she dropped two cooked breakfast and then a glass which shattered.

Lunch following Doncaster. The pie was very nice and was a welcome change.

Change of crew at Darlington/Newcastle and then offered everything again following Newcastle.

Same guard as the outbound on Tuesday. He's managed to get his speech down to about 7.5 minutes. I know they have to go through the safety stuff etc but is there really any need for an address that lasts to nearly Morpeth?

Three runs of the Scotch following Doncaster isn't too bad for a Thursday lunchtime.

How tight is that - absurd logic plenty of Scotch but no croissant :roll: